Total votes: 31 (14%)
Star Wars
Total votes: 34 (15%)
Stargate
Total votes: 30 (13%)
Toilet Paper
Total votes: 13 (6%)
Total votes: 228
Re: How would you rank these space sci-fi franchises?

Victor Tombs wrote: Edit: :shifty: It wasn't Babylon 5 that got the chop as you may have noticed. Didn't anyone else enjoy this space opera? I watched the whole five seasons with someone I loved very much who had never shown the remotest interest in science fiction. "Sleeping in Light" the final episode, still reduces me to tears. :oops:
You arent the only one :angel:
In terms of the B5 franchise im sad that crusade got axed after the few episodes it had :(

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Victor Tombs wrote: Edit: :shifty: It wasn't Babylon 5 that got the chop as you may have noticed. Didn't anyone else enjoy this space opera? I watched the whole five seasons with someone I loved very much who had never shown the remotest interest in science fiction. "Sleeping in Light" the final episode, still reduces me to tears. :oops:
You arent the only one :angel:
In terms of the B5 franchise im sad that crusade got axed after the few episodes it had :(
You've made my day, Cornflakes. :thumbup: :D I'm so pleased I'm not alone. Like you, I saw huge potential in "Crusade" but it wasn't given time to get into its stride. I also mourn the loss of "The Legend of the Rangers" which would, I'm sure, have made a good series. :angel:

There was some awesome hardware in B5 which I would love to see being modded into LT. Knowing of your interests I'm sure you appreciated the spaceships.

I love these two clips:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFvkgfBXHPA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaSmassvv4w

Victor Tombs wrote: Which brings me to:
Talvieno wrote:Adding Dune and Hitchhiker.
:eh: Only five allowed, Nathan? Which one do I axe from my choices? :P :lol:
Ah, but the whole point of this thread is to make you think: You have to decide, which ones do you enjoy the most, or have the most respect for? :) If I'd permitted everyone to choose as many as they wanted, it would quickly devolve to "Which franchises have you seen material from?" which doesn't do a very good job at all of showing how good they are in respect to each other.

After those two Babylon 5 clips, Victor, I'm starting to want to watch it myself. :)
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

*chuckle* Ohh... I know the point of it, Nathan, but it's cruel and unnecessary torture for me. :P
Talvieno wrote:After those two Babylon 5 clips, Victor, I'm starting to want to watch it myself.
I could think of much worse ways you could spend your time, my friend. I watched it when it was first televised. I collected it on VHS tapes and watched it again. And finally I bought it on DVD...and watched it yet again .. several times. Did I tell you I have a fairly extensive collection of this sort of material? ;) :D

Victor Tombs wrote: You've made my day, Cornflakes. :thumbup: :D I'm so pleased I'm not alone. Like you, I saw huge potential in "Crusade" but it wasn't given time to get into its stride. I also mourn the loss of "The Legend of the Rangers" which would, I'm sure, have made a good series. :angel:
I wasnt that excited by the rangers honestly... seemed to me like not really catching the spirit of the rest of the fanchise :shrug:
Victor Tombs wrote: There was some awesome hardware in B5 which I would love to see being modded into LT. Knowing of your interests I'm sure you appreciated the spaceships.
I absolutely love the warlock class destroyers :mrgreen:

Sadly they only got a few seconds screentime in the series.
Luckily the freespace mod remedied that :squirrel:
Spoiler:      SHOW

Cornflakes_91 wrote:I wasnt that excited by the rangers honestly... seemed to me like not really catching the spirit of the rest of the fanchise :shrug:
Well, the original was a hard act to follow, I agree. And even the original appeared rushed in places as JMS was always fighting cancellation.
Cornflakes_91 wrote:I absolutely love the warlock class destroyers :mrgreen:

Sadly they only got a few seconds screentime in the series.
Luckily the freespace mod remedied that :squirrel:
Spoiler:      SHOW
:shock: That looks awesome, Cornflakes. I haven't played the Freespace mod (only the original games). Like I said, I hope similar mods will be applied to LT as I'm still unsure how the Josh Parnell ships will turn out. I know we will be able to use the all singing all dancing editor but I'm a lazy sod nowadays and prefer to have the work done for me. :mrgreen:

Lum wrote:Very mature and good planned.
Well, it was planned from front to back, afaik they would have had plot for two or three more seasons.
I dont remember why they cut it short, though.
:(
Victor Tombs wrote:That looks awesome, Cornflakes. I haven't played the Freespace mod (only the original games).
They also had something like 10 seconds screentime in that "15 years after" movie :angel:
Victor Tombs wrote: Like I said, I hope similar mods will be applied to LT as I'm still unsure how the Josh Parnell ships will turn out. I know we will be able to use the all singing all dancing editor but I'm a lazy sod nowadays and prefer to have the work done for me. :mrgreen:
Well, i hope for ship designs and detail that blow star citizen out of the water :angel:

But i wont hold my breath for that, though.
I'd settle for something along the lines of freespace/starlancer/freelancer :angel:

Cornflakes_91 wrote:Well, i hope for ship designs and detail that blow star citizen out of the water
:wtf: I thought I was the Pollyanna type around here. You know in your heart of hearts that isn't going to happen, Cornflakes. :)
Cornflakes_91 wrote:I'd settle for something along the lines of freespace/starlancer/freelancer
I won't be disappointed if it works out like that. :thumbup: Of course I'm expecting the modding community to have a field day but I would like to play the game as Josh has envisioned it to begin with. In my strangely polite world it would seem disrespectful to him not to do so. :angel:

Edit: You tell him, Lum. He probably hasn't taken any notice of my recommendation. ;) :)

Victor Tombs wrote: :wtf: I thought I was the Pollyanna type around here. You know in your heart of hearts that isn't going to happen, Cornflakes. :)
What i hope for and what i expect are two different things, though :angel:
Victor Tombs wrote:Of course I'm expecting the modding community to have a field day but I would like to play the game as Josh has envisioned it to begin with. In my strangely polite world it would seem disrespectful to him not to do so. :angel:
disrespectful would be to rip out the ship generation code after 10 minutes of playing and replacing it, not adding some very specific pieces onto it :angel:

Cornflakes_91 wrote:disrespectful would be to rip out the ship generation code after 10 minutes of playing and replacing it, not adding some very specific pieces onto it :angel:
The last PM I received from Josh before he went silent on me gave me hope that he was really close to delivering the Freelancer 2 we had discussed in previous messages. He always said I would get my Freelancer 2 but he sounded excited about some of the progress he had made. :angel:

Unfortunately, this was just before the Dark Days began so I'm not sure which Josh I was exchanging messages with. I still have high hopes for his vision and I may not have to mod it at all, Cornflakes. I can always do what I've done with Skyrim and have a vanilla and a modded game going at the same time. :D
Last edited by Victor Tombs on Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DigitalDuck wrote:
Grumblesaur wrote:How is it cliched? Where else in cinema or literature have you seen people get hit in the face for thinking? 1984 had the Thought Police and they couldn't sprout out of the ground.

Sure, I think it might've been better if they bumbled a little more instead of having the dramatic pause followed by them all getting slapped at once, but I don't think it's a bad bit at all. It does a really good job of characterizing the Vogon social and intellectual (lack of a) landscape.
I said: "the concept is great, but the way it's executed is clichéd and it feels like it's there to add an extra two minutes to the runtime of the film."

The concept (people getting hit in the face for thinking) is great.

The way it's executed is clichéd. I mean, for a start, a similar concept was executed much better in Ghostbusters.
I don't know if I'd agree that that's "much better". I don't think I'd even say it's "comparable".
I haven't seen Ghostbusters end-to-end, and at this point, I don't really think I want to.
Shameless Self-Promotion 0/ magenta 0/ Forum Rules & Game FAQ

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Lum wrote:Very mature and good planned.
Well, it was planned from front to back, afaik they would have had plot for two or three more seasons.
I dont remember why they cut it short, though.
:(
If you look in the wikipedia entry, under Production/Writing, I think you'll find your answer.

What was awesome was the number of episodes Straczynski wrote for the series, that all of the main characters and a lot of the secondary characters had from start a back door in their stories to cope with external events (aka, the actor/actress leaving the show). It was a big feat. The strategy of writing all the main-plot episodes and then, depending of ratings and cancelation threats, using more or less standalone episodes to fill the gaps, was a fantastic idea!
I have been - and always shall be - your friend.

Online Now