Return to “Scripting & Modding”

Re: Mod Ideas

Cornflakes_91 wrote:I dont think that a niven ring would add much to the game besides the wow effect.
Good enough for me!

Also, welcome to the forums LordNouda! :wave:
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

Oddy wrote:Another thing I would like to see is better usage of a multi-monitor environment. Think about the map from Supreme Commander 1, but a lot more customization and possibilities.
oooh that would be nice. Have the market open in one monitor, and be mining/flying in the other. Or have the local map RTS mode in one monitor and take part in the fleet battle in the other. Would come in extremely handy.

Josh already stated awhile back that multi-monitor support will be there as well as customizing the UI, so all those options will be possible.
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

Welliamrich wrote:Well, what about what happens with the K9000? When you convert it with a kit/schematic at a workbench into a completely different model weapon, you can get special effects like rechambering the gun, this allows for a semi unique weapon which could perhaps facilitate additional mods?
Methinks someone posted to the wrong forum, possibly you mean this:

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/K9000_cyberdog_gun

;)
YAY PYTHON \o/

In Josh We Trust
-=326.3827=-

Cornflakes_91 wrote:Could you please rephrase your post to express all your thoughts in a more coherent fashion? :lol:

I think i got your idea but im not sure :lol:

welcome to the forums :wave:
I think (s)he is saying that if objects such as weapons have components themselves, they could be more unique. Like adding a scope or a silencer to a gun, or changing out a titanium chamber for a spun diamond chamber to give your shells a little more oomph (increased speed and kinetic damage)

I think that customizing weapons would be good on small fighter type ships, but on battleships or fleets, it could probably be abstracted to "I want guns A-G to specialize in accuracy, H-L to specialize in speed, M-Q to specialize in Hard Damage and R-Z to be balanced. Each gun would be slightly tweaked without having to buy a whole new weapon.

As to Fleets, just say "I want a fast strike team, in and out, light and deadly accurate, have them take out thrusters to strand the enemy in a dozen locations so the main force can come in and mop them up one at a time"
Challenging your assumptions is good for your health, good for your business, and good for your future. Stay skeptical but never undervalue the importance of a new and unfamiliar perspective.
Imagination Fertilizer
Beauty may not save the world, but it's the only thing that can

Well, first of all: Hello! I'm following Josh's Posts on Youtube for quite a time now and i'm really excited.

I'm a big fan of mods - Wouldn't there be mods for minecraft, i've never would have played the game for years!

I've got two ideas and if i've got the time i will try to realize them:
- Instances: Kinda like those instances in EVE Online, with a mix of Zombiemode in Call of Duty. An area in space with lots of enemies. You have to encounter wave after wave and if you die or warp out you loose.

- Fabric Halls: I liked this part in Minecraft (Tekkit) a lot. Building machines, link them up, manage resources, optimize fabrication, save space, etc etc. I'd like to see this in LT, perhaps on a space-station or a big vessel. Should be fun creating these production lines, for the creation of high tech products. It's difficult to program but till now i don't know the capabilities of the scripting language yet.

Picture for those who never played Minecraft (Tekkit): Image
:D

I used to play minecraft, mostly with the more biomes and Millénaire mod, but never got anything that fancy. I imagine he will have all these options, as he said he wants to make the game easily accessible but also able to be delved in deeper to allow more customization and efficiency. I am grateful for that.

also, Welcome! :D

N-Joy wrote: - Fabric Halls: I liked this part in Minecraft (Tekkit) a lot. Building machines, link them up, manage resources, optimize fabrication, save space, etc etc. I'd like to see this in LT, perhaps on a space-station or a big vessel. Should be fun creating these production lines, for the creation of high tech products. It's difficult to program but till now i don't know the capabilities of the scripting language yet.
Firs of: welcome to the forums :wave:
you can rightout forget about josh's YT comments, stay with the devlogs here in the forum ^^ (albeit you picked a bad time for this as josh statrs his 2 week vacation today)

There wont be much of building factories like in minecraft / buildcraft, as you wont walk around aboard ships.
No internal spaces to do buildcraft optimization play.

but i suggested something similar with pipelines a while back

Cornflakes_91 wrote: There wont be much of building factories like in minecraft / buildcraft, as you wont walk around aboard ships.
No internal spaces to do buildcraft optimization play.

but i suggested something similar with pipelines a while back
Thanks for your suggestion. I do like the concept of pipelines. But there is too .. perfect. Indeed not much room for optimization

So i thought about my idea and how to implement it. First of all, a plain 2D-View is enough. There will be different types of Modules, each one should be able to be researched (smaller size ... etc etc).
Limitation will be the available space in stations/ships and the size of the modules.
So building an efficient base is necessary if you don't want to split the whole process into several bases.
Image I hope the picture explains itself, every module has its own properties and rules. Important are the puller and the pushers, as they manage the logic of all items which are used in the process.
The puller can request items from the storage (and all other modules who are connected to it [not sure about that yet]). So if, for example, the refinery runs out of "Randomness", the puller requests items from the storage. If there are not enough parts left, the request will be send to the loading dock which requests the items from available haulers (and other stations/big ships).

It's only a first concept and a lot of parts are missing (e.g. handling fluid materials, advanced pipe logic, (blueprints for) assembly arrays.)

I think you are thinking a bit too much into how ships are handled internally.

To make the minecraft analogy, ships use AE, not buildcraft.

Every production action gets its inputs from the cargo bay and puts its outputs back there.

There are maybe some ways to customise and control the energy allocation (hopefully somewhat like this), but those arent a given either.

But as im writing this pipelines could also be applied ship internal... to reserve wares for certain processes and to isolate processes from each other.

And from what i see your idea is functionally equivalent to my pipelines.

As pipelines dont care what your ware is, as long as it has a which can carry the ware (and i honestly wouldnt make a major difference between wares, LT is already complex enough ^^)

Cornflakes_91 wrote:I think you are thinking a bit too much into how ships are handled internally.

To make the minecraft analogy, ships use AE, not buildcraft.

Every production action gets its inputs from the cargo bay and puts its outputs back there.

There are maybe some ways to customise and control the energy allocation (hopefully somewhat like this), but those arent a given either.

But as im writing this pipelines could also be applied ship internal... to reserve wares for certain processes and to isolate processes from each other.

And from what i see your idea is functionally equivalent to my pipelines.

As pipelines dont care what your ware is, as long as it has a which can carry the ware (and i honestly wouldnt make a major difference between wares, LT is already complex enough ^^)
Well, i had no opportunity to play the game :cry: - So i don't know if this idea for a mod is even fun.
I didn't talk about the ship-systems, these "fabric-halls" are just using space within an object (base, ship or starbase) and run totally independent (but that's a good idea too, thanks. An example would be a big mining ship with an included refinery)

Minecraft can be also very complex (especially with the right mods) - but instead of going out for long trips to explore the world i had more fun in building a base.

In the moment LT comes out i will buy the game and play it. And then i'll decide if i want to (try to) modify the game. Remove the old production-system and change it through the modular one. Josh's UI (as i saw it on youtube) should be able to handle 2D Symbols.

But hey, it's just an idea for a mod :)

Online Now