Return to “Polls”

What's your opinion on Josh adding some limited voice audio in LT?

Yes: I think the possible benefits of adding some voice audio would outweigh the likely costs.
Total votes: 7 (22%)
Maybe: I'd be OK either way.
Total votes: 16 (50%)
No: I think the likely costs of adding some voice audio would outweigh the possible benefits.
Total votes: 9 (28%)
Total votes: 32
Immersive Speech in Limit Theory

Victor got me thinking: does Limit Theory need some immersive speech audio?

This doesn't mean hiring voice actors for every NPC, or the procedurally generated version of that. It's about whether some selected voice audio -- pilot chatter, station instructions, market buzz, etc. -- might be worth implementing.

(Note that I'm not expressing any opinion on this question, either for or against, by posting this poll. It's strictly because I'm curious to learn what people here think.)
Re: Immersive Speech in Limit Theory

plillevold wrote:Yes!!

A soft female voice, slightly computerised, saying: "Make yourself comfortable, Hacker. Stay a while." :thumbup:
"This old inn's as clean as an elven arse."
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

The vote options are made under the presumption that adding voices to the game would be beneficial. I prefer the old Alien's Mother computer style, so no voices for me, thank you, only the sounds of buttons pressed and the leather of my seat when I try to find a more conformable position. And the smell of coffee as I take another drink watching the many screens all around me, waiting for that elusive signal to appear again.
"Playing" is not simply a pastime, it is the primordial basis of imagination and creation. - Hideo Kojima

In an ideal world, would I like chatter? yes.
Would I like chatter that is anything but as dynamic and vibrant as the rest of LT? no.

What I think a good middleground is, is having hooks in the code for various AI behaviors that could have a modder come in and add in voices later. Basically, so the code allows for a/several voice file(s) to be attached to a particular AI action, but doesn't come with any files by default.
Challenging your assumptions is good for your health, good for your business, and good for your future. Stay skeptical but never undervalue the importance of a new and unfamiliar perspective.
Imagination Fertilizer
Beauty may not save the world, but it's the only thing that can

Hyperion wrote:In an ideal world, would I like chatter? yes.
Would I like chatter that is anything but as dynamic and vibrant as the rest of LT? no.

What I think a good middleground is, is having hooks in the code for various AI behaviors that could have a modder come in and add in voices later. Basically, so the code allows for a/several voice file(s) to be attached to a particular AI action, but doesn't come with any files by default.
If Josh let us throw money at him, getting more voices wouldn't be an issue! :lol:
<Detritus> I went up to my mom and said "hey... do you feel like giving five dollars to black lives matter?" and she laughed and said no :v <Black--Snow> my life does matter though ~~ added by Hema on Jun 11 2020 (2770)

Victor Tombs wrote:
Black--Snow wrote:If Josh let us throw money at him, getting more voices wouldn't be an issue! :lol:
:shifty: I was actually hoping for some quality in the voice contributions. :angel:
:o
I am Groot.
Please don't take my advice. You will wind up in jail if you do.
For some reason, I feel obliged to display how many people have talked in IRC over the past 2 hours: Image :problem:
:ugeek:

Victor Tombs wrote:
Black--Snow wrote:If Josh let us throw money at him, getting more voices wouldn't be an issue! :lol:
:shifty: I was actually hoping for some quality in the voice contributions. :angel:
Get REKT? :think:

Fresh V: The Burn? :think:

And here I thought that you had stopped setting people on fire when you retired. :twisted: :ghost:
Image The results of logic, of natural progression? Boring! An expected result? Dull! An obvious next step? Pfui! Where is the fun in that? A dream may soothe, but our nightmares make us run!

It's funny; we often talk about this game or that considered to have "bad" voice acting, or so-bad-it's-good-in-a-way voice acting (Two Worlds). And we sometimes mention games that we think have unusually good voice acting (Bastion, Portal).

What's the difference? That is, what makes one game sound amateurish and immersion-breaking, while another game's characters speak exactly like the people we imagine they are?

Is it just a matter of paying for professionals who do a lot of voice work and have access to high-powered recording studios? Or is there something more to getting voice acting that enhances rather than breaks immersion?

How would you apply that "something" to choosing voice actors for background chatter in Limit Theory?

Online Now