Return to “REKT”

Re: REKT: Beyond The Edge (Main Thread)

On the subject of battle stims, there can also be:

- an LSD-inspired drug that gives you +2 to intuition and +1 to perception in ground combat, but also gives you synesthesia and leaves you vulnerable to PSI-based mind-screwing weaponry:

- the one that boosts your handiwork and auxilliary skills, but in return gives you a severe form of OCD :D ;

- a drug that increases your Willpower in ground combat at the cost of shutting down parts of the brain responsible for intuition and perception - basically, making you into a numb senseless killing machine;

There is also a way GK drug may work - it's by unlocking long-forgotten childhood memories - but it has to be RP-plausible (if you lived in a primitive tribe, no way you'll remember advanced PSI engineering, but you might remember where is the Gigantosaurus' weak spot), and it has to come with a (low-to-medium) risk of the possible unlocking of memories that are painful and unpleasant and completely useless instead, especially if the character tries to remember something that doesn't agree with his backstory at all.
Survivor of the Josh Parnell Blackout of 2015.

Okay, so, news: Having spent the last couple of days working on drugs, I'm happy to say I have a solid system in place. All that's left is designing them. I've run a few drugs past people so far, and everyone's given positive feedback. :thumbup:

Drugs balance four different things: Benefits, Duration, side effects, and cost. All of them are closely bound to each other. Strength drugs, for instance, are cheaper, but have a shorter duration. Side effects are based on drug "value per minute": the more a drug does over a longer time period (for cheaper), the more side effects the drug will have. A cheap drug with a lot of benefits that lasts a good while will have many side effects.

Side effects work in three ways:
  1. Normal side effects: things that happen while you're taking the drug. These are typically pretty light and easy to deal with. Side effects stack over different drugs and may grow more extreme.
  2. Overdose effects: When you take too many drugs in a short amount of time, you get a mixture of the overdose effects of all the drugs you've taken. Any drugs you take while overdosed increase or add to the symptoms. Overdose effects are particularly severe and can even include a chance of death, but can also include hallucinations, paranoia, and more. Nasty stuff. Overdosing is bad, m'kay.
  3. Withdrawal effects: Every time you take a drug, your chance of becoming addicted to one of them increases slightly. This chance-of-addiction is a hidden value that spans all the drugs you've taken in the past few hours. If you continue taking drugs, you can become addicted to the other ones you've taken (if taken recently). Withdrawal is simple: If you take another of the particular medicine, the withdrawal effects go away. Otherwise, after the mission is over, you'll find yourself with a variety of symptoms - based on the drug, these may range from headaches, to nausea, to insomnia, to stat decreases, to a lack of ability to concentrate, and many more. These effects will last until after the end of the next mission you go on. If you can wait out the symptoms an entire mission, you've overcome the addiction and get to live a normal life again.
The side effects will include both stat decreases and, more commonly, different ailments/effects that should be fun and interesting to roleplay. It should also be noted: everyone's body is different! Humanity has had a lot of time to disperse and multiply over the past thousand years. Physiology and drug symptoms are not a hard science, and it affects everyone differently. For most side effects/symptoms there is a range percentage for how likely it is to occur. For instance, you may find a drug where the withdrawal symptom of "headaches" occurs "35-65% of the time" - in a case like this, I would roll to see whether or not your character actually has that symptom.

Different drugs will have distinctive "visual effects" - for instance, I would be able to write something like, "The man's lips are drawn back over his teeth in a feral grimace, and he watches you, hunched low to the ground" - and you would be able to immediately know that those are the telltale signs of a drug called "ghoul" which means you ought to be careful of his strength and agility - putting some distance between you might be wise! Likewise, enemies will often be able to tell what kind of drug you've taken.

As to aliens, I imagine most drugs would have a very different effect on them. I'm not entirely sure what to do about that just yet, but I'll figure that out when I get to it. :D

FOR NOW: I need to get that next REKT post done! For anyone worrying about the gaps between posts: I feel like it's important to get as much done as possible before the mission ends, because whatever I don't finish now, I'll have to finish later. It's easier to wait during the mission, when things are happening, than after the mission when things are somewhat more... quiet, for lack of a better word. I have a LOT I need to take care of and finish up fixing/adding. A LOT. But I'm trying to get as much done as I can now instead of later. :)
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Okay, so, It won't be there tomorrow morning. 3 AM currently, I'm still awake trying to get it finished. I got pretty far into getting the maps done and then realized I was iterating on the wrong version of the maps, so I essentially have to start over. :? I'm done with Alpha's portion of the writing and mostly done with Beta's, but I was hoping for a short conversation with Cuisinart that never came, and so held off on Beta's portion, which may have been a poor decision. At any rate, I could potentially finish the turn tonight, but it would be done somewhere between 5-6 AM at the current rate of progress, and probably fairly low relative quality (doesn't help that I'm currently fairly irritated with myself for the map slip-up either). I think it would probably be wisest to pause work on it until tomorrow.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

I finally got it taken care of. It took a lot longer than expected. I think largely because of the detail and various things happening. Compressing posts doesn't seem to make it particularly easier to write, but hopefully it makes it easier to read.

I only ended up getting 3-4 hours of sleep last night, so there may be mistakes here and there. I tried to check through it before I posted but I may not have quite caught everything. Hopefully I did. Anyway, I hope you guys enjoy it. Mission is coming to a close probably by this time next month :D

I ended up taking yesterday off because my girlfriend lost her job. Well, "taking it off" - I still somehow managed to log six hours of LT/REKT-related work. :lol: I'm back on top of things today. It took me many hours of work (just writing the symptoms/side effect for each took about 45 minutes) but I finally have the drugs mostly finished! Check here for a look. I still need to finish up descriptions, but after that's done, it'll be good to go. :thumbup:

Next mission only, all drugs will be half off! Keep in mind: You must take more than one drug to have any chance at experiencing the overdose/withdrawal effects. That means the first drug you take is effectively 100% safe, beyond the normal side effects.

With that taken care of, I'm going to get to work on the next turn. :) The mission thread is officially soft-locked as of now.

Glad you liked it. :D

I woke up to some IRC pings last night and muted sound so I could sleep, intending to answer the questions today - which I still intend to, in this very post. :D Unfortunately it seems as though I may not be able to be at my computer for much of the day (family reunion) so I'm going to hurry and get this posted here. Most of this is stuff your characters could figure out on their own. Hopefully I didn't miss anything. :D
  • I've started to roughly equate one turn to 2 minutes. It was fairly close to the "average" of the other missions. It's easier to do it that way than try to worry about anything else. Trying to tie it to word count (what I did in GTD) was silly and complicated to begin with. This is OOC knowledge and I'd better not catch your characters referring to turn length, but it may be able to help you with in-character wording I suppose.
  • Landing ships on top of the nacelle as "loot" isn't going to work, and stashing stuff inside may not either unless it's fairly durable. Let's walk through this logically.
    1. Nemesis arrives, horizontally, and hovers near the nacelle.
    2. Nemesis puts a low-grav field near to the nacelle using the jury-rigged stellaplex device.
    3. Nemesis uses the hooks they've place on the nacelle to "sew" the ship together, like stitches on an open wound. Then they use other stuff they've set up to clamp it down once it's in place.
    4. Nemesis needs to leave the atmosphere, so it tilts vertically and flies upwards. Nacelle is lighter but not in a zero-G field. Everything inside shifts. Everything on top falls off.
  • Someone from Anabais's squad will be able to fly far enough in a single turn (remember the 12km limit?) to say hello to Beta. This CASKET will be able to act as a relay so that Alpha and Beta can talk to each other. Exciting times! The future is now, old man! etc. (Anabais hasn't confirmed this yet, but she's about to, before I leave today.)

That's all the questions I noticed that didn't answer themselves. There may have been more; I only skimmed. I'll answer questions here too of course. :)

:lol: Ah well, I'm sure you'll come up with something cleverer. :)

I took the weekend off for once (only put in an average of two hours per day!) and did nothing but play Witcher 3 (and a family reunion). I feel MUCH better now. :D Currently working on finalizing the extended map for the rest of the campaign. It's gonna be great. :thumbup: Much excited!

Online Now