Return to “Scripting & Modding”

Malicious LTScript

Usual apologies in advance if this has already been covered.

Given the power of LTSL how can Josh ensure that it is a force used for Good not Evil. For example if someone were able to script the following it could make them far too powerful for their own good.

Planet destroyer - a script that lets you target a planet and vapourise it
Ship shrinker - a script that lets you target a ship and turn it into the size of a pea
Warp lane meddler - a script that sends you into reverse when you hit the end of a warp lane
Blair Witch effect - a script that jumbles your map and makes you fly in circles hopelessly lost
Bio warfare script - a script that lets you wipe out colonies with terrible disease

etc...etc...
Re: Malicious LTScript

These would be fun. they would be more fun if the AI knew you had these powers and gave you special missions for them
Challenging your assumptions is good for your health, good for your business, and good for your future. Stay skeptical but never undervalue the importance of a new and unfamiliar perspective.
Imagination Fertilizer
Beauty may not save the world, but it's the only thing that can

Hyperion wrote:These would be fun. they would be more fun if the AI knew you had these powers and gave you special missions for them
You want the A.I to go meta and get you to mod the game for them? :eh:

I like it. :thumbup:
Image The results of logic, of natural progression? Boring! An expected result? Dull! An obvious next step? Pfui! Where is the fun in that? A dream may soothe, but our nightmares make us run!

Katorone wrote:You could write a script that tries noops on every object on every tick, to bring the game to halt or overheat your computer... But to what effect?
...And even then, after this happened to the first person, they would probably notify everyone else and it wouldn't exactly happen again.
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

Talvieno wrote:I think you would be hard-pressed to write a script that could actually be considered "malicious"... unless, of course, Josh implements sockets. And even then.
Katorone wrote:You could write a script that tries noops on every object on every tick, to bring the game to halt or overheat your computer... But to what effect?
DWMagus wrote:...And even then, after this happened to the first person, they would probably notify everyone else and it wouldn't exactly happen again.
Katorone wrote:Exactly! Anything like this is easily countered by a mod manager that creates a backup save when new mods are added.
I, too jumped to conclusions upon reading the title...but re-read the OP and you'll that it's actually not about that kind of maliciousness.

EvilLT.

Love it :lol: :twisted:
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

All I can say is LOL. LTvirus kgo! LTtrojan anybody? You're flying your ship... with your new script of awesomeness but wait your ship starts doing crazy zigzags as if someone shoved their hand up your ships' backside and started playing like a 4 year old would with a toy! Your ship just got hacked bro! But FROM THE WORLD OF THE INTERWEBZ! Is this not the stuff of awesome? Really? I mean come on... Josh you need to implement sockets. So this is a possible reality. Forget multiplayer. I wanna be able to puppet master other peoples ships with malicious code!

Though that being said, one thing I would be curious on. Is how well LT would run in a virtualized environment. I actually virtualize my primary workstation as well as several older gaming platforms. So the simple truth is even if LTSL had significant function exposure and could be exploited in a way that could bring great harm to your computer, you could easily isolate it within a VM when trying scripts. Proactive defensive and all that. I have a number of malware testbeds that I run things in for this reason.

TGS wrote:All I can say is LOL. LTvirus kgo! LTtrojan anybody? You're flying your ship... with your new script of awesomeness but wait your ship starts doing crazy zigzags as if someone shoved their hand up your ships' backside and started playing like a 4 year old would with a toy! Your ship just got hacked bro! But FROM THE WORLD OF THE INTERWEBZ! Is this not the stuff of awesome? Really? I mean come on... Josh you need to implement sockets. So this is a possible reality. Forget multiplayer. I wanna be able to puppet master other peoples ships with malicious code!
Speaking only for myself, I would not play that game regardless of any other features it might have. I don't care for any flavor of other people dialing into my game world and doing things there to it or me, whether that's Fable II/III, Dark Souls, or Watch Dogs. And that's even more so when the interference is actually meant to be malicious and done secretively. No sale.

I'm not opposed at all to making games that focus on that kind of screwage as their core feature. I wouldn't play it myself, but I have no reason to object to making games about that so that other people can enjoy it.

I would disagree, though, with adding a feature like that to a game that's been billed as a single-player game. I believe single-player should mean single-player.

Again, just a personal view, there.

This never even crossed my mind, just went without saying, but yea, I'd love ABC warfare just for shits and giggles!
I mean, I come from DF and SoaSE (where you have to nuke colonies to ashes in order to just capture them >.>)

The one thing I love in single player is that you don't have to muck about with balance and fairness quite as much as it is with multi and massively multi. I love playing MOBA-likes, but sometimes I need a break from the rapidly evolving scene of buffs and nerfs and fun<balance mentality :lol:
panic

Flatfingers wrote:
TGS wrote:All I can say is LOL. LTvirus kgo! LTtrojan anybody? You're flying your ship... with your new script of awesomeness but wait your ship starts doing crazy zigzags as if someone shoved their hand up your ships' backside and started playing like a 4 year old would with a toy! Your ship just got hacked bro! But FROM THE WORLD OF THE INTERWEBZ! Is this not the stuff of awesome? Really? I mean come on... Josh you need to implement sockets. So this is a possible reality. Forget multiplayer. I wanna be able to puppet master other peoples ships with malicious code!
Speaking only for myself, I would not play that game regardless of any other features it might have. I don't care for any flavor of other people dialing into my game world and doing things there to it or me, whether that's Fable II/III, Dark Souls, or Watch Dogs. And that's even more so when the interference is actually meant to be malicious and done secretively. No sale.

I'm not opposed at all to making games that focus on that kind of screwage as their core feature. I wouldn't play it myself, but I have no reason to object to making games about that so that other people can enjoy it.

I would disagree, though, with adding a feature like that to a game that's been billed as a single-player game. I believe single-player should mean single-player.

Again, just a personal view, there.
Nothing against your personal view, but I have to say this is extremely selfish and single-minded. These are functions on top of the game. Furthermore they are features that you do not have to partake in. Much like many features I'm sure won't be to every persons tastes. I actually agree with you to some degree. I do not like games that have pathetic tack-on gimmicky multiplayer features that really come down to an excuse to add a social layer. Which is what most of those are. What I was talking about was a joke by the way. I would have thought that somewhat obvious, clearly not.

I also have a strong dislike for the view that a game billed as a single player game should be exclusive to single player with no possibility of extension beyond that. As far as I know LTSL wasn't planned either. But it made its way in and as far as I can tell most are more than happy with its introduction. I'm not saying multiplayer should be added. At this point it would probably not work nearly as well as any of us would like. However the scripting language could easily be powerful enough to build multiplayer into the game by someone other than Josh who feels that it is worth the investment. That being said, to build multiplayer into LT in the form that I would personally like would require basically building a separate server. Or if Josh still intends to include a (semi-)headless feature of the game it could be built on top of that. This is all speculative and dependent on many things that are as yet unknown. I know there would be enough demand for it. Though perhaps LT2 (If LT2 is made) could include multiplayer as part of its design.

I do hope though, Flatfingers that you wouldn't not play the game simply because the scripting language has the capacity to be used in that fashion. That would be really unfortunate given that YOU would have to load and enable the script for it to cause you any harm. Not playing a game because the scripting language is insanely powerful just makes no sense to me. To each their own I suppose.

Online Now