Total votes: 31 (14%)
Star Wars
Total votes: 34 (15%)
Stargate
Total votes: 30 (13%)
Toilet Paper
Total votes: 13 (6%)
Total votes: 228
Re: How would you rank these space sci-fi franchises?

Dinosawer wrote:
Talvieno wrote:
Victor Tombs wrote: Anyone who has taken note of my preferences will know that the Dune franchise is top of my list. But I was given a list and asked to choose my preferences from that list. :)
Yes, Victor, I'm quite aware of that. :) Dune was excluded only because there is no TV series based on the universe (to my knowledge, anyway)... even if there really should be. :P
Well...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0142032/?ref_=nv_sr_3
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0287839/epi ... t_eps_sn_1

Okay, mini series :ghost:
Yes, they both did well in the audience ratings but you really need oodles of cash to do the books justice. :angel:
DigitalDuck wrote:Hitchhiker's Guide had a TV series too.
And it was a damn sight better than the film IMO, DigitalDuck. :thumbup:

Victor Tombs wrote:And it was a damn sight better than the film IMO, DigitalDuck. :thumbup:
Indeed it was. While I prefer the way characters are portrayed in the film (minus Zaphod, of course), mostly because it was truer to the book than the TV series, the film tried to do its own thing with the plot to make it all self-contained and it just ruined it.

The TV series was based on the radio series rather than the books, which is why it skips the entire first half of the second book.
Games I like, in order of how much I like them. (Now permanent and updated regularly!)

Victor Tombs wrote:
Eh, it was good imo. The TV series was just a word by word recitation of the book (which is a very close transcript of the radio series), not much behind it, same thing on a different medium, very stiff lipped. The movie tried something different, to be a thing on its own, and it succeeded. There are things it should not have done, especially the love thread bit, but overall, it was good. Would have pleased Bop Ad too, he saw the first half of the production and endorsed it, said he wanted something new.
DigitalDuck wrote:As far as I'm concerned, fantasy is when magic happens and it's just assumed that's how it works, sci-fi is when magic happens and there's a bullshit explanation for it. :mrgreen:
Not much difference there, telling you something is an anti-time wave with a tachyon pulse or explaining the threads of life energy tying us all together :D
panic

DigitalDuck wrote:
Victor Tombs wrote:And it was a damn sight better than the film IMO, DigitalDuck. :thumbup:
Indeed it was. While I prefer the way characters are portrayed in the film (minus Zaphod, of course), mostly because it was truer to the book than the TV series, the film tried to do its own thing with the plot to make it all self-contained and it just ruined it.
I didn't think so. Also, DA himself wrote the script :ghost:
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

Mistycica wrote:
Victor Tombs wrote:
Eh, it was good imo. The TV series was just a word by word recitation of the book (which is a very close transcript of the radio series), not much behind it, same thing on a different medium, very stiff lipped.
I'm English, I enjoy stiff lipped....especially the upper one. :P

DigitalDuck wrote:

The TV series was based on the radio series rather than the books, which is why it skips the entire first half of the second book.
The film had its shining moments.
Shameless Self-Promotion 0/ magenta 0/ Forum Rules & Game FAQ

I watched Star Trek TOS when it first came out in the 60's. About the same time was that abomination, Lost in Space, truly crap! When you list Battlestar Galactica I assume you mean the SyFy channel remake and not the 70's network version. (again, crap) And while we're listing SiFi series that didn't make the list how about Gene Roddenberry's Earth: Final Conflict. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth:_Final_Conflict
Or perhaps Space: Above and Beyond https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space:_Above_and_Beyond
Or if you want to go back before Star Trek TOS there was Fireball XL5 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fireball_XL5

I watched and enjoyed all of these shows. I'm sure if I thought long enough I could come up with more.

Victor, My favorite Doctor was the fourth played by Tom Backer followed closely by David Tennant.
Cowards die many times before their deaths, the valiant never taste of death but once. Of all the wonders that I have seen, it seem to me most strange, that men should fear, seeing that death, a necessary end, will come when it will come.

Well, now I've added Hitchhiker's Guide alongside Doctor Who.
See, that's exactly what I'm talking about. I wouldn't call that a shining moment at all - the concept is great, but the way it's executed is clichéd and it feels like it's there to add an extra two minutes to the runtime of the film.

The shining moment of the film for me was Marvin; I think they absolutely nailed him in the movie (as I said before, the characterisation in the film is excellent).
Games I like, in order of how much I like them. (Now permanent and updated regularly!)

How is it cliched? Where else in cinema or literature have you seen people get hit in the face for thinking? 1984 had the Thought Police and they couldn't sprout out of the ground.

Sure, I think it might've been better if they bumbled a little more instead of having the dramatic pause followed by them all getting slapped at once, but I don't think it's a bad bit at all. It does a really good job of characterizing the Vogon social and intellectual (lack of a) landscape.
Shameless Self-Promotion 0/ magenta 0/ Forum Rules & Game FAQ

You know full well we have many good memories of the same shows, Gunther. I have all your favourites in my collection. The only incomplete set is Gene Roddenberry's Earth: Final Conflict which contains only the first series which was by far the best. ;) :)

:think: I probably would put Tom Baker in the number one slot as Dr Who but with such a long running franchise there are a number of moments from other actors playing the time traveller which are special in my remembered experiences. I'm never very good at choosing from lists so some of these polls are a nightmare. :lol:

Which brings me to:
Talvieno wrote:Adding Dune and Hitchhiker.
:eh: Only five allowed, Nathan? Which one do I axe from my choices? :P :lol:

Edit: :shifty: It wasn't Babylon 5 that got the chop as you may have noticed. Didn't anyone else enjoy this space opera? I watched the whole five seasons with someone I loved very much who had never shown the remotest interest in science fiction. "Sleeping in Light" the final episode, still reduces me to tears. :oops:

Grumblesaur wrote:How is it cliched? Where else in cinema or literature have you seen people get hit in the face for thinking? 1984 had the Thought Police and they couldn't sprout out of the ground.

Sure, I think it might've been better if they bumbled a little more instead of having the dramatic pause followed by them all getting slapped at once, but I don't think it's a bad bit at all. It does a really good job of characterizing the Vogon social and intellectual (lack of a) landscape.
I said: "the concept is great, but the way it's executed is clichéd and it feels like it's there to add an extra two minutes to the runtime of the film."

The concept (people getting hit in the face for thinking) is great.

The way it's executed is clichéd. I mean, for a start, a similar concept was executed much better in Ghostbusters.

Online Now