Return to “Scripting & Modding”

Re: Mod Intercompatibility?

Victor Tombs wrote:
Alimarin wrote:I made this mega-mod pack that I never released for a game called Gratuitous Space Battles, and it kicked ass until I lost the files into the depths of hard drive failure. :C

I even expanded a ton on all of the mods, adding new ship classes to all the custom races like destroyers, dreadnoughts, corvettes, when there were originally only fighters, frigates, and cruisers in the game.

Edit: I even made a plethora of ship equipment and weapons and balanced them for each class and type.
:( It certainly sounds like a mod I would have enjoyed playing, Alimarin. :)

If you do get the chance to make something as impressive for Limit Theory I hope you will share it with the Community. :thumbup:

Just try to be less careless with your file management. Backups and all that. :P

That's just the mod I was most proud of in terms of completeness and quality. :mrgreen: I should have released it but I got skittish on how some fellow modders would have treated my pack using their content.

I've made my own mod pack for Rimworld Alpha 5, which was my most recent modding endeavor, but the game is surprisingly good at the compatibility of mods, so I'm not even sure it was 100% necessary to make but it was still good fun. And easy as balls. :D

Other games I've made mods/packs for, off the top of my head:

-Homeworld 2
-Fallout 3 (Wasn't quite a pack but I did some nasty FO3Edit hacks to make things work together nicely, took at least 50 manhours.)
-Fallout New Vegas (nothing special, just downloaded a bunch of mods.)
-Skyrim (If I can ever get motivated enough to play it again, I'm gonna finish my massive 15+ GB compilation, and maybe even do the same thing I did with Fallout 3 and try and merge it all in a big, hacky, and strangely elegant mess.)
-Killing Floor (Tons of UnrealScript pretty much jammed concepts of the various iterative C languages into my brain. Lets just say my server ended up having plenty of new monsters, and level 50 perks. And my pesky hatred of a lot of the crappy DLC locked content was sort of removed, and then modded back in, then I removed it again myself ;D, and my own custom classes/perks, tons of other modder's content and a little bit of my own.)
Also getting all that stuff to work together on my server was one of the longest dreary periods of hellish code-ripping ever. [Total tally of all the content added: I had at least 30 different monsters, modded the crap out of the vanilla perks, and 2 more of my own, not that many more maps, maybe 25-30. I also had an additional 100+ weapons, 50+ character skins, UI additions like kill counters, an enhanced scoreboard, Roll The Dice, Slot Machines, 16 player limit, and it was all just a heavenly amount of chaos.])

That's just all I can think of right now, but my modding history even extends back to my youthful days of being 10 years old (10 years ago) and messing with old XML and INI files.

Gazz wrote:We don't know the file structure, how "a mod" is tied to ships and regions, or if "replacing default files" is even a thing.

Making plans for what needs to be exposed and how compatibility can be maintained is a bit premature. =P

I was just suggesting some preemptive thought about the modding mechanics. :P

THERE
ARE
FOUR
LIGHTS

In Josh we trust
Re: Mod Intercompatibility?

Victor Tombs wrote:
Alimarin wrote:Skyrim (If I can ever get motivated enough to play it again, I'm gonna finish my massive 15+ GB compilation, and maybe even do the same thing I did with Fallout 3 and try and merge it all in a big, hacky, and strangely elegant mess.)
I would enjoy seeing that, Alimarin. :thumbup: :D

We'll see. :ghost:

THERE
ARE
FOUR
LIGHTS

In Josh we trust

Online Now