Return to “Scripting & Modding”

Re: Mod Ideas

I'd like to try out and make a singleplayer campaign on the forge environment from Homeworld from a first person perspective.

Flying through the ancient dilapidated Forge that's as big as a solar system (at least that's the impression Homeworld gave me) would be awesome!

The main goal of this might be to gather enough tech from the derelicts found there to build yourself a jump-drive and get out.

Grumblesaur wrote:So an audio clip of Jennifer Hale saying "Trent, we need to go faster" every time you come across a battleship spawn, right?
God that was annoying.
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

Flatfingers wrote:
F4wk35 wrote:Memorials of special occasions or people, generated somewhere in a random zone.
Optional, maybe?

That tends to break the "fourth wall" of immersiveness.
What if the memorials are for NPCs of high stature, such as CEOs and famous bounty hunters. It could be something that helps immerse the player within the LT universe. This could also be used for events that have occurred in the past. Think of a news feed that details great battles, famines, heists, and assassinations that have all occurred in your particular universe. These events could be added to recent history if they happen while the player is playing LT.
Last edited by BFett on Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BFett wrote:
Flatfingers wrote:
F4wk35 wrote:Memorials of special occasions or people, generated somewhere in a random zone.
Optional, maybe?

What if the memorials are for NPCs of high stature, such as CEOs and famous bounty hunters. It could be something that helps immerse the player within the LT universe.
you could have a wikipedia inside LT with these people, that'd be interesting and it sounds like an interesting project :geek:

~Sly
IVE BEEN OUT OF MY MIND A LONG TIME

BFett wrote:
Flatfingers wrote:
Optional, maybe?

What if the memorials are for NPCs of high stature, such as CEOs and famous bounty hunters. It could be something that helps immerse the player within the LT universe. This could also be used for events that have occurred in the past. Think of a news feed that details great battles, famines, heists, and assassinations that have all occurred in your particular universe. These events could be added to recent history if they happen while the player is playing LT.
That, I'd like.

It's just that, with all due respect to my fellow forum members, it would be pretty jarring to encounter a memorial for an executive NPC named "Cornflakes" or "Fresh V." ;)

But I do like the idea that history of some kind is being recorded, and that Big Things tend to linger in the databanks much longer than "bought 3000 units of quadrotriticale."

Perhaps it was the CEO of the biggest breakfast-producer of the known universe, who invented the everywhere-famous Cornflakes91-brand :lol:

And yes, without history, it would miss something. :ghost:
Apparently, sometimes stuff might happen.
- - - - - - - -

F4wk35 wrote:Perhaps it was the CEO of the biggest breakfast-producer of the known universe, who invented the everywhere-famous Cornflakes91-brand :lol:

And yes, without history, it would miss something. :ghost:
The thing is, something like this may already be in the game -- or at least the basic elements needed to implement it.

We think we know that Limit Theory will be an information-rich game. Major market trades, map (and maybe sensor data), and battle data are all things that players might want to be able to keep some record of. I don't think it's too much of a stretch to guess that this information might be connected with a character's name.

Further, Josh has previously said that he wanted to implement a kind of historical record of events -- at least the ones leading up to when the player starts playing the game:
[color=#FF0000]JoshParnell[/color] wrote:Ideally, I would like to procedurally generate an entire backstory to explain why the player is in their current situation. I.e., when you start the game, you'll have roughly the same net worth each time, but vastly different roles. Perhaps one time you're in the middle of a trade run and find some cargo in your hold, and a nearby planet offering a good price. Perhaps another time you're docked in an asteroid base in a dusty field, and your logs indicate that you've just gotten back from a successful bounty hunting mission.

For me, the best thing would be to have this procedural backstory, then have a system explaining how to complete/continue it. In some sense, it's like beginning with a mission, or beginning when you're halfway through a mission, much like the EVE setup you describe.

Of course, how feasible this whole thing is...remains to be seen, but it would be very neat to have a different story each time you begin!
Josh goes into more technical detail about this in his Devlog of June 25, 2013.

A month later, in Development Update #7 back in July of 2013, Josh talked about how his engine can use an abstracted simulation of some parts of the game universe, and how that simulation will allow the generation of history. (Listen starting at about 7 minutes in if you can't watch the whole video.)

Finally, on April 11, 2014, Josh talked about implementing hierarchical market data history; and on December 22, 2014, he described making his event history buffers specific to star systems.

So I believe that, even if a "memorial" feature isn't in LT 1.0, it sounds like there's a good chance that the necessary source data and some of the code hooks may be implemented already to allow a relatively simple mod to be created.

Flatfingers wrote:It's just that, with all due respect to my fellow forum members, it would be pretty jarring to encounter a memorial for an executive NPC named "Cornflakes" or "Fresh V." ;)
I missed this, Flat! :)

I entirely agree that "Cornflakes" and "Fresh V" would be totally inappropriate as memorials but "Victor's Tomb" has a certain style about it. :lol:

I'm sure Josh would jump at the chance of including a memorial which would recompense him for all the "poking him with pointy stick" comments I have made. He must have had some days when he found me to be more than a little irritating. :mrgreen:

Online Now