Return to “Scripting & Modding”

Themes

Hello Everyone,
I like to talk about things that aren't game breaking when it comes to this, so what are the plans for themes, will they be one flat theme, or customizable, and if the latter to what extent?

~Sly
IVE BEEN OUT OF MY MIND A LONG TIME
Re: Themes

Hmmm this makes me wonder how much of the interface is exposed to LTSL. It seams like a good deal of it is, in which case I dont see any reason why there couldnt be infinite variability in your color/button layout. I imagine as soon as we have some documentation on LTSL, there will be an explosion of threads like this as we all figure out what is/isnt customizable.

Katawa wrote:This thread is much too broad.
Well i guess that makes it open to a hijack.

My guess is that the major themes of mods will be as follows

AI Enhancement (You killed everyone I ever loved, I want to fight you but I am weak, so I am going to recruit friends against you or die trying)
Narrative Enrichment (Captain's Log: Several members have been infected with STDs, including and especially the captain)
Graphics Enhancements (lighting, shaders, reflections, oh my)
New Content (space lighthouses, space stadiums, deep space penetration weapons)
New Interfaces (space paperwork, space tv, space poker)
Godmode toys (supernova bullets and manual market sliders)
Major overhalls (Steampunk Airships with flying cities and quaint English accents)
Bigger Overhauls (3D spreadsheets)

And so many dicks, they will be everywhere.
Challenging your assumptions is good for your health, good for your business, and good for your future. Stay skeptical but never undervalue the importance of a new and unfamiliar perspective.
Imagination Fertilizer
Beauty may not save the world, but it's the only thing that can

Cornflakes_91 wrote:Aaand Hyperion missed the point with pinpoint accuracy :

I guess sly ment mods to theme the UI, make it look like android, make it look like iOS, make it look like something else...
You can't aim at a point that isn't visible. For example, you followed up with "I guess"
woops, my bad, everything & anything actually means specific and conformed

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
I guess sly ment mods to theme the UI, make it look like iOS
ew... please no.

Also, I am thinking that perhaps a modding subforum should include a little more than the technical backend, like plans for mods.
Challenging your assumptions is good for your health, good for your business, and good for your future. Stay skeptical but never undervalue the importance of a new and unfamiliar perspective.
Imagination Fertilizer

There's no problem, perhaps I worded it poorly. I was intending to say that this is the kind of thread I think there should be more of. Plans for mods.
Imagination Fertilizer

this was a bit broad, by this I did mean themes for editing the code, like color mappings and background colors and texts and what not, but any theme related stuff is good I guess :D

~Sly
IVE BEEN OUT OF MY MIND A LONG TIME

It should be possible to come up with syntax highlighting fairly easily once we have some documentation. I use Sublime Text most of the time, and it has a pretty robust system for coming up ith your own custom definitions. I love Sublime, and think it would be great to figure out how to get some LTSL syntax highlighting!

The folks over at Sublime have a tutorial on syntax definitions here

Hyperion wrote:
Katawa wrote:This thread is much too broad.
AI Enhancement (You killed everyone I ever loved, I want to fight you but I am weak, so I am going to recruit friends against you or die trying)
Narrative Enrichment (Captain's Log: Several members have been infected with STDs, including and especially the captain)
Graphics Enhancements (lighting, shaders, reflections, oh my)
New Content (space lighthouses, space stadiums, deep space penetration weapons)
New Interfaces (space paperwork, space tv, space poker)
Godmode toys (supernova bullets and manual market sliders)
Major overhalls (Steampunk Airships with flying cities and quaint English accents)
Bigger Overhauls (3D spreadsheets)

And so many dicks, they will be everywhere.
LT started out as a cool game, and ended up turning into a language to generate any sort of world that pleases you. I liked how the one caveat given by Josh about the shapes of zones was, "anything that can be described by math." Now all we need is a parametric equation to describe the shape of a dick and we're set!

It would be great if one could create modules for the HUD. It already looks like a desktop with multiple workspaces, so the modules could almost act like windows (or like widgets/gadgets/conky). Josh already has modules: the radar, the crosshair, speed, ship information. Hopefully the underlying data could be exposed to LTSL so that e.g. one could use the raw data from the radar to create a custom radar module. There are probably many ways one could display the radar to convey different information, and perhaps somebody'll come up with an amazingly intuitive and easy-to-use radar that will be the go-to standard of space radars for years to come!

This might require graphical capabilities, which I'm not sure if LTSL have at the moment. To direct this post more towards themes, one could expose the colors and styles used in the main theme, such that while you may draw freehand, you can also use graphical units which'll change depending on the theme. If the original modules then uses these graphical units, a custom theme would just be to duplicate and edit the units.

Probably too computationally expensive and too niche for it to be actually worth it, but still...

EDIT: Rejoice! It seems it's already been made into the game! Nevermind my ramblings then :D

Online Now