Return to “Scripting & Modding”

Adding Colour to Ships

I know well that LTSL is only starting out with ship iteration (and re-iteration).

How many people would like to see colour added to ships, so as to add a custom-flare to your own pride and joy?
Factions could also add similar markings, as per "Deep Space Settlement", for example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYzzIQ1z-og

or X-Rebirth

Now, I am not referring to Glyphs, but more the accents of colour that adorn ships.

What are your thoughts, my reliable friends.
YAY PYTHON \o/

In Josh We Trust
-=326.3827=-
Re: Adding Colour to Ships

Well as the user thesilverspanch pointed out in an another thread, right now we seems to have only PlateMesh as texture building blocks for Ships. And they are colored with the same "metal" texture. A really hope, we will have some different meshes to play with in future. Or better even to have the ability to change them ourselves. At least the color. With the ability to change the structure of the meshes we tuely would have limitless possibility for modding in all kinds of stuff.

I like the idea of getting a new paint job for my spacecraft when I dock in the maintenance and repair bay, FormalMoss. :thumbup: It's certainly an option I would appreciate having. Other space game developers have realised there is a demand for customisation, both E:D and SC will be catering for that need. We see it all the time in real life so why not in Limit Theory? Obviously the default "out of the box" colours will need careful consideration by Josh but if you want to paint your fleet bright yellow, why not have the option in the game?

I think I will choose orange for my personal spacecraft as a sort of homage to Tangerine Dream. :lol:

In the end each plate of the platemesh will have a material ID that allows you to change texture and tint :) So yes, ships can and will have color and different materials.

As someone great once said, Soon™ :D
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

JoshParnell wrote:In the end each plate of the platemesh will have a material ID that allows you to change texture and tint :) So yes, ships can and will have color and different materials.
I've been really really hoping this would be the case! Especially if we can specify our own texture files to work with various materials. I kind of have my heart set on trying to make space plants. I also assume that the Plate elements in a PlateMesh dont have to be square all the time.

The only way i can think of, to get a logo on a ship, is to color some of the plates differently in a shape of a logo. I am sure it can be done by modding. Well maybe Josh has another way. Maybe we can change a texture of one of the big plates with a whole logo on it. Not sure if you would be able to do it in game.

Online Now