Return to “Scripting & Modding”

Re: Mod Ideas

Saevus wrote:
Just gotta say. You are defining delta v as used in ksp. In math delta usually just means change.
Ex.
Delta v(elocity) = V(elocity)f(inal) - V(elocity)i(nitial)
Basically the change in velocity (delta v) is equal to the final velocity minus the initial velocity.
So if you were going 2 m/s then you were going 3 m/s
your delta v is 1m/s.
Where was my deltaV not a change/difference?

Its the usual notation of maximal velocity change a spaceship can undergo using its onboard fuel.

hi,

First post here.
I discovered the game 3 days ago and I'm already addict.

I would like a terraforming mod, like simearth (for the elders of the forum), to bring life on dead planets. But of course, the time scale of terraforming (and life creation) is difficult to add in a real time game...

ps : sorry, I'm not an english native speaker.

davdav wrote:hi,

First post here.

I would like a terraforming mod, like simearth (for the elders of the forum), to bring life on dead planets. But of course, the time scale of terraforming (and life creation) is difficult to add in a real time game...

Welcome, welcome! Indulge yourself in the wonderful devlogs, update vid hype, and community discussions! Your English is fine, nothing to be apologetic about, I have no idea how many are native here, but it don't show.

Terraforming would actually be fun... Technically I can imagine a planet slowly and gradually shifting between 'states' with textures and stats, and it does add more stuff the AI and a high-level player can do. Probably won't take a century though :D Tis a game after all.
panic

davdav wrote:hi,

First post here.

Welcome :D

By meaning "difficult to add in real time" do you mean from the time point of view "in game", i.e. realistic times - plant a seed - wait 10 years for a tree. If so then maybe that could be gotten around by thinking something like; in the future there will be a (researchable/upgradeable) "nuke" or something you can drop that instantly changes the planet, and update the stats of the colonies alongside accordingly. Something that makes it believable at least (even if we cant comprehend that tech in our real lives in 2014).

I would think PCG engine this could be achieved well, if you don't like it - "nuke" it - bad word "nuke" I want those destructive! something like that. "nicenuke" "terranuke"

I like this idea (terraforming generally)
LTP Fleet Battles on Youtube

TheJuggler wrote:I like the idea of terraforming. I think 10 hours real time is waaay too short, though. I think it should be more like a week of RT. I certainly don't it to be anywhere *near* comparable to building a largeship or station -- at least, not in terms of time.
Well, terraforming could be made of different steps to provide different kind of results, with one step = one day.

One result is to bring life to produce something (food, ...) but it could be something else : make an atmosphere to produce a rare and expensive gaz for example.

davdav wrote:
TheJuggler wrote:I like the idea of terraforming. I think 10 hours real time is waaay too short, though. I think it should be more like a week of RT. I certainly don't it to be anywhere *near* comparable to building a largeship or station -- at least, not in terms of time.
Well, terraforming could be made of different steps to provide different kind of results, with one step = one day.

One result is to bring life to produce something (food, ...) but it could be something else : make an atmosphere to produce a rare and expensive gaz for example.
Hmmm...I think you're right. That would definitely make it feel more like a believable process, rather than an extended microwaveable meal. I remember when I played Spore, terraforming had to be done in specific steps -- first temp and atmosphere, then basic plant life, with animals being the last addition.

Maybe the process could look something like this:
1. Optimize atmos. and temp. -- possibly with the help of extremophiles?
2. Add water if needed (not sure how that could work, though :think: )
3. Single-celled plant life
4. Bacteria
5. Multi-cell plant life
6. Animal life
7. Initial settlement (in Spore, colonies literally unfolded instantaneously from a box. I think the actual colony should be preceded by initial settlement efforts)
8. ???
9. profit!
Limit Theory IRC

Hyperion wrote:An idea that I am particularly enamored by is turning LT into a God Game, Removing the player from having ships but instead controlling the environment that the AI live in. Where you can make an asteroid field out of nothing, and watch as the AI responds to it. Or perhaps give a chosen AI a blueprint for some amazing technology and watch what happens. Perhaps opening wormholes to different systems or just as easily closing them off, in the middle of an invasion perhaps... LT as a god game offers more potential enjoyment than anything Peter Molyneux could ever create, and I can't imagine it would be THAT difficult to make.
This is brilliant, and would make me very happy after the failure of Godus.
Perhaps we've never been visited by aliens because they have looked upon Earth and decided there's no sign of intelligent life.
-Neil deGrasse Tyson

Hyperion wrote:
Well the fun/horrifying idea about a plague is that it can spread and kill off everything, not that it will just randomly kill off some portion of the population, that seems too gamey and not very fun.

I proposed an idea of a scanner based plague here, where if you simply scan the infected, you become infected too. It would of course need some paranoia mechanics to go with it, but imagine having to fly blind out of fear that if you just look at the wrong thing, you will die like entire worlds have before you. It spreads naturally, and is a genuine disease and not just some line of code in the universe that may kill you.

However such an idea would be good for gamma ray bursts and other cosmic events, a very very tiny chance that the system will suddenly be sterilized, and there will only be a few minutes notice, while everyone and their mother scrambles for the wormholes for their very lives and overloads their capacities, not everyone will get out, especially if its a busy system.

:thumbup: I like it
Perhaps we've never been visited by aliens because they have looked upon Earth and decided there's no sign of intelligent life.
-Neil deGrasse Tyson

As I posted in a thread on Suggestions: "Bloomberg for LT."

The idea is, for whatever trading features Josh decides not to implement, to add them as a mod. Such features would include technical charting tools (trend and momentum indicators such as RSI, MACD, Bollinger bands), multiple chart types (candlestick, point-and-figure, etc), varying degrees of trading information (pay-to-play market data packages), varying levels of AI trading sophistication (understanding of and ability to follow technical indicators), and finally, trade-related news (commodity-related, technical indicator-related, and politically-related headlines or blurbs in a ticker).

For even more fun, we could add exchanges for trading futures, options, and other derivatives. The risk of default of such contracts would naturally be a lot higher in the LT universe (where death, destruction, and simple refusal to pay may be very common) than in the real world, making them more expensive to trade in.
Spacecredentials: looks at stars sometimes, cheated at X-Wing vs TIE Fighter, killed a titan once.

(This one belongs under the subheading Multiplayer Mod Ideas.)

Yesterday I watched Joss Whedon's (wrote, produced) In Your Eyes,
and I was impressed by the powerful foundational concept of a controllable psychic sensory link between two individuals.

Which leads me to the suggestion of transferring this idea into a multiplayer mode. Bullet list time...
  • Players do not cohabit a single universe. Each plays on a discrete single player universe and cannot act upon linked persons' universes.
  • Players in the same seed can "meet up" and see ghostly versions of the other's ship (toggleable). :ghost:
  • Player links are freely toggleable by either party.
  • Links have a 'slider', as in the movie. ie. you have the option to jump completely into the other's perspective --and even follow his/her cursor-- or variably overlay it over your own.
  • Full dive into a link optionally pauses your own universe and allows you to listen to the OST as your link is hearing it.
  • Elect to join a matchmaking pool and/or keep a 'friends' and 'blocked' list.
  • Actively transmit a broadcast when you want to share your experience real-time with your link.
  • Automatically send a broadcast of variable strength (depending on the 'excitement value') of events as they occur; set a threshold for receiving automatic broadcasts.
  • Juggle multiple links at once, assigning priority for broadcast reception.
  • Ingame chat/voice chat, of course.
LTSL and the LT engine are something special. Could they be up to the task of supporting a mod like this (with huge help from player-provided servers)? :squirrel:

Might it be possible as well to set it up so you can temporarily, if granted permission, hop over to your link's universe to engage in ordinary multiplayer stuff and hop back as you will?
"omg such tech many efficiency WOW" ~ Josh Parnell

Online Now