Return to “REKT”

Re: REKT: Mission Thread

Squidhead wrote: "Francis, Kai'isha, the corpse of goatman should still be in the airlock, why dont you use his hand to operate the controls?"

"Karthus, BFett, how about you helping foreigner killing that last drone behind me there? I have to disassemble alien tech here."

"Hey doctor! Catch!"
toss Cha0zz a roll of duct tape

takes up isssss-hh and puts him on the apex of his sphere body
"hey there, try to eat not more than you have to to secure yourself up there, i like my structural materials"

If there are some obvious screws along the pillar of the glowing orb ((where i could detach the pillar from the ground or split the pillar)) take a screwdriver or wrench to get them of, otherwise use the blowtorch to sever the pillar from the ground somewhere low-ish.
when the pillar including orb is separated take isssss-hh, the pillar, stuff the medkit into the repair kit box and take the repair kit and then take whatever stuff i can carry along with me and go to the airlock

Dinosawer wrote:"What's a Mimir and why is it sending ships at us?

Anyway, the mission's not a failure, I think I know what the orb is, kind of... I touched it and saw..things..."
I describe the vision I had.

((
Spoiler:      SHOW
The pull is too strong, and you simply don't care - so you give in to it, letting it pull you in.

...and pull you in it does.

The moment your hand enters the swirling vortex, you realize that something terribly unnatural is happening - something so far beyond your realm of experience that you can't even put words into it. You feel your consciousness stripped from your body - from your very soul, were such things real - and thrown into that blackened void. As the room trembles, shakes, and turns in upon itself, you see rivulets like black beads streaming quickly up your arm like an army of ants in thin, straight lines - your vision blurs with a sizzling, steamy sound, and you find yourself in darkness.

...and yet, there is no darkness here at all. The light is gone... and the darkness is gone. In the absence of the two, something new has emerged to fill their place - not light, nor dark - something new. Something extraordinary - something you suddenly have the understanding to describe, if your language simply possessed the words to try. You float in an ether - you feel what you see - physically, emotionally feel. You feel like a newborn child first opening its eyes to view the light - in your mind's eye, you can see things you never thought possible... and yet your eyes are still closed.

For the moment, your pain is gone - you feel entirely disconnected from your body, and yet there is some sense lingering in your mind that you are still there - that you can see what is. For some reason you attach a special importance to these words - an importance you'd never assigned them previously - and you don't fully understand it. And yet... another part of your mind whispers in suggestion that perhaps you were never truly meant to.

Your eyes still closed, you "look around", and find you can picture the room you're sitting in with immaculate detail. Most things remain the same - however, you notice something different about the computer console almost immediately. You're able to shift your vantage point elsewhere, and send yourself up towards the ceiling for a better view.

The computer console has ceased shifting - if possible, the buttons on it look more stable than you've ever seen them - there just seem to be different "layers" to them - different "dimensions"... it's difficult to comprehend. The number of "dimensions" or "layers" seems to be finite, but stable - they number in the dozens. You then shift your view to the walls surrounding the lower floor - they seem to be within a shell of multi-layered materials as well. Each layer has its own unique properties and makeup - and somehow you can see them - or sense them - through the rock and metal walls. But beyond those layers, your sight goes dark. You strain for a moment, trying to see farther - but find yourself slipping slowly back to your body. You struggle against it, trying harder to retain the vision, but it doesn't seem to be something you can control through willpower alone.

And the vision fades.
))
So, that means, I think, that the aliens are interdimensional, or interuniversal - we see shifting buttons and panels because we try to see all instances at once. I'm not exactly sure what they used the orb for though..."
Interesting... I definitely want you back here on the Tartarus. We'll get a room prepped for you, fix your leg, and then see if we can extract any useful visual data from your memories. There are as yet no known interdimensional species - we could learn a thing or two from this.

Mimir is our... competitor. They're somewhat better funded, but only because they operate on a less-than-legal level. They use guerrilla tactics and skulduggery to achieve their goals. Not people you'd like to be around, I'm sure, and they seem to be interested in this place. Of course, we got here first, so they can fukc off.

((I'll have SCAMPS reply to Dr. Cha0zz's stuff during the next turn.))
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

BFett wrote:"Squidhead I'm trying to determine what controls the drone. With any luck I'll hack into the correct console and be able to shut the drone down and maybe even allow us access up stairs."
Squidhead wrote: "we dont need luck right now, we only need you three ganging up on that drone, we already got thirteen of them, so one more should not be any obstacle worth the risk of you just getting lost in the systems trying to hunt a drone thats like 3 metres away from you.
take your weapon and shoot it goddammit!!"

"ya, im on it. I would like to get my suit fixed, so we can get out of here"
walk around to the opposite side of the stasis pod and shoot at the drone from there. If its going to shoot at me, get into cover.
Scytale wrote: Look, I know people suck. That's the whole point! My question is, are you going to be as horrible as the mob, or are you going to work to be better?

Thinking: that was fun. Should try again one day. Well, today. Actually right now. That's motivating this call to action, this urge...

((After beeing taken by Squidhead))

...ok. Well. Next time.

Saying: that was sooooo coool!

Doing: holding tight and discreetly taste Squidhead's armous/skin/whatever. But no glutony - really just a polite nip.

Talvieno wrote: Interesting... I definitely want you back here on the Tartarus. We'll get a room prepped for you, fix your leg, and then see if we can extract any useful visual data from your memories. There are as yet no known interdimensional species - we could learn a thing or two from this.

Mimir is our... competitor. They're somewhat better funded, but only because they operate on a less-than-legal level. They use guerrilla tactics and skulduggery to achieve their goals. Not people you'd like to be around, I'm sure, and they seem to be interested in this place. Of course, we got here first, so they can fukc off.

((I'll have SCAMPS reply to Dr. Cha0zz's stuff during the next turn.))
"Ah, the old "Acquiris Quodcumquae Rapis".
Didn't know Tartarus had an evil twin. I like being around evil people though - gives me something to shoot. >:D"

(( :ghost: ))
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

"Oh, by the way, Kai'isha, your ship isn't really in a flying condition - I tried to land it earlier and even that didn't work out. It kind of...crashed.
But don't worry, we'll get you back safely - someone can just tow it with their ships, using the landing camps to drag it.
And don't forget your repair kit that's still in the hangar."
Last edited by Dinosawer on Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

Dinosawer wrote: "Ah, the old "Acquiris Quodcumquae Rapis".
Didn't know Tartarus had an evil twin. I like being around evil people though - gives me something to shoot. >:D"

(( :ghost: ))
In a perfect universe, we'd be the only Interstellar Prison Corporation out there. Shit, in a perfect universe, humanity might not even need Interstellar Prison Corporations, but this universe? This universe has gone to hell. Mimir is our primary competitor, but there are more - HMRC, PACRO, Quantis, and a few others. Mimir is just the only one that ever gives us any trouble. The others stay well out of our way.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Foreigner wrote:
Oh shite.

All: there's a drone in the corridor between the stasis pods, and I'm short on ranged weaponry, unless you count jumping at it with my fists as ranged.

Get out my crowbar (it's such a bad taste - on Earth, only MIT graduates are allowed to run with a crowbar!), run down the hallway on the left - the one without a drone. Look for the drone between the pods. IF drone is seen, stop and hit it with a crowbar through the opening between the pods - or throw the crowbar at it if it's too far away. If it's nowhere to be seen, take cover and stay put.

Survivor of the Josh Parnell Blackout of 2015.

Turn 54
Time: Time: Time: 2.0 minutes until next pulsar sweep, 6.5 minutes until dark space ETA (1.5 minutes used)
Image Image
Squad 1: BFett, Dr. Cha0zz, Karthus

Dr. Cha0zz
Cha0zz wrote:SCAMPS, To add to what BFett already told you. We have a whole bunch of guys with punctured suits here, you might want to tell the idiots at the base that adding a suit repair kit to the standard equipment would vastly increase the mission performance.

Take a picture of one of the aliens in the stasis pods and send it to my ships' database and to SCAMPS. (while I'm at it, also visually inspect the stasis pod to deduct how it functions)

You might also want to have some xenobiologists have a look at this picture.

Walk over to one of the broken stasis pods and take a sample of the dust that used to be an alien (sample in a glass vial, close it and label it, then put it in my bagpack).
Also take an XRD scan from the dust, check my PDA for an IR scanner and if one is available, also take an IR scan from the dust.
Send the scanning data to my ships' database and to SCAMPS

Here is some additional info for the xenobiologists SCAMPS.

Walk over to the repair kit that was used to fix dino and use it to patch up my suit. (catch the duct tape instead and use it to repair my suit)

Then walk upstairs, go to the room with the cooling piping, use my blowtorch to cut a small hole in the pipe and catch some of the liquid that comes out of it in my glass jar (don't touch the liquid). ((only do this if I don't get a debuff for stacking actions at this point))

(At all times be on the lookout for the last drone, if I spot it I find cover, if it comes in range of my blowtorch, I torch it)
Cha0zz wrote:Catch the duct tape

...Thanks
You're momentarily distracted as Squidhead throws you a roll of duct tape - you catch it, and then say to SCAMPS, "SCAMPS, to add to what BFett already told you: we have a whole bunch of guys with punctured suits here; you might want to tell the idiots at the base that adding a suit repair kit to the standard equipment would vastly increase the mission performance."

"I'll keep that in mind, Dr. Cha0zz," is SCAMPS' quick response. "We usually use survival of the fittest - or in this case, most intelligent - usually helps weed out the idiots. Say, you don't happen to have a punctured suit, do you?"

You grumble and ignore him, going over and taking a picture of one of the aliens in a nearby stasis pod. After trying to figure out how the stasis pod works, but failing miserably, you eventually decide to simply upload the picture to your CASKET and SCAMPS. "You might also want to have some xenobiologists have a look at this picture," you recommend to him.

"Shit, these meatbags are ugly as fukc..." SCAMPS mutters. "Yeah, this would probably be best to leave to a xenobiologist. I can hardly tell the difference between them and you."

Ignoring this comment, you grumble further and walk over to one of the broken stasis pods at the front of the room, careful not to kneel in any of the broken glass as you retrieve a sample of the alien dust. There appear to be a few tiny, loose skin fragments here and there - you delicately scoop up as many of these as you can and put them in one of your vials. After using the Space Pen to label it, you put it in your backpack. Then, you try to do an XRD scan of the material - it comes back as simple, unassuming carbon-based dust - interwoven with anomalous material. That's definitely ... disappointing. No non-carbon-based life has ever been discovered, so it's not exactly strange that you've discovered more of the same. The anomalous material is interesting, though, so you try to take an IR scan from the dust too - which reveals exactly nothing. You send it all to your ship and to SCAMPS and finish up. "Here is some additional info for the xenobiologists, SCAMPS." you tell him.

Wincing a bit, you try to patch up your wound with the duct tape that Squidhead tossed to you. It's not too difficult to do - it's just duct tape. It'll hold 'til you get back to the Tartarus for sure.

Then, you walk up stairs, headed for the room with the coolant piping. It's sad, really - there's so much science still here, and you're not going to be able to stick around to study it. Part of you is tempted to ignore SCAMPS' warning and stick around, but that's not the scientific way. With science, you have to do things by the book - no wild guesses, assumptions, or ignoring anything anyone tells you. It's part of who you are, and the fact that it's so deeply rooted in your core is something you're proud of.

When you arrive at the room with the coolant piping, you set your backpack down and take out Francis' jar and the blowtorch. With the blowtorch, you cut a little hole into one of the pipes, through the insulation. A burst of vapor spurts out - it's clearly highly pressurized, and very, very cold - in fact, the water vapor in the air around it seems to crystallize and shimmer. You get the feeling that this is another anomalous material. The aliens seem fond of these - but then again, so is Tartarus Inc. In fact, it's exactly what they send you out here for. You catch some of the vapors in your jar and seal it off, putting a label on it.

isssss-hh
CSE wrote:Thinking: that was fun. Should try again one day. Well, today. Actually right now. That's motivating this call to action, this urge...

((After beeing taken by Squidhead))

...ok. Well. Next time.

Saying: that was sooooo coool!

Doing: holding tight and discreetly taste Squidhead's armous/skin/whatever. But no glutony - really just a polite nip.
"That was sooooooo cool!!!!" you burst out. But no, really! It was! That was a lot of fun. You're hoping to try it again soon - being adventurous isn't so bad after all! You can really see why Francis enjoyed being adventurous himself now. But there's so much drive in you! That beautiful, wonderful glowing metal - that must still be here somewhere, right? You need to get to it. And so you try -

- but Squidhead scoops you up, putting you on top of his head/body. Well, that's a bit of a disappointment. Next time, perhaps. "Hey there," he says. "Try not to eat more than you have to to secure yourself up there; I like my structural materials." You agree to his terms, and take a little taste - but no sooner do you than you realize that Squidhead seems somewhat interested in the sphere, too. His appendages are reaching forwards towards it - and then he seems to lose consciousness, his tentacles collapsing and falling to the floor - with you riding him down.

He's silent for a while, and in the intervening time, you decide to crawl down his sides towards the interesting smell coming out of his underside. It looks like there's a little hole here - you can see a lot of tasty materials inside of him. Maybe just a little taste -

- but then, again, he decides to wake up right when you were getting ready to climb inside and sneak a taste. There was so much there you're quite sure you'd never tasted before. You weren't going to hurt anything, honest! And still, he picks you up and puts you back on his head. Ah, well. Another time, right?

He spends a bit of time sawing through the metallic sphere's post with a rather inefficient cutting tool (you're quite sure you could do it faster - or if not, you would at least be able to make it taste better). After he manages to sever the sphere's holder completely, he picks everything up, and then takes you back upstairs to the airlock.

It looks like he's getting ready to take you home.

BFett
BFett wrote: Looks for a active electronic device to hack into and attempts to hack into it and shut off the drone and other defensive systems within the base. If none is found he walks over to the glowing sphere and places both hands on it.
You look around the room, trying to find a suitable device to hack into to shut off the drones. The console here - well, it looks like some sort of primary command system. The buttons flicker and warp strangely like many of the others within the complex, but these in particular skew and shear in unnerving ways, almost as though they're damaged. You instead turn your attention to the two pallets mounted on the walls at the front of the room - pallets that look very much like smaller versions of the one you discovered underneath the hangar.

Squidhead yells at you and tells you to go help Foreigner and Karthus kill the last drone. "Shut up and let me work," you tell him, pulling up Quartzilla on your PDA to start a few hacking subroutines. You're starting to take after Dr. Cha0zz a little now - you do see him as more and more of a mentor as time goes on.

As you uncover new wires, the pallet's alien tech shifts, forcing you to look for new routes to uncover its secrets - it's difficult, but you're in the zone, and progress is rapid. Before long, with the combined force of your technical knowledge, PDA software, and the raw processing power of your ship, the pallet's hidden networks lay splayed out before you, branching out like so many fibrous filaments - and you know them all. With a few quick taps, sliding your fingers about the PDA's surface, you organize them, rearranging them into more familiar, manageable structures. But there's one structure that stands out - a little knot in one corner, twisted and convoluted, turning in on itself. The complexity is beyond anything you've ever seen or heard of before - and it feels almost as if it's some sort of brain, or central processing center...

You smile knowingly. With a short tap and slide, you sever each and every one of its communications with the rest of the network - and hear an answering clatter from the final drone as it falls to the floor. A job well done.

Karthus
Jetison333 wrote:"ya, im on it. I would like to get my suit fixed, so we can get out of here"
walk around to the opposite side of the stasis pod and shoot at the drone from there. If its going to shoot at me, get into cover.
You walk calmly around to the far row of stasis pods, peeking down the aisle. Foreigner is running up towards you with a crowbar - so unprofessional - and you lean back up against the pods, preparing for an assault on the final drone. When you peek around the corner, you realize it's already watching for you - it fires, just as you do, and you dodge out of the way of its shot. The plasma round impacts harmlessly on the wall to your left. Seconds later, you hear a clattering sound on the ground - when you look, it doesn't seem like you even hit it. The drone... deactivated? Odd, but definitely welcome. That's one more problem solved.

Squad 3: Foreigner, Kai'isha

Foreigner
outlander4 wrote:
Foreigner wrote:
Oh shite.

All: there's a drone in the corridor between the stasis pods, and I'm short on ranged weaponry, unless you count jumping at it with my fists as ranged.

Get out my crowbar (it's such a bad taste - on Earth, only MIT graduates are allowed to run with a crowbar!), run down the hallway on the left - the one without a drone. Look for the drone between the pods. IF drone is seen, stop and hit it with a crowbar through the opening between the pods - or throw the crowbar at it if it's too far away. If it's nowhere to be seen, take cover and stay put.

You get out your crowbar, feeling unhappy about having to use it, and run down the left aisle, looking for the drone between the pods. It isn't long before you see it - you reach through, getting ready to hit it with your crowbar, just as Karthus' shot goes wide, missing it entirely. Then, before you can even manage to strike it, it deactivates, falling silently to the floor.

It looks like that's the last drone. Everyone should be safe now.

Squad 4: Dinosawer, Francis (with isssss'hh), Squidhead

Dinosawer
Dinosawer wrote:"Francis, wait!
You still have a bloody big hole in your suit, if you cycle the airlock now you'll asphyxiate."
"Kai'isha, I have duct tape in my bag, can you use that to fix Francis' suit?"
I'll hand over the duct tape and glue to Kai'isha.
While she's busy, I'll try if I can mentally "pull apart" the button panel like in my vision.
When she's finished patching, poke at it with Francis' crowbar - trying to poke at a specific panel that looks right (or a random one) if I managed the previous thingy.
You give the duct tape to Kai'isha, telling her to repair the hole in Francis' suit. As she gets to work taping it shut, you rest against the wall and turn your attention to the button panel, trying to pull it apart like you saw in your vision. Unfortunately, as you start to concentrate your attention on it, the button panel turns into a blur - you can't quite tell anything from it at all. The rest of the room doesn't seem as blurred - in fact, you see it in a multi-layered state - you see yourself hitting the console with your crowbar, and the lights darkening - you see the hangar door open. You see everyone walk out into the hangar, getting towards their ships, and resetting the door for Squidhead and the others.

Worried you've wasted too much time, you let your vision slip back into the normal, linear flow you're more used to. Kai'isha is putting the finishing touches on a rather shabby, improvised patch job on Francis' suit. She looks at you and gives a nod. "He's patched up," the woman informs you.

You nod, grabbing Francis' crowbar and tapping it on the console. The lights in the room stop flashing red and darken to a near-black as the door to the rest of the alien base closes. There's a rushing sound - you see the air shimmer as it is pumped out of the room, and all goes quiet but for the comms and the sounds of your own breathing. Then, the hangar-side door opens. You're ready to move.

Squidhead
Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Squidhead wrote: "Francis, Kai'isha, the corpse of goatman should still be in the airlock, why dont you use his hand to operate the controls?"

"Karthus, BFett, how about you helping foreigner killing that last drone behind me there? I have to disassemble alien tech here."

"Hey doctor! Catch!"
toss Cha0zz a roll of duct tape

takes up isssss-hh and puts him on the apex of his sphere body
"hey there, try to eat not more than you have to to secure yourself up there, i like my structural materials"

If there are some obvious screws along the pillar of the glowing orb ((where i could detach the pillar from the ground or split the pillar)) take a screwdriver or wrench to get them of, otherwise use the blowtorch to sever the pillar from the ground somewhere low-ish.
when the pillar including orb is separated take isssss-hh, the pillar, stuff the medkit into the repair kit box and take the repair kit and then take whatever stuff i can carry along with me and go to the airlock
"Hey, Doctor! Catch!" you say, tossing Dr. Cha0zz a roll of duct tape. He catches it, and you return to your own business, heading towards the alien device.

"Hey there, little guy," you say, picking up isssss'hh and putting him on the top of your body. "Try not to eat more than you have to to secure yourself up there; I like my structural materials."

You turn around, looking to see if there are any obvious screws on the pillar - but instead of seeing any of those, you instead find that two of your tentacles have wandered up towards the sphere's surface. You attempt to pull them back, but it's already too late - as little metallic bands like rivulets of water trickle down your tentacles, you find yourself slipping away.........

~~~

You see the room - this room, another, another and another - more than four, but less than infinite - many existences sandwiched into the same space. In most, the stasis pods are clouded and fogged, the inhabitants long past dead and gone. In some, the stasis pods are melted beyond recognition - but in a select few "rooms", you see beings moving. You switch your focus to some of these, hardly questioning the vision - it seems vaguely similar to what Dinosawer described to SCAMPS.

In these, you see beings - quite dissimilar to your own familiar humanoid shape - moving and rushing about. Physics seem to follow different laws in these rooms - the reflections look all wrong, or people are using the gravity of the stasis pods to move, or are even swimming around them - but there's still a common theme. You never were much of one for emotions, but if you had to guess, you would say that these beings look panicked - frightened. They rush about, pulling each other out of the stasis pods in a mad, terrified scramble to leave - lights blare red, sirens call and echo across the multiverse. You hear their voices - a multitude of them - speaking in a veritable blur of a language wholly unintelligible to your ears -

- and then. remembering your physical form, you look down at yourself, only to find that there's nothing there. In these universes, you don't exist. They can't see you. They can't hear you. You can't even move. You are nothing more than a spectator.

But what does that make this sphere? Some sort of mental "hub" or "gateway" to other universes? Is there perhaps more behind it than even that? And more importantly - what are these beings terrified of? They don't even look similar between universes - their bodies blur into each other, flickering and shifting like that of the console panels, and each "being" moves in unison with its alternate-universe selves.

As you try to retain your grasp of the vision, though, it gradually fades away, leaving you back in the same dark room you started from.

~~~

You're lying on the floor, and isssss-hh has situated himself on the side of your body. He seems to be curiously peering into your insides. Rather than risk him nibbling on anything, you hastily put him back onto the top of your head and get up, looking around. The blowtorch is lying there beside you in a pool of blood - you pick it up and get to work on severing the column. It's a very slow task. The metal is stronger than you'd expected, and the blowtorch is running out of steam - but you correct this last by grabbing another canister and exchanging it before getting back to work. Now that you've touched the sphere, it seems to have absolutely no pull on your mind anymore - you're able to carry on with your tasks without worrying about it at all.

Soon, the sphere flickers and dies with a strange, reverberating sound, leaving a metal skeleton with outstretched prongs. You keep at it, though. You want to be able to carry this baby home to SCAMPS.

After a bit longer, you finish; the upper part of the pedestal is neatly disconnected, and ends in a large bundle of dangling wires. You then close up the medkit and repair kit, grab everything, and start your way back towards the stairs. It's a little difficult getting up them, lugging the heavy repair kit behind you, but you somehow manage, step by step, with isssss-hh cheering you on cheerfully from above. Before much longer, you arrive at the airlock - only to find that it's closed. It appears that Dinosawer, Kai'isha and Francis already made their way outside.

You're running out of time.

Francis
DigitalDuck wrote:Look around for some scrap metal. Pick it up and use it on the panel.
DigitalDuck wrote:"Oh."

Don't do that thing with the scrap metal and the panel.
You look around for some scrap metal and pick up a piece - there's plenty scattered around in here from Foreigner's CASKET. You're just about to poke the panel with it when Dinosawer catches your arm, warning you that your suit is still punctured. With that, he hands Kai'isha a roll of tape, and she tells you to hold still as she gets to work on fixing your suit up. It's a messy job overall - the arm of your suit is tightly doubled over on itself - but it looks like it should at least hold for a little while.

When she finishes, she turns towards Dinosawer and says, "He's patched up." He gives a nod, and reaches out, poking the console with your crowbar (which it seems he took from you at some point). It snatches a large chunk out of the metal, and seems to gnaw on it for a while, but eventually it makes contact. The lights in the airlock dim, and the door behind you closes. Mere seconds afterwards, the air evacuates the room. Your stump feels a little cold - there's definitely a leakage of air somewhere - but it's holding for now, at least.

And then, the door to the hangar opens - you're free to get back to your ship, still parked right where you left it.

"I just cut the drone's connection with the central computer of this place. It's safe to pick up and take with us."

Jog over to my backpack, put it on and head to the airlock at a brisk pace. Pick up scrap metal by the airlock door and use it to activate the airlock if my side is closed. Otherwise, enter the airlock and use goatman's hand to activate it once Dr. Cha0zz has entered the airlock.

Online Now