Gold and white
Total votes: 22 (27%)
Well-lit
Total votes: 22 (27%)
Cast in shadow
Total votes: 12 (15%)
Total votes: 81
Re: The Dress is OBVIOUSLY...

SacmanXman2 wrote:When I first saw it it was white and gold, then I looked later and since then it's been black and blue. I can't see it as white and gold anymore. My sister was the same way (maybe it's genetic?)
Could you do me a favor and use MS Paint or another program and show me where you see the black?

It has been many days, and each day I look at it I only see White and Gold, though I might be able to be convinced of a Light Blue and Gold if someone can prove it with a homemade picture.

BFett wrote:Could you do me a favor and use MS Paint or another program and show me where you see the black?
You've already replied to a post which showed this:
Image White balancing.

Looking at the background in the original picture should show that there's a strong yellow light in the scene. That's why the black appears gold, and the blue appears... well, less blue.
Games I like, in order of how much I like them. (Now permanent and updated regularly!)

DigitalDuck wrote:
BFett wrote:Could you do me a favor and use MS Paint or another program and show me where you see the black?
You've already replied to a post which showed this:
Image White balancing.

Looking at the background in the original picture should show that there's a strong yellow light in the scene. That's why the black appears gold, and the blue appears... well, less blue.
Thanks for the response DigitalDuck, Unfortunately I don't see where I replied to a post that showed that picture. Even with the darkest filter I still see the yellow in the upper part of the dress. The problem I personally have is that I don't understand how someone could look at what appears to be a gold and white poorly lit dress and think it is well lit and blue and black. Also, your response about the color change makes sense, but isn't the question about what you "see" in the picture, not what you think some lighting effect is producing?

Maybe I have issues seeing things, I don't know, I know I'm not color blind.

BFett wrote:Thanks for the response DigitalDuck, Unfortunately I don't see where I replied to a post that showed that picture.
BFett wrote:Even with the darkest filter I still see the yellow in the upper part of the dress.
Of course you still see yellow in the dress. There's a yellow light.
BFett wrote:The problem I personally have is that I don't understand how someone could look at what appears to be a gold and white poorly lit dress and think it is well lit and blue and black. Also, your response about the color change makes sense, but isn't the question about what you "see" in the picture, not what you think some lighting effect is producing?
Well, yeah. The lighting effect is producing a light blue and olive pattern because it's a strong yellow light. Your brain adjusts for the light and tells you what colour the object actually is.

At least, it should. Those of us who see it as a well lit blue and black dress have working brains. :mrgreen:

I understand the comparisons to the Monty Hall problem now. Perhaps we should argue back and forth about that instead.
Games I like, in order of how much I like them. (Now permanent and updated regularly!)

Well, the Monty Hall problem has an answer which is independent of perception and is easily testable, it's just unintuitive, while the dress colour problem seems to be independently unsolvable without external information (e.g. Without knowledge of the dress itself)

Monty Hall is much more interesting though :P imho at least

Saw this a couple of weeks back and didn't know what it was about. This is a picture that the comic, The Oatmeal, posted on Facebook and about sums it up. Please, if you are offended by strong language or insults about your looks, please do not look. Besides that, you have been warned.
Spoiler:      SHOW
Image "Everyone needs to have their avatar's edited to have afros." -Charley Deallus

Online Now