Return to “Scripting & Modding”

Local coop

So recently I showed my sister the No Man's Sky trailer, upon which she was dissapointed to hear that it will have no local coop (we play quite some local coop together, it's lots of fun).
"But that would be fun, each in their own ship, why don't they put that in?" she said, and I had to agree.
So, I was wondering if there would be a way to mod local coop into LT :)
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING
Re: Local coop

hm.. some kind of minigames should at least be possible.

split screen? im not sure if the engine can do that at the moment.
but josh mentioned ages ago (before the node UI) that he can make windows to show arbitary scenes in the universe.
in fact the main screen was just one of those windows.
if thats still in it should be possible to build some local MP.

and for running multiple instances of the game on the same computer:
it doesnt have much different requirements than general LAN/network play (afaik)

it can skimp on network detection and client discovery as it just has to poll ::1 or 127.0.0.1 and not search a network.

it can also drop much of network stability stuff, like dropped packets and ping issues.
which is much in terms of networking

but else it should have the same requirements.

Logistics aside, I'm not sure that LT would be well suited for local co-op. Yeah, he's playing it with a gamepad, but it just feels as though there would be too much to 'do' to be able to handle local co-op. If it was keyboard and mouse, I'd mention too many commands to be able to split between two people. :think:
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

Grumblesaur wrote:Any game that is part-RTS or part-Management Sim would do poorly as a splitscreen game, in my opinion.
Agreed. Anything that depends on asymmetric knowledge would be pretty hard to do well when both players can see the screen.

There's "hot seat" (turn-based) play, but that's generally not as much multiplayer fun as simultaneous play.

As long as Josh continues to do a good job of the SP, offline LT game in this version and all the follow ups I will be more than happy to splash the cash in his direction. If he wants to go to a full blown MMO (please no, Josh) I will continue to buy his products as long as I get my SP, offline game. :angel:

:roll: Of course this applies to MorrowJosh as well. ;) :D

Dinosawer wrote:I agree Victor, but there couldn't be a larger difference than online multiplayer and local coop :)
:lol: I was just pushing it to the extreme, Dinosawer. ;) I would be more than happy to see you get your local coop gameplay. We have to trust Josh to do what he feels is right for the game, everything else is in the lap of the modding community. :)

I've already been disappointed by one of the titans of that rare breed of true space sim developers I'm kinda hoping that Josh will be his replacement in the not too distant future. The king of procedurally generated games so to speak. :D :D

Victor Tombs wrote:
Dinosawer wrote:I agree Victor, but there couldn't be a larger difference than online multiplayer and local coop :)
I've already been disappointed by one of the titans of that rare breed of true space sim developers I'm kinda hoping that Josh will be his replacement in the not too distant future. The king of procedurally generated games so to speak. :D :D
That's a tall order, but if anyone is up to it, it would be our coding maestro. :angel:

I also personally like the idea of local cooperative play, as I often play games with my brothers in this manner. It's a lot of fun - a lot more fun than playing with random people online.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

When I think local co-op, I mostly end up thinking couch co-op since it would need to be able to handle (usually) two controller inputs.

Speaking of the RTS side, I don't know if a controller would be suited to it at all. Anyone remember StarCraft or Command and Conquer on N64? :|

Edit: I'll admit I'm a bit biased because of that last point.
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

Online Now