Return to “Scripting & Modding”

Official and Unofficial Mod Conflicts

A thought occurred to me about what's going to happen after Limit Theory is released.

If LT mod development follows the process in other games, it's likely that a small number of mods will wind up being downloaded by the majority of people who install any mods at all. This is even more likely if there winds up being one place on the web where pretty much everyone goes to upload and download LT mods. These very popular mods will quickly become something like de facto standards.

At the same time, we know that Josh has said he plans to provide some post-release support for Limit Theory. Presumably that means adding some number of significant enhancements to the engine, to gameplay mechanics, to content generators, or all of the above.

Which leads me to wonder: what should happen when Josh's changes break a very popular mod?

I think it's probably safe to say "when" that happens, not "if." Even if Josh makes an effort to build LT so that functions are pretty much black-box affairs, it wouldn't be surprising if new official functionality changes some published interfaces. It happens.

How should this kind of conflict be handled?

Or to put it another way, what ideas can we suggest for how to organize the modding interface to LT so that mods are able to more easily adapt to Josh's post-launch enhancements?
Re: Official and Unofficial Mod Conflicts

Flatfingers wrote:How should this kind of conflict be handled?

Or to put it another way, what ideas can we suggest for how to organize the modding interface to LT so that mods are able to more easily adapt to Josh's post-launch enhancements?
There is no realistic way of guaranteeing compatibility or doing any sort of auto conflict resolving.

What would be very helpful (and relatively low cost) is an addendum to every official patch, listing the files that have changed.

Expecting a time-stamped documentation of every change in the files is too much to ask, IMO. That's a lot of effort distracting from the actual work.
There is no "I" in Tea. That would be gross.

Online Now