Return to “Scripting & Modding”

Re: The Extent of Moddability in Limit Theory

Gazz wrote:Necromancy is discouraged when it resurrects an old topic that refers to a game state / version / feature that no longer applies / has changed.
Yeah but that rarely happens. Its not a biggie anyway, just sayin...
For suggestions it simply doesn't apply... unless your idea has a best-before date. =)
Best before Final release because if its done at all some basic thinking about it should be applied before that. As i said, food for thought.

btw, any very general, completely noncommittal hearsay of expectations of when that might be? This year?

I don't know if this helps or not, but there's a minor distinction that might be made regarding characters and ships.

It's correct (as far as we know) that there are no visible, walking avatars of people in Limit Theory. In this sense, you are your ship.

But characters do exist, even if they're never rendered visibly. Individual NPCs exist, each of them with their own personalities with the following personality model that Josh showed in Development Video Update #20:

Aggressive
Creative
Explorative
Greedy
Intellectual
Lawless
Sociable

(I would tweak some of these, personally, but they're what Josh showed.)

Josh has also mentioned implementing a light version of crew on larger ships. So it's not just one ship == one person; there's apparently a simple form of crew management in the default game. (Or at least that was mentioned; we won't know for sure until Josh releases a version of LT.)

I don't know if that's enough distinctiveness for people to meet your needs. But LT is more than just robot spaceships, even if that's how it might appear from the videos. There really are characters in the world.

Dinosawer wrote::think:
:eh:
Is this some kind of pun beyond my non-native speaker comprehension?
:think: Nope, no pun's here... inside joke, quite possibly.
Flatfingers wrote:But characters do exist, even if they're never rendered visibly
Except for that they will have their unique pareidolic style icon.
Challenging your assumptions is good for your health, good for your business, and good for your future. Stay skeptical but never undervalue the importance of a new and unfamiliar perspective.
Imagination Fertilizer
Beauty may not save the world, but it's the only thing that can

Hyperion wrote:
Flatfingers wrote:But characters do exist, even if they're never rendered visibly
Except for that they will have their unique pareidolic style icon.
Which is still just a representation, and not a rendering of an actual person with all the rigging and animation silliness.

But otherwise, yes. ;)

[Must... fix... formatting....]
Last edited by Flatfingers on Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Ok, Thanx. Im in no rush myself and i usually prefer if devs take the time to do it right because its just pointless to release game early since then you still have to wait for all the patches and big fixes and additions for months, while playing in frustrating starts and stops.

Flatfingers:
Josh has also mentioned implementing a light version of crew on larger ships. So it's not just one ship == one person; there's apparently a simple form of crew management in the default game. (Or at least that was mentioned; we won't know for sure until Josh releases a version of LT.)

I don't know if that's enough distinctiveness for people to meet your needs. But LT is more than just robot spaceships, even if that's how it might appear from the videos. There really are characters in the world.
I get that yeah. Didnt know about crew templates but thats all about as i expected. Nah, it doesnt help for my crazy idea. I literally need both full human characters and ships full of stats, almost like characters onto themselves. Tnx anyway.

Online Now