Male
Total votes: 58 (84%)
Female
Total votes: 4 (6%)
Other
Total votes: 7 (10%)
Total votes: 69
Re: Male or Female?

DWMagus wrote:Had a friend in high school who was so incredibly timid and shy but wanted to be able to meet girls. Me and another friend put him up to a bet to incentivize him. Bet him $100 that he wouldn't be able to stand out on the corner of the 16th st mall (major outdoor mall here in Denver) and ask for a kiss from every girl that passed by.

Best $100 ever spent. He got slapped a few times (some of which were downright hilarious), but he did get a few kisses, and one hot chick that ended up making out with him for the sheer novelty of it. He never had issues with talking to the fairer sex, nor speaking in public, and ended up becoming quite charming (IMO).

Yeah, it's not the same thing as asking "hey, what in yo pants", but I think it works as a decent anecdote. :P
I do a similar thing when trying to encourage people to talk to girls:

"Whoever gets the fewest rejections has to pay for the drinks. Oh, and I'm asking everyone for their number. Good luck."

It's amazing how quickly people forget about trivial stuff like that when there's money on the line. :mrgreen:
Games I like, in order of how much I like them. (Now permanent and updated regularly!)

DigitalDuck wrote: "Whoever gets the fewest rejections has to pay for the drinks. Oh, and I'm asking everyone for their number. Good luck."

It's amazing how quickly people forget about trivial stuff like that when there's money on the line. :mrgreen:
Would it not be more efficient to ask no one? That way you get zero rejections.
There is no "I" in Tea. That would be gross.

Sex is physiological, and is generally limited to male, female, and intersex. Intersex folks may take on hermaphroditic qualities or have ambiguous features, including ambiguous genitalia.

Gender is mental and cultural, and is a lot more varied. What is considered masculine and what is considered feminine varies depending on where you are in the world and whom you ask. Gender is something of a measure of how much people identify with their culture's ideas of masculinity and/or femininity.

Some folks feel aligned very strongly to just one of those things. Some folks feel aligned strongly to both. Some folks aren't really given to either one. For a handful of people, it changes based on their mood or varies over time.

So from there you have male and female, bigender, agender, and genderfluid. There are loads of others. To a lot of people they sound contrived or utterly fictitious, but for the people who use the terms, that's the best they can come up with to express how they feel they fit in the world.

Then between these two classes of human identification, we have categories of cisgender and transgender.

Ultimately, most cultures ideas of sex and gender are intertwined. When an individual's sex "matches" the cultural ideas of gender that "go with" it, they are cisgender. When an individual's sex is "mismatched" with respect to the same ideas, they are transgender.

Notions of cisgender vs. transgender are useful for describing and relating issues of gender dysphoria that stem from an individual identifying strongly with one gender but frequently being mistaken for another, usually due to their physical appearance (which is a phenomenon that stems from notions of sex and gender being conflated by many, since the two words have referred to the same idea, or have been used interchangeably, for a long time).

As for the public restroom question that has popped up, many folks in this situation want to use the restroom corresponding to what they want to be seen as. Grumpy and bigoted social conservatives would have you believe it's a ploy to spy on people in restrooms, which is enormously cissexist and discriminatory.

Many socially progressive institutions (for example, some universities) are installing unisex restrooms which have more than one toilet. Ultimately, the only useful distinction between restrooms is whether or not they contain urinals. I believe some countries like France have no sex or gender distinction for many (if not all) of their restrooms.
Shameless Self-Promotion 0/ magenta 0/ Forum Rules & Game FAQ

Mistycica wrote:
BFett wrote:Okay, I don't understand that way of thinking nor have I talked to anyone who feels that way. I respect their thoughts even though I may not agree or understand the conclusion.

It is very foreign to me and that is why I have asked questions. I hope I haven't upset anyone.
Very few people make an effort at all to consider the concept, even after an explanation. You're awesome :3

But yeah, basically what Duck said: sex =! gender. Humans love their little labels and boxes, but some just don't feel like they are able to fit into the two narrow descriptions defined. It's like saying 'you are either Republican or a Democrat, no middle ground', and I'm like, uhh, I don't even understand either, let alone being one. Just let me enthuse over tanks and paint my nails alright :D
Have you tried enthusing over painted tanks? :ghost:
Image The results of logic, of natural progression? Boring! An expected result? Dull! An obvious next step? Pfui! Where is the fun in that? A dream may soothe, but our nightmares make us run!

Mistycica wrote:
Idunno wrote: Have you tried enthusing over painted tanks? :ghost:
I did.
How'd it go? :ghost:
Image The results of logic, of natural progression? Boring! An expected result? Dull! An obvious next step? Pfui! Where is the fun in that? A dream may soothe, but our nightmares make us run!

Online Now