Return to “Scripting & Modding”

Re: Mod Ideas

I havent played the prototype either ;)

There is no "space" inside your ships that could be allocated dynamically.

There are hardpoints where you mount modules (fabricators, generators etc) in and those hardpoints are allocated akin to some "construction points" sheme at the point where you design the ship, not when you outfit it.

After the ship is built all hardpoints are fixed and no room can be re-allocated.

Also i think that you may not have to make a mod for this (at least not alone ;) )
As i think that pipelines and your suggestion are functionally equivalent.
So either it gets implemented (more or less) with pipelines (if they get into the game) or we could build this mod cooperatively
Last edited by Cornflakes_91 on Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

could not hardpoint nodes simply open up into something akin to star ruler ship design plans? Image You could customize hardpoints with internal equipment, and define how the equipment is laid out. it would scale differently for different hardpoints, so a research module could have specialized Labs to research various area of the tech tree more quickly than others, guns could be given larger magazines or additional strength to handle heavier or faster rounds, sensor modules could be specialized towards a specific object (detect ships at 300km but ore at 30km) or even byxite at 50km and lyxite at 500km because lyxite is more rare and thus valuable, you could tailor your crew quarters to a particular species or to robots by changing the life support systems and server space, you could wire up a power core for infrequent bursts of large amounts of energy or constant supplies of less energy...

Of course you could buy/sell pre-assembled hardpoints, but you could fine tune them the same way you can fine tune a custom computer or car.

To be honest, this might be a good addition to the vanilla game. It would certainly be a lot of "content" allowing for specialized production of actually useful things, customized ships best suited to their functions, and even a business opportunity to just buy components and sell them assembled as a larger part like a pre-made meal.
Challenging your assumptions is good for your health, good for your business, and good for your future. Stay skeptical but never undervalue the importance of a new and unfamiliar perspective.
Imagination Fertilizer
Beauty may not save the world, but it's the only thing that can

Cornflakes_91 wrote:We heard you like ships, so i build ships out of ships

This kinda overlaps with the component based research/construction.

I also think that this could become quite unbalanced fast the way you describe it hyperion.
How? and why should that matter, if I have the best components in a good configuration and you have crappie components or a crappy configuration than I can beat you easily, but perhaps I have crappy components in a good configuration while you are the opposite, I may still be able to beat you because your equipment isn't set up right. It in fact opens up a slight skill aspect to hardpoints, rather than just having the fanciest gear win. How the AI would know how to set up good hardpoints though, is a bit tricky perhaps.
With any equipment reconfigurable to a great extent you dont need to care nearly as much with buying.
Huh?
Challenging your assumptions is good for your health, good for your business, and good for your future. Stay skeptical but never undervalue the importance of a new and unfamiliar perspective.
Imagination Fertilizer
Beauty may not save the world, but it's the only thing that can

If you can reconfigure your ship on the fly to a great extent, redesigning it from speedy scout with a few flimsy weapons to a hulking heavy fighter at the flick of a button, could remove lots of balance from the game.

As you cannot outsmart your enemy with pre-battle equipment choice.
As he can adapt to it just by reconfiguring his equipment.

So any equipment relation to combat is moved to a big part into the configuration.
Which could throw the balance, which is built on choosing equipment not reconfiguring equipment, off course

You're vastly overstating the intended mechanic corn, it's not turn into a battleship with a button, it's mod some % to how certain systems work with each other. It's also pretty unlikely Hyp means doing it in flight, seeing as how you are messing with the hardware.
woops, my bad, everything & anything actually means specific and conformed

Cornflakes_91 wrote:I havent played the prototype either ;)

There is no "space" inside your ships that could be allocated dynamically.
"..."
Also i think that you may not have to make a mod for this (at least not alone ;) )
As i think that pipelines and your suggestion are functionally equivalent.
So either it gets implemented (more or less) with pipelines (if they get into the game) or we could build this mod cooperatively
Yeah, i'd like to - making a mod alone can be exhausting. When the time comes.
But before i have to learn LTSL (A thread "LTSL for Dummies" will come) and then practice with my first idea, the Instances with massive of not-friendly-zombielike-NPCs

Hyperion wrote:could not hardpoint nodes simply open up into something akin to star ruler ship design plans?
You could customize hardpoints with internal equipment, and define how the equipment is laid out. it would scale differently for different hardpoints, so a research module could have specialized Labs to research various area of the tech tree more quickly than others, guns could be given larger magazines or additional strength to handle heavier or faster rounds, sensor modules could be specialized towards a specific object (detect ships at 300km but ore at 30km) or even byxite at 50km and lyxite at 500km because lyxite is more rare and thus valuable, you could tailor your crew quarters to a particular species or to robots by changing the life support systems and server space, you could wire up a power core for infrequent bursts of large amounts of energy or constant supplies of less energy...
This reminds me to the game "Star Drive". That game was great too, especially the ship editor: Image
:D

I'm gonna go ahead and add this thread specifically to my LT bookmarks folder. :thumbup:

Lovin' the god game mod idea, Hyperion!

As I've mentioned over in my most active topic* :oops:, I've got my fingers crossed for some swank Dwarf Fortress tools (eg. Legends Viewer, node-style).

*In my defence, Josh himself invited "anyone [with a] good experience" to recount so that he could "live vicariously".
"omg such tech many efficiency WOW" ~ Josh Parnell

Hi all,

Long time lurker (I read the dev logs daily), first time poster.

Everybody seems to be dreaming up these huge ideas for total conversion mods and such... That's great and all, but I think it's more realistic to start small. Here are some things I see as being feasible and easy to implement within a short time of release:

Add new mission/job types. Most existing missions are simple (take this cargo here, mine this, kill that, etc.). I imagine it wouldn't be too hard to expand that list with some more interesting and niche missions. Examples:
-Distract an enemy force so your ally can sneak in and nuke their station.
-Disrupt shipping lanes in a system in order to cut off supplies to the planet's citizens.
-ambush a diplomatic mission, throwing the involved factions into war!
-infiltrate a faction and sell them this faulty blueprint in order to throw off their research.
...and so on.

Other fun mods that would be relatively simple to implement:
-Instigate a bank run/stock and commodity market crash at random times.
-Occasionally invoke natural disasters and/or plagues on planets, which will greatly disrupt their local economies.
-Occasionally cause a faction to go on a warlike rampage and start a suicidal galactic conquest against all reason, greatly disrupting the status quo.

These things would basically make the world a more interesting place by mixing it up every now and then. Imagine if you had built up a trading empire in a certain system, and then it was hit by an alien plague and the population was decimated. Cool stuff, no?

Many of these ideas could be easily implemented by simply tinkering with the variables in the underlying systems, I imagine.

Anyway, food for thought!

By the way, I'm and audio systems engineer by trade (I design guitar effects pedals, actually), and I'm constantly coding applications in C# and microcontroller firmware in C, so I think I could probably be up to the task of prototyping a few of these ideas in LTSL when the time comes.

Online Now