Well-lit
Total votes: 22 (27%)
Cast in shadow
Total votes: 12 (15%)
Total votes: 81
Re: The Dress is OBVIOUSLY...

Dinosawer wrote:My brain thinks as follows:
Bright light at the edges: object lit from behind and front thus in shadows
+ bright light in image: camera lowers sensitivity and things thus appear darker than they are
-> white and gold

I know it's wrong but I can't see it any differently :ghost:
same here. i just can't get my brain to filter out the white balance effects

I think the "missing cones" explanation seems unlikely. Some people have reported seeing first one color combo, then the other. If they saw white and gold because they were physically unable to see black and blue, that sort of thing wouldn't happen.

I asked about the lighting as well to see if there was a correlation there....and there is! It would seem that the white/gold folks perceive the dress as being poorly lit, while the black/blue people perceive it as brightly lit. This is important from a color theory point of view.. When objects are in the shadows, they assume a more bluish hue.

In other words, if you think the dress is shadowed, you think it is white and gold. If not, you think it is black and blue.
Limit Theory IRC

Dinosawer wrote:My brain thinks as follows:
Bright light at the edges: object lit from behind and front thus in shadows
+ bright light in image: camera lowers sensitivity and things thus appear darker than they are
-> white and gold

I know it's wrong but I can't see it any differently :ghost:
Yeah, my thinking is the opposite:
1. The room is brightly lit, probably from overhead lights, which distribute light more or less evenly
2. The dress is not being held in a way that would shield it from overhead light.
3. Therefore the dress is not in shadow.
4. = brightly lit blue and black.
Limit Theory IRC

BFett wrote:Doesn't diffuse reflection apply to all colors other than black because black absorbs all light?
As I said,
Dinosawer wrote:there's no such thing as pure black (for clothing, that is)
Black is really just very dark grey or blue or something like that, otherwise you wouldn't be able to see any shading on black stuff.
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

The Dress is OBVIOUSLY...

...far too modest and conservative, and without delicious contents. Seriously, this is about as fun as looking at sausage peels when we all know that it's the actual sausage that matters.

-Hardenberg
Hardenberg was my name
And Terra was my nation
Deep space is my dwelling place
The stars my destination

Online Now