Return to “Polls”

What do YOU want to see the fleet management UI look like?

I want it like Homeworld.
Total votes: 14 (5%)
I DON'T want it like Homeworld.
(No votes)
I want complete control over EVERYTHING at all times.
Total votes: 6 (2%)
I want to be able to have complete control, but I want most of it hidden unless I really need it.
Total votes: 38 (14%)
I want to be able to issue a very broad command, and be able to rely on the AI to execute it the way I envision with minimal management on my part.
Total votes: 43 (16%)
I want to be able to manage my orientation so I can pull an Ender's Game in game (No designated ecliptic).
Total votes: 24 (9%)
I don't want to be lost and disoriented in space while playing, and would prefer to not have to take medicine in order to play without getting sick all over my keyboard (Designated ecliptic).
Total votes: 7 (3%)
I want to be able to pause time indefinitely to issue commands.
I want to have some control over time, but I want it to be a limited resource to be used wisely in battle.
Total votes: 9 (3%)
This is real time, right? (No time control)
Total votes: 21 (8%)
I want to enter a separate UI for Fleet Command Utility.
Total votes: 21 (8%)
I want to be able to order people around, no matter what view I am in.
I really am looking forward to playing LT like an RTS.
Total votes: 25 (9%)
RTS's are dumb, and I could care less about elements of them in LT.
Total votes: 5 (2%)
I may use Fleet Command stuff, but it wouldn't make or break my experience.
Total votes: 11 (4%)
Total votes: 272
Fleet command, do you read?

As LT hurtles onward in it's path to glory, what would YOU like the RTS UI to resemble? Do you want a Homeworld-esque system? Or some sort of 3D Total Annihilation? (Whatever that would look like...) Do you want to be constrained to an ecliptic, or be able to orient yourself any way you well please? What kind of control do you want? How do you want to issue commands? Do you want to be able to manage everything down to the targeting systems on a forward scout's point defense cannon, or would you rather issue a broad command, and have the AI execute it for you? How much control over time do you want for issue commands in the heat of battle?

As I for one am totally psyched about fleet management (I want to be able to play a procedurally generated Homeworld, dammit :ghost: ) I was curious to know how other people prefer their 3D space RTS interfaces, and how they feel about RTS elements in LT in general.
Libertas per Technica
Re: Fleet command, do you read?

Ah, I see what you mean. They are not exclusive to themselves. Those three question in particular include the others below it in that three question section (I would have included lines to sort of divide up the sections, but I couldn't find a way to do that, and each section of questions seems relatively clear to me). If you want to control everything at all times, you would be able to, and the AI still can take broad statements and do it itself. Those were more playstyle questions. If you never wanted to see anything other than an option to tell the AI what you wanted to happen, I wanted an option that specified that, and only that. If you were to chose that option(Only able to issue broad commands), you would be indicating you ONLY want to have broad commands, as you would never have actually used any of the specific ones, whereas having complete control also means you can have control over how much control the AI's have. Catch my drift? :mrgreen: I tried to make each poll question on a scale of "depth" so there was a clear extreme, middle, and conservative option, so that there wasn't much ambiguity, but I suppose I need to work on my poll development skillz. :? I am surprised to see a large number of people wanting complete control... I thought I was alone on that front. :roll: :lol:
Libertas per Technica

so, as i still cant click all the 8 things i want i just say what i clicked and what i want in addition to that :lol:

I want it like Homeworld.

I want complete control over EVERYTHING at all times.

I want to be able to issue a very broad command, and be able to rely on the AI to execute it the way I envision with minimal management on my part.

I want to be able to pause time indefinitely to issue commands.

I want to be able to order people around, no matter what view I am in.

I really am looking forward to playing LT like an RTS.

+the 2 things about ecliptic i wasnt able to click

I want to be able to manage my orientation so I can pull an Ender's Game in game (No designated ecliptic).

I don't want to be lost and disoriented in space while playing, and would prefer to not have to take medicine in order to play without getting sick all over my keyboard (Designated ecliptic).

because i want to be able to rotate my ships as i want, but a designated ecliptic is useful as solar systems are roughly aligned along them.
(and it worked quite well in Nexus: the jupiter incident without ecliptic, but there you didnt really use absolute move commands >.>)

Talvieno wrote:Problem - I've never played Homeworld or watched Ender's Game.
Enders game important point

note for mods: this is not intended as warez promotion, i just couldnt find any YT clip which contained the important scenes where you can see about the no ecliptic stuff that graf ment
send me a message or just remove it when you dont want it here

talv: homeworld 2 had a very easy sheme to control ships in full 3d space.

the basic was an ecliptic plane, on which you could command your units like in any RTS, with an addition
while holding a key (shift or alt, dont remember) you could also choose the height of the target point with your mouse.
using the 2d mouse for 3d inputs without any necessary rotations.

very easy and intuitive.

Online Now