Return to “Polls”

Do you like the green health bar displayed in RTB #1? (comment below as to why)

Yes, keep it in
Total votes: 49 (74%)
Yes, but something needs changed
Total votes: 13 (20%)
No, but just change it a little
Total votes: 3 (5%)
No, get rid of it
Total votes: 1 (2%)
Total votes: 66
Re: Green Health Bar: Keep or Toss?

Gazz wrote:
Cha0zz wrote:Yeah and if it's just a second type of health, add it to hull.
Ship hull has some hit points depending on size, add extra HP due to armor. More armor simply costs more mass / structure points / whatever.
One could complexify this but... simple also works. =)
If that's how it works, there's really no reason not to contain the armor and hull in a single bar.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Yeh, like I outlined above. In that case it would be more useful to give shields / generators a bit more detail.

X3 has shields with different recharge speeds and capacities and they do reload individually. Alas, the differences are not very noticeable so it doesn't ever make sense to install a smaller shield.
Failed to utilise a fully implemented and working way to add some depth...
There is no "I" in Tea. That would be gross.

Imma customise the green health bar to be the same colour as everything else. In fact, I kind of hope that even the control systems will be customizeable - I would love to consider my ship a complex machine that has to be manipulated into doing what I want it to.

I love my flight simulators though, and I know I'm probably alone or at least part of a minority in wanting a ship whose control paradigms change noticeably at different operation modes. Modssssss and also off topic.

I have come to detest that health bar and its greenness.

Flatfingers wrote:It's fine to me as it is, BUT I like the idea of balancing it on the other side with some other piece of dynamic ship information.
I kind of like the idea of an asymmetrical HUD.
"Playing" is not simply a pastime, it is the primordial basis of imagination and creation. - Hideo Kojima

Etsu wrote:
Flatfingers wrote:It's fine to me as it is, BUT I like the idea of balancing it on the other side with some other piece of dynamic ship information.
I kind of like the idea of an asymmetrical HUD.
Sure. I could argue that there are cultures that would display information asymmetrically, and of course there's always plain old personal taste.

To the "what to display" question, I agree with armor == hull == "health" for a simple ship like a fighter. So shields on one side of the aiming reticle and armor (health) works for me for the default or combat HUD.

For a larger ship, though, such as a capital ship, in addition to shields and armor around the reticle, I'd still want to see other key ship systems to really understand the status of my ship's capabilities. Maybe we'll see Josh's HUD for bigger ships soon. ;)

I see no reason why there can't/won't be both.

If you look at the first image from Josh's RTB #1, down at the bottom there's a hexagonal lattice display of individual ship's systems, as well as a schematic display of systems to which power can be allocated. Either of those might display specific ship systems in different colors to represent damage taken.

As a matter of gameplay design simplicity (or Freelancer recreation?), Josh might say that you can take 100% damage to all individual ship subsystems and still be alive... but if your hull (whether basic or armored) is <= 0, *boom* goes your ship.

It's a little game-y, but not unconventional for a game, as opposed to something that wants to be a ship control simulator. I actually wouldn't mind playing the latter kind of thing, but my impression is that that's not where Josh prefers to go with ships in LT.

If that's true, then the "green health bar" makes some sense as a representation of your ship's hull integrity. It's not nearly as silly as a green bar on a HUD to represent a person's health in a fantasy combat game.

Online Now