Return to “Scripting & Modding”

Re: Chat integration

Mistycica wrote:I think we touched this tangentially a few times already, the idea reminds me of Uplink where you could buy an in-game upgrade to let you access an actual IRC client. I'd love to have the option to join in on the quasi-social-but-not experience!
I remember that! That was actually really cool.

Uplink was a bit ahead of its time too. It allowed for multi-monitor (albeit a really crappy model of using two computers connected via network cable) when multi-monitor wasn't even a thing.
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

DWMagus wrote:As for using an IRC backend, that is used in other instances too. For example, Twitch's chat is an IRC back-end.
fyi
"The Twitch chat system is not an IRC server. It is a more complex multi-tiered system that also happens to provide a compatible interface that most IRC clients will understand."

That said it would be really cool to have access to in-game communications outside of opening up the full game. As discussed however; wouldn't be very useful as LT 1.0 is planned to be single player only.
Non-backer from the pizza dimension

In case anyone is interested, there is already an example of in-game IRC mod in a game. In this case, Minecraft. If you never cared about the game, you shoulkd notice that the modding in Minecraft is easily the most advanced I've ever seem in a game, and that includes the folks who gave actual graphics to Dwarf Fortress. It blows your mind the complexity some mods bring to the table (to scale, one creates in-game computers and robots, which can be fully coded in Lua (not just a bunch of commands. The actual language), and that's one of the most straightforward ones). Case in point: it has a mod called EiraIRC, which adds a fairly well-featured IRC client to the game. It has plenty of interesting toys, like multiple rooms in one single stream and direct screenshots.

If anyone is interested in trying this out in LT, I suggest checking EiraIRC for inspiration.

Berstarke wrote:In case anyone is interested, there is already an example of in-game IRC mod in a game. In this case, Minecraft. If you never cared about the game, you shoulkd notice that the modding in Minecraft is easily the most advanced I've ever seem in a game, and that includes the folks who gave actual graphics to Dwarf Fortress. It blows your mind the complexity some mods bring to the table (to scale, one creates in-game computers and robots, which can be fully coded in Lua (not just a bunch of commands. The actual language), and that's one of the most straightforward ones). Case in point: it has a mod called EiraIRC, which adds a fairly well-featured IRC client to the game. It has plenty of interesting toys, like multiple rooms in one single stream and direct screenshots.

If anyone is interested in trying this out in LT, I suggest checking EiraIRC for inspiration.
Don't confuse modability with having an unintentional but terribly exposed codebase. Minecraft was never "intended" to be modable. It just happened to be and they ran with it.

Online Now