Return to “Scripting & Modding”

Re: Limit Theory: Mass Predictions Brainstorming

Cornflakes_91 wrote:I've heard of some weird hypotheses that the universe is shaped by the thoughts of individuals.
So the more people think that something is the way they think it is, the more the universe conforms to those thoughts :ghost:
That's why I tried to convince Dino. :mrgreen:
Automation engineer, lateral thinker, soldier, addicted to music, books and gaming.
Nothing to see here
Flatfingers wrote: 23.01.2017: "Show me the smoldering corpse of Perfectionist Josh"

0111narwhalz wrote:I think it's kind of poetic. The best netcode does the most with the least data. To do this perfectly, you have to have some kind of predictive power. And with lots of people (as there hopefully will be), you have to make great use of predictive power.
Ergo, mass predictions.
Pretty much, plus with a weird name more people will talk about it!
JanB1 wrote: But why "Mod"? Did Josh not plan any multiplayer? :eh:
Josh already had enough on his plate and isn't going to touch MP. He did mention adding in networking capabilities to LTCore or LTLua, but nothing more.
Dinosawer wrote:But I don't actually want multiplayer :ghost:
I mainly play games with wife, so not having MP will make me choose between LT and wife...
Plus, netcode has been a topic I've wanted to delve into, and what time is better than the present.
An idea that is not dangerous is unworthy of being called an idea at all. - Oscar Wilde

We often refuse to accept an idea merely because the tone of voice in which it has been expressed is unsympathetic to us. - Friedrich Nietzsche

N810 wrote:If I recall correctly, Multiplayer was a stretch goal that didn't quite get funded. :problem:

Ps. I wonder if local multiplayer would be easier to mod... (second PC on local network)
No, it wouldn't actually.
Don't worry about Multiplayer, all the tools that I need for that are promised by Josh, and if I can get it started and working as a proof of concept, I am fairly sure Josh will steal it and start making it official.
Josh seems like the sort to do that. :V
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

Silverware wrote:
N810 wrote:If I recall correctly, Multiplayer was a stretch goal that didn't quite get funded. :problem:

Ps. I wonder if local multiplayer would be easier to mod... (second PC on local network)
Don't worry about Multiplayer, all the tools that I need for that are promised by Josh, and if I can get it started and working as a proof of concept, I am fairly sure Josh will steal it and start making it official.
Does this mean you'll be helping get a multiplayer mod up?
An idea that is not dangerous is unworthy of being called an idea at all. - Oscar Wilde

We often refuse to accept an idea merely because the tone of voice in which it has been expressed is unsympathetic to us. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Kekasi wrote:
Silverware wrote:

Does this mean you'll be helping get a multiplayer mod up?
You obviously are new here. :D
Yes, the LTMPM (MultiPlayerMod) is going to be my baby. :D
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020

Silverware wrote: You obviously are new here. :D
Nice, anywhere I can help out? Or really learn about Lag Compensation or netcode?

Kekasi wrote:
Silverware wrote: You obviously are new here. :D
Nice, anywhere I can help out? Or really learn about Lag Compensation or netcode?
Not currently, once LT is released, we will be able to start looking into it.
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°

Cornflakes_91 wrote:I've heard of some weird hypotheses that the universe is shaped by the thoughts of individuals.
So the more people think that something is the way they think it is, the more the universe conforms to those thoughts :ghost:
Did this suddenly become a panto?

"And it isn't going to have multiplayer built in, children!"

"[chorus] Oh, yes it is!"

"Oh, no, it isn't!"

[repeat]
Dinosawer wrote:But I don't actually want multiplayer :ghost:
I don't want others prevented from having it. But it doesn't do anything for me, either.

Seems I'm a little late to the party.
JanB1 wrote:
Dinosawer wrote:er, no? He never planned multiplayer :P
You sure? I'm pretty sure he planned multiplayer. ;)
Josh most certainly never planned multiplayer. Multiplayer is not planned for LT 1.0 or post release. Josh is being careful not to prevent it from being possible, however... but it will take a lot of work.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Talvieno wrote: Josh most certainly never planned multiplayer. Multiplayer is not planned for LT 1.0 or post release. Josh is being careful not to prevent it from being possible, however... but it will take a lot of work.
Without a doubt. That's why we have modding teams!
Would you like to join the team Talv? :ghost:

Edit: Just noticed.
Dinosawer wrote:Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
What's your opinion of multiplayer physics dino? And how to make sure desynced physics doesn't negatively affect players?

Talvieno wrote:Seems I'm a little late to the party.
Kinda...

Talvieno wrote:
JanB1 wrote:
Dinosawer wrote:er, no? He never planned multiplayer :P
You sure? I'm pretty sure he planned multiplayer. ;)
Josh most certainly never planned multiplayer. Multiplayer is not planned for LT 1.0 or post release. Josh is being careful not to prevent it from being possible, however... but it will take a lot of work.
I knooow. Would you please read a little further? :D

Dinosawer wrote: Sockets so I can make an in game irc client on the other hand... :ghost:
Hmm...sounds interesting. It's like a lifeline to the real world. So people can remind you that you should stop your 48h session of playing LT. :P
Automation engineer, lateral thinker, soldier, addicted to music, books and gaming.
Nothing to see here
Flatfingers wrote: 23.01.2017: "Show me the smoldering corpse of Perfectionist Josh"

Online Now