Return to “Polls”

Do you like the green health bar displayed in RTB #1? (comment below as to why)

Yes, keep it in
Total votes: 49 (74%)
Yes, but something needs changed
Total votes: 13 (20%)
No, but just change it a little
Total votes: 3 (5%)
No, get rid of it
Total votes: 1 (2%)
Total votes: 66
Re: Green Health Bar: Keep or Toss?

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Safe-r wrote: - Enemy health seen as red (with shields being blue).
Whichs enemies?

You can target multiple ships at once, which one is displayed by the reticule?
I basically mean "any ship actively engaged in combat with me". Health of neutral (not engaged) ships could be white. We need something easy to let us tell that ship is aggressive towards us or not. Perhaps change colors basing it on threshold of weapons' systems set online?

Safe-r wrote: I basically mean "any ship actively engaged in combat with me". Health of neutral (not engaged) ships could be white. We need something easy to let us tell that ship is aggressive towards us or not. Perhaps change colors basing it on threshold of weapons' systems set online?
which definite ship?

you can be engaged with arbitary amounts of ships, and you dont have arbitary amount of space next to your reticule.

What are we seeing in the current picture? Speed ( * ) Boot capacitor ) Health bar

I could do without a speed bar and just have the throttle percentage and speed displayed next to the cross-hair. I'd move the Boot capacitor to the left side and have the shield bar to the right of the health bar.

Boot capacitor ( throttle : * ) Health ) Shields

(Personally not a big fan of the boot capacitor but I guess it is an optional item that doesn't come stock on all ships)

I really like the idea of putting a shield health bar on the other side, as well as changing the color of the health bar depending on the percent remaining.

100%: green
67%: yellow
33%: red
0%: well, you're dead, so.

But, a question. How is armor justified? I feel like I'm missing something.
Spoiler:      SHOW
No matter how you look at it, armor technically equals hull. Shields != hull: shields recharge, while hull takes permanent damage - armor mitigates that but doesn't recharge, making there be no "flee from battle to recharge armor" tactics. For example, let's look at this fighter:

FIGHTER
- SHIELDS: 50 P
- ARMOR: 50 P
- HULL: 50 P

If 50 P of armor equals a 50% reduction in damage, then it will take:
- 50 points of damage to destroy the shields
- 100 points of damage to destroy the hull, as the armor repels/absorbs half the damage.
In other words, the fighter might as well be this:

FIGHTER
- SHIELDS: 50 P
- HULL: 100 P

Or, 15 shots with ten points of damage each.

This time let's pretend that armor can be whittled away slowly over time - let's pretend that armor takes 50% of the damage it receives regardless of how strong it is, and the percentage of armor left determines how little damage the hull takes. We'll use the same fighter as in example 1: 50 P in each shields, hull, armor.

The shields take five shots @10P to destroy. After that:

Code: Select all

ARMOR: 50 > 45 > 40.0 > 35.0 > 30.0 > 25.0 > 20.0 > 15.0 > 10
HULL:  50 > 45 > 38.5 > 32.5 > 26.0 > 19.0 > 11.5 > 3.50 > 0 (or, -5.0)
That's eight shots @10P each, giving the fighter a rough equivalent of:

FIGHTER
- SHIELDS: 50
- HULL: 80

That means the ship was destroyed faster with armor than it would've been if it just spent money on extra hull, so unless your ship is absolutely packed with armor, why buy armor to begin with?

If we assume armor is just an additional layer of protection before your ship's systems start failing, then you have something with a little gameplay value, but still not much; the fighter still basically has 100 P of hull - the systems just start failing after you hit half-health.

If we assume that armor is weaker to a different damage type than shields, and hull is weak to everything, then things get very slightly more interesting, but hardly so as - why would you want to destroy just shields, or just armor? At best you're wasting an approximate equivalent on one as you're gaining on the other - it's still 15 shots.

The only way armor works well in gameplay (enough to justify its existence) is if armor subtracts from the amount of damage your weapons do; in other words, you can only deal damage to a ship's hull if you have, bare minimum, 50P of damage with each weapon shot. Unfortunately, this means that smaller ships will be utterly incapable of dealing any damage to you at all, which makes armor very, very OP:

FIGHTER
- SHIELDS: 50
- HULL: <infinite>

HOWEVER... if we additionally assume that armor is chipped away by 50% of incoming weapon fire, then that hull can suddenly be attacked:

Code: Select all

ARMOR: 50 > 45 > 40 > 35 > 30 > 25 > 20 > 15 > 10 >  5 > 0
HULL:  50 > 50 > 50 > 50 > 50 > 50 > 50 > 50 > 50 > 50 > 45 > 35 > 25 > 15 > 5 > 0
Although that's still the equivalent of a 150 P hull, you have a tiny bit of added gameplay value there - much like the shields, your hull doesn't take damage until the armor is damaged enough... but that still makes it feel very unbalanced and overpowered because the best strategy is to dump as much cash into armor as possible - and it doesn't even add much to the game. It's just an additional layer of non-recharging shields.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Armor depends on mechanic - if this is done as damage mitigation then armor shouldn't be taken into consideration as health, if armor equals hull then hull's HUD should suffice and there is no reason to add "armor HUD bar", if armor is another "shield", then we need three separate bars: one for armor, one for shield and one for health [and in darkness of space bind them]. Or we could do this like in Dragon Age: Inqusition: yiou have health, health is "covered" under armor bar and armor bar lies under shield bar until shield is gone (either time passes or it took too much damage).

If "armor" is just a 2nd type of shield you may as well toss it into a general shield pool, maybe having multiple generators with varying capacities and reload speeds.
Like a low capacity generator with high recharge speed (to shrug off counter fighter weaponry) and a high capacity and slow recharging one to protect against some bigger hits.
There is no "I" in Tea. That would be gross.

Gazz wrote:If "armor" is just a 2nd type of shield you may as well toss it into a general shield pool, maybe having multiple generators with varying capacities and reload speeds.
Like a low capacity generator with high recharge speed (to shrug off counter fighter weaponry) and a high capacity and slow recharging one to protect against some bigger hits.
Yeah and if it's just a second type of health, add it to hull.
LT Wiki | IRC | REKT Wiki
Idiots. Idiots everywhere. ~Dr. Cha0zz

Cha0zz wrote:Yeah and if it's just a second type of health, add it to hull.
Ship hull has some hit points depending on size, add extra HP due to armor. More armor simply costs more mass / structure points / whatever.
One could complexify this but... simple also works. =)
There is no "I" in Tea. That would be gross.

Online Now