Return to “Scripting & Modding”

Re: Mod Ideas

DWMagus wrote:Now that everything is written in LTSL, I wonder if there should be a contest for "most complete game without being related to LT in any way". :lol:

For those wondering, someone made a racing game and RPG in StarCraft 2's editor and I'm wondering if someone will try the same with LTSL.
That ultralisk in the first one is adorable. :oops:
Image The results of logic, of natural progression? Boring! An expected result? Dull! An obvious next step? Pfui! Where is the fun in that? A dream may soothe, but our nightmares make us run!

After watching Josh code up a smiley face in update video #20 I got to thinking about how hard it would be to do a procedural face generator for the NPC. A picture speaks a thousand words and it would be good to have a visual of the target NPC you are viewing in the UI.

Ive been playing with Skyrim mods recently while I wait for this and they have a racemenu mod which alters the characters face (and body) using simple sliders which set a pre-determined attribute using numbers, so a similar thing would be ideal here.

The procedural part would just consistently pick the correct numbers for the NPC to get a consistent look (taking into account of race, age, weight, height etc.) then similar smiley face LTSL code to draw the image.

However coding a racemenu in LTSL would be quite a task I would imagine, although we could start fairly basic to get something going, and then build and build until we had the most beautiful character creation system going ever (!).

I think Josh has plans for future versions of lT to have people walking around etc, so this mod could even be the start of that, procedural characters. There is certainly a lot can be learned from the limitations in Skyrim system (where all races share the same "skeleton" is certainly a big limiting factor).

This may step on Josh's own plans, if so fair enough, but if it could give us some early NPC faces for LT1 and possible help him/future mods to further rapid develop the full character thing later - using this for the face at least, it would save a lot of future dev time I would have thought.
LTP Fleet Battles on Youtube

aspman wrote:After watching Josh code up a smiley face in update video #20 I got to thinking about how hard it would be to do a procedural face generator for the NPC. A picture speaks a thousand words and it would be good to have a visual of the target NPC you are viewing in the UI.
I don't think Josh is planning to do realistic faces (at least not in LT1), but there has been some support for the idea of Pareidolic Icons for NPCs
- The Snark Knight

"Look upward, and share the wonders I've seen."

aspman wrote:I think Josh has plans for future versions of lT to have people walking around etc
He does? :shock:
aspman wrote:After watching Josh code up a smiley face in update video #20 I got to thinking about how hard it would be to do a procedural face generator for the NPC. A picture speaks a thousand words and it would be good to have a visual of the target NPC you are viewing in the UI.

Ive been playing with Skyrim mods recently while I wait for this and they have a racemenu mod which alters the characters face (and body) using simple sliders which set a pre-determined attribute using numbers, so a similar thing would be ideal here.

The procedural part would just consistently pick the correct numbers for the NPC to get a consistent look (taking into account of race, age, weight, height etc.) then similar smiley face LTSL code to draw the image.
This sounds like it would be a very nice mod for LT.

Rather than the face generation software used by BethSoft (FaceGen, I think), though, I'd hope they go with something more like this generator for the Korean MMORPG Black Desert. Months later, this still knocks my socks off.

Flatfingers wrote:
aspman wrote:I think Josh has plans for future versions of lT to have people walking around etc
hmmm or is that me just hoping? ... I had it in my head it was coming but maybe asking for it didn't make it one of his plans so I better shut up! If it is not in his plans, there is another mod for someone then .... :lol:
LTP Fleet Battles on Youtube

aspman wrote:
Flatfingers wrote:
hmmm or is that me just hoping? ... I had it in my head it was coming but maybe asking for it didn't make it one of his plans so I better shut up! If it is not in his plans, there is another mod for someone then .... :lol:
We didn't make the stretch goal for walking around stations. :(
Image The results of logic, of natural progression? Boring! An expected result? Dull! An obvious next step? Pfui! Where is the fun in that? A dream may soothe, but our nightmares make us run!

aspman wrote:
Flatfingers wrote:
I know that Josh has made at least one remark about walking around (specifically, planet-side freedom of movement-- think No Man's Sky) being something "essential to the genre" (not quoting exact words), but was culled from LT for obvious feature pruning reasons.
Pretty sure as well that this is on his wishlist for the currently mystical/distant 'LT 2'.

Too lazy atm to break out the search-fu to confirm that, I'll admit. :oops:
"omg such tech many efficiency WOW" ~ Josh Parnell

Planetary rings
Some wicked space ship designs & skins
Visible reactions between ships and small asteroids
Enemy/ally ship boarding
Space walking (with neat propulsion suits)
Propulsion suits!!
Ship landing/perching on asteroids
Planet/satellite/binary solar system/asteroid field orbits (if in fact everything will be stationary which is boo)
Augmented Reality orbital lines and more planetary info eg: mass, atmospheric composition, gravity, rotation/orbit info)
Ships with in-ship housing
Some beautiful augmented reality ship interfaces
Exotic landscapes & alien species on planets
Visible signs of planetary life from space (city light emission, ships exiting and entering atmosphere)
Dynamic planetary weather viewed from space (thunderstorms & hurricanes)
Rogue planets
Neutron stars
Still forming solar systems
Solar flares
Back holes (a black hole siphoning energy off of a massive star would be neat)
Meteors
Comets
Dynamic asteroids (icy and metallic looking with greatly varying shapes and physical features)
Supernovas!!!
Greenhouse style space stations to own
And last but not least, a Dyson sphere!

cooperz wrote:Planetary rings
already in the game
cooperz wrote: Ship landing/perching on asteroids
was in once, not sure if it still is.
maybe no mod needed
cooperz wrote: Ships with in-ship housing
wat?
cooperz wrote: Some beautiful augmented reality ship interfaces
what would be the difference to now?
cooperz wrote: Visible signs of planetary life from space (city light emission, ships exiting and entering atmosphere)
will likely be in the base game
cooperz wrote: Rogue planets
so you want planets outside of solar systems in a game where you only can fly inside solar systems?
:roll:
cooperz wrote: Dynamic asteroids (icy and metallic looking with greatly varying shapes and physical features)
wish granted, already in the game
cooperz wrote: Greenhouse style space stations to own
design one with the station editor, no mod needed

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
cooperz wrote:Planetary rings
already in the game
Not necessarily.

Josh has showed planets with a zone of sparse, large asteroids around them. That's not necessarily the same thing as a "planetary ring," meaning something that's visually and functionally more like Saturn's rings.
Cornflakes_91 wrote:
cooperz wrote: Rogue planets
so you want planets outside of solar systems in a game where you only can fly inside solar systems?
:roll:
This game is going to be filled with procedurally generated areas of space, each connected by wormholes to other such areas. There is no reason whatsoever that some of these areas might have no central star or anything else in them (other than a wormhole to somewhere else).

Some of these starless systems, on the other hand, might have a planet in them. That would be effectively equivalent to a "rogue planet."

Yes, these places would be less brightly and directly lit (because no star) -- does that seem to you like something Josh couldn't easily handle through ambient lighting?

Come on, Cornflakes, work with people's imagination here. :D

Another "Mod Idea" - (If anyone else had this idea already i'm sorry) which came in my mind is a

Community Ship Gallery.

There will be a lot of Ships / Stations which will be generated or designed. But i did not see a decent way to share those jewels.

So if you are able to upload/download a ship design ingame through a mod i would be very happy.

Requirements / Features would be:
  • Ingame Ship Viewer (with its rending-engine)
  • Upload Ship with additional information (Description, Logo, Requirements (e.g. Research Hull Lvl 5 or materials), Tags)
  • Rate other Ships
  • Comparsion to other ships/stations
  • Requires Internet Socket and Server
  • Filter and download your favorite ships (e.g. all ships with star-wars-tag and minimum 4 of 5 stars)
  • Ships are immediately available for flying without the need to switch back to the OS
  • Comments to ships? ("Ship-Owner" would be able to delete them)
:D

More Mod Madness

= Pirates of the n seas =
Removes all the fancy spacestuff and sets you on a planet in your fine little jollyboat. Build a tradeempire or plunder it. Build ports, trade.
It's Limit Theory
...on the water.
(May be obsolete with LT2)

= Interiors =
A dream for every Crocodilealigator. Stroll through the hallways of your ship or station and experience the excitement of walking FIRST HAND. Creeping wandering and jogging are just a few of your movement options. Be among the first to be annoyed by advertisement IN SHOPS!

= Arts and Crafts =
Allows the player and NPCs to create paintings, statues, jewellery and other objects without further use. Sell or hord and live a life at the existential minimum.
[hypes internälly]

Online Now