Return to “Polls”

Assuming they're "done well", do you enjoy earning achievements?

Achievements are awesome, and I'm very disappointed that Josh won't be adding them.
Total votes: 2 (5%)
I love trying to earn achievements, and try to earn them in a lot of the games I play.
Total votes: 2 (5%)
They can be fun, and sometimes I try to earn them if I like a game, but not always.
Total votes: 14 (34%)
It's neat to see them pop up sometimes, but they don't add much gameplay value for me.
Total votes: 15 (37%)
I don't really pay them any attention at all. (Alternatively: what? What are achievements?)
Total votes: 5 (12%)
Occasionally they bug me if I see them too often, but I mostly don't notice.
Total votes: 1 (2%)
They annoy me somewhat, but I deal with it and pretend they don't exist.
(No votes)
I prefer platforms that don't have achievements partly because they get on my nerves.
Total votes: 1 (2%)
Achievements are one of the worst things that have ever happened to games.
Total votes: 1 (2%)
Total votes: 41
Post

Re: Steam Achievements

#16
This poll is turning out very well! I'm actually surprised nobody dislikes achievements, but the number that simply see them as "interesting data" is... well, interesting. :) Flatfingers explained it best though, I think. The forums right now are mostly filled with explorer types, so it stands to reason that most people would be less interested in achievements and more interested in the data they provide. Those that aren't seem to only be interested in them for the sake of extra challenges.

(This is just me thinking out loud. :) )
Image
Have a question? Send me a PM! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image
Post

Re: Steam Achievements

#18
JanB1 wrote:
F4wk35 wrote:I play games for fun, so I usually don't care about achievements. It's nice to see them pop up on occasion, but I won't actively hunt after them. :shifty:
I live when they are tied to lasting moments. Like, when you first consume a dragon soul in Skyrim, and you get this cool achievement. That was an achievement done right. :D
That's true! Well placed achievements are great and motivating! :lol:
Apparently, sometimes stuff might happen.
Post

Re: Steam Achievements

#20
I don't care either way about Achievements, but I'd like to note one thing I did deliberately because of the Achievements:

Sonic 3 on the Xbox 360 has, like all XBLA games released at that time, 12 Achievements. Four of them are given for completing Hydrocity Zone (the second level), Marble Garden Zone (the third level), Ice Cap Zone (the fifth level), and the game (six levels altogether).

Sonic 3 is also quite possibly the buggiest game ever made, and as such I decided I didn't need to complete both Acts of Ice Cap Zone (see the first 2:30 of this video). As such, I'm probably the only person who has the Achievement for completing the game, but not the one for completing Ice Cap Zone, despite the fact that the latter is supposed to be a compulsory part of earning the former. :mrgreen:
Games I like, in order of how much I like them.
Post

Re: Steam Achievements

#23
Lum wrote:If the game itself hasn't enough motivation, something is wrong with it IMHO.
Nah, I think you misunderstood me. It's just a little extra. A little bonus. I mean, in Skyrim it's one of the greatest moments when you first kill a dragon and consume its soul. You feel like a freaking hero.
And then, in addition, this little achievement pops up and further confirms your feel of strength and all.
Automation engineer, lateral thinker, soldier, addicted to music, books and gaming.
Nothing to see here
Flatfingers wrote: 23.01.2017: "Show me the smoldering corpse of Perfectionist Josh"
Post

Re: Steam Achievements

#24
JanB1 wrote:
Lum wrote:If the game itself hasn't enough motivation, something is wrong with it IMHO.
Nah, I think you misunderstood me. It's just a little extra. A little bonus. I mean, in Skyrim it's one of the greatest moments when you first kill a dragon and consume its soul. You feel like a freaking hero.
And then, in addition, this little achievement pops up and further confirms your feel of strength and all.
Yes well, if they're so conceived and not as aditional bonus. Killing a dragon is a big feat and additionally you're given a medal. Good, okay. If you receive a medal each time you kill 100 minions, that's lame.
I have been - and always shall be - your friend.
Post

Re: Steam Achievements

#25
Lum wrote:
JanB1 wrote:
Lum wrote:If the game itself hasn't enough motivation, something is wrong with it IMHO.
Nah, I think you misunderstood me. It's just a little extra. A little bonus. I mean, in Skyrim it's one of the greatest moments when you first kill a dragon and consume its soul. You feel like a freaking hero.
And then, in addition, this little achievement pops up and further confirms your feel of strength and all.
Yes well, if they're so conceived and not as aditional bonus. Killing a dragon is a big feat and additionally you're given a medal. Good, okay. If you receive a medal each time you kill 100 minions, that's lame.
Indeed. First one is the more rightish way to do it, the second one is just...well...uncreative. "Hey, we need some achievements, what are we gonna do?" - "Just give them an achievement every time they kill x-amount of enemies and continue this until it reaches ridiculous high counts, so they will stay in our game as long as possible, grinding kills for this achievement!"

I like the sometimes funny achievements you get in "Helldivers" or "Stanley Parable". :D
Automation engineer, lateral thinker, soldier, addicted to music, books and gaming.
Nothing to see here
Flatfingers wrote: 23.01.2017: "Show me the smoldering corpse of Perfectionist Josh"
Post

Re: Steam Achievements

#28
I like achievements when they're optional, difficult tasks. The ones that just mark milestones in the standard progression of the game are a little silly.

Exception made for "The Part Where He Kills You Now" in Portal 2, which was very silly, but clearly intended to be a joke.

Because Limit Theory allows for both vertical progression and horizontal progression, achievement chains become fairly meaningless. Big accomplishments, such as colonizing/purchasing/conquering your first planet, might be worth the attention, but we don't need 600 of them. If we were going to have achievements at all, a dozen or two at most is all I think you could squeeze out of the game without having "kill/mine/salvage/fly X ships/asteroids/cargo pods/light years" grindcounts littering the list.
Shameless Self-Promotion 0/ magenta 0/ Forum Rules & Game FAQ
Post

Re: Steam Achievements

#29
LT Achievement List

First Kill
10 Kills
100 Kills
1,000 Kills
1,000,000 Kills

First Virgin System Discovered
10 Systems Discovered
100 Systems Discovered
1,000 Systems Discovered
1,000,000 Systems Discovered

First Transient wormhole discovered
...

First Employee
First Contract completed
First Tech Researched
etc


Simply marks the beginners, the casuals, the fans, the dedicated, the escapists, and the addicted

and then for someone who gets 1,000,000 of everything: Chief of Squirrels :squirrel: :squirrel:
Image The traditional view of robotics, the metal servant who doesn't ask questions, is merely nostalgia for slavery.
User: JoshParnell is accountable for this user's actions.

Online Now

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron