Return to “Scripting & Modding”

Future LTSL Request: Carrier Logistics Manager

I know this is WAY too early to request this. However, I figured this topic could generate some discussion of interacting with vessels that carry others and keeping them supplied. (Especially towards the endgame where it is quite possible the player may own multiple ships that need logistics.)

I wanted to make this a request for the game itself. However, This in my opinion is going to be a bigger project that may be better for the community to tackle rather than precious LT development days spent on a feature that too be frank. Not a high percentage of users will end up using.

When I first saw that you could fly a carrier in the X games. I decided that working my way up to one was going to be my main goal in the game. And eventually like many other players. I did. Only to discover that what I purchased was a logistics nightmare. Spending an hour+ to prepare it (Not an issue with money at that point) Only to spend hour+ later when of course half your fighter force gets wiped out because they charge head first into fire without every real evasion (LOL X AI ) Made many players say "Frak it!" and just go for OP missile spam.

Carriers are obviously going to be the vessel that packs the hardest and most flexible punch in LT due to what they can carry. However, if little changes. Players will have to decide if they want to fight on the front lines or behind a desk manually organizing everything. I would rather have my cake and eat it as well so I request an NPC that can do that desk work for me.

The best way to handle this in my opinion is a fleet logistics officer. A VERY expensive (Both to hire and to pay over time to balance what he can do) NPC that you can hire and put in charge of keeping your carrier fleet supplied both at home and on the front lines.

Obviously to do this. This NPC would need to be able to do many things on his/her own. And be smart enough to decide how to get the items/craft/ammo/modules/etc that the fleet needs. Automatically move said items. And equip them at the destination. One aspect of this is the ability to use "Jeep carriers" that meet up with the fleet at prearranged coordinates when the player or AI decides to replenish losses.

Yes, This is asking a lot I agree. However, In my opinion without something like this. Carriers are again going to be little more than the same use once and see you next year type of ship because few want to spend the time to keep them supplied.
Re: Future LTSL Request: Carrier Logistics Manager

AbhChallenger wrote:When I first saw that you could fly a carrier in the X games. I decided that working my way up to one was going to be my main goal in the game. And eventually like many other players. I did. Only to discover that what I purchased was a logistics nightmare.
The best way to handle this in my opinion is a fleet logistics officer. A VERY expensive (Both to hire and to pay over time to balance what he can do) NPC that you can hire and put in charge of keeping your carrier fleet supplied both at home and on the front lines. ... This NPC would need to be able to do many things on his/her own. And be smart enough to decide how to get the items/craft/ammo/modules/etc that the fleet needs. Automatically move said items. And equip them at the destination.
I agree. I hope something like this is possible in LT.

In fact, I'm hoping that there's enough depth in LT that there will be several areas of play -- not just fleet combat -- that will benefit from NPCs who are capable of accepting high-level goals from the player (or other appropriate NPC) and converting those goals into plans for other NPCs to carry out.

What I don't know yet is the degree to which NPCs in LT 1.0 will be able to do this kind of breakdown of goals into tasks. I think something like it is supposed to be there... but I have no idea how effective it may be, or how much post-launch tweaking by motivated LTSL modders might be needed to make these kinds of command-level NPCs really useful.

Once we know more about how NPCs will work, threads like this one could be a lot of fun. (No reason not to think ahead now, though.)

@ AbhChallenger

I agree in principle but "making it very expensive" is just a fig leaf because like you said: money no longer matters at this point.

It either has to be a natural extension of the game, solving logistics nightmares with a smart trading AI (or one that you can configure for this specific task), or come with downsides that are actually noticeable.
The latter could be a limited number of officer slots. Gamey, of course, but this is a game. =)
There is no "I" in Tea. That would be gross.

As far as I understand it, the task centred interface will make logistics peanuts.

There are two ways to go about this.
More micro management: You create a separate contract for each type of material you want to stock in the carrier, how many personnel it needs, and which type of vessels. You decide on the price of each of these materials. If you wanted, you could make sure only equipment you build yourself gets delivered.
Screw micro management: You give the captain a job to do and a budget. He'll operate within this budget and will organise the carrier according to his objective. (Making use of the same AI that NPC carriers would use.)
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

I started writing a response to this in the morning but then i had to .. work ..

Well, we don't know about the mechanics in the game and how carrier are going to be handled. So it is early to discuss this request, but not TOO early.

In my opinion there is no need for an ENPC, if the ship can organize itself. Or to be clearer: There is a possibility that the ships organize itself.
My suggestion:
Add controls to the Capital ship, in which automated processes can be controlled, e.g.
[] Acquire ammunition if cargo is under [ .. 50 % ]
Acquire goods from [] market, [] own production / storage
with enough of these settings it should not be a problem to manage these.
If the cargo drops below these values, a quest (or another name for that) will be generated, which orders them (against cash).
And as far as i saw it in the other dev-videos, the market can regulate itself. So if it takes too long to get new goods/fighter => raise the reward :)
:D

N-Joy wrote:I started writing a response to this in the morning but then i had to .. work ..

Well, we don't know about the mechanics in the game and how carrier are going to be handled. So it is early to discuss this request, but not TOO early.

In my opinion there is no need for an ENPC, if the ship can organize itself. Or to be clearer: There is a possibility that the ships organize itself.
My suggestion:
Add controls to the Capital ship, in which automated processes can be controlled, e.g.
[] Acquire ammunition if cargo is under [ .. 50 % ]
Acquire goods from [] market, [] own production / storage
with enough of these settings it should not be a problem to manage these.
If the cargo drops below these values, a quest (or another name for that) will be generated, which orders them (against cash).
And as far as i saw it in the other dev-videos, the market can regulate itself. So if it takes too long to get new goods/fighter => raise the reward :)
Me likey

:thumbup:
YAY PYTHON \o/

In Josh We Trust
-=326.3827=-

It's not that i don't like the idea oft Pipelines CF and i know it will be implemented eventually. But i wish to see many different possibilities before starting a game. Depending in mood i'd like to switch between different ideas, different styles of the game.
And i hope this will be possible. In one run, just basics in another game all mods including Pipelines etc etc :D

Full automated processes isn't everyones favourite everyday
:D

Cornflakes, we get it. After you posted your link to your thread, you don't need to keep bringing it up. If people want to get more information, they can follow your link.

@N-Joy: Are you familiar with Final Fantasy 12's Gambit System? If so, then this would fit right in. I think Josh liked the idea when it was brought up a bit back.
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

Online Now