Return to “Polls”

Which musical instrument do you play?

None, I am a musical layman
Total votes: 20 (11%)
Singing
Total votes: 24 (13%)
Woodwind (flute, saxophone, bagpipes, recorder, etc)
Total votes: 11 (6%)
Brasswind (trumpet, horn, etc)
Total votes: 9 (5%)
Bowed Strings (violin, cello, contrabass, etc)
Total votes: 9 (5%)
Plucked Strings (Guitar, banjo, etc)
Total votes: 38 (21%)
Keyboard instruments (Piano, organ, etc)
Total votes: 39 (22%)
Reed instruments (Accordeon, harmonica, etc)
Total votes: 3 (2%)
Percussion
Total votes: 18 (10%)
Something weird (tell us!)
Total votes: 8 (4%)
Total votes: 179
Re: Musical instruments

Dinosawer wrote:I meant that by putting it directly on the keyboard you record all the clicketyclack key sounds. Putting it on top of the piano sounds be better.
It's not actually on the keyboard - it's on the wooden bit next to it (where the switch is). The main problem is that I have the volume low because the phone's mic is crap and any louder and you'd hear clipping. I figured it was the lesser of two evils.
Games I like, in order of how much I like them. (Now permanent and updated regularly!)

I play the Clarinet and the Supernova, a computer-synthesis sounding spherical instrument of my own design. It's like, a ball, and it senses where my hand and fingers are, and plays notes accordingly from a speaker. I'm working on it, but its sounds okay*ish* so far. (okay, it sounds really bad.) Well, it would if I hadn't broken it by dropping it. ( :cry: :thumbdown: ) The next model will not be so breakable, but it'll take a while to make again. I yi yi.

Edit: The Supernova is not ready to be shown to anyone via recording! (I have one or two.) I might, if I get around to it, put in a recording of my clarinet, however, in a future post.
Destruction is never precise, Creation is a thought, Time is an illusion, and Chaos and Order are one and the same.

Seryth Nortra wrote:I play the Clarinet and the Supernova, a computer-synthesis sounding spherical instrument of my own design. It's like, a ball, and it senses where my hand and fingers are, and plays notes accordingly from a speaker. I'm working on it, but its sounds okay*ish* so far. (okay, it sounds really bad.) Well, it would if I hadn't broken it by dropping it. ( :cry: :thumbdown: ) The next model will not be so breakable, but it'll take a while to make again.
I'll be interested in seeing this when v2.0 is constructed.

Meanwhile, I have been wanting one of these puppies for years:
Image This is an Eigenharp, and it is a Real Thing.

Here are a couple of examples of what it can do. This one and this one are fun, too.

It connects to a computer to download instruments, but control messages can be passed in the other direction:
Spoiler:      SHOW
Finally, it is possible that I've actually been wanting this since 1977:

That's really cool Flat! :) But looking at the price I can see why you haven't gotten one yet :ghost:

If it comes to "instrument I would get if I had inifinte moneys", I have a couple too:

The Irish bagpipes, upon wchich you can play melody and chords at the same time and still have your mouth left to sing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dq3m_R3Lnu4

The melodica:
https://youtu.be/pTWf122wHkw

A midi guitar (I think this would be really handy for composing since I can't play the synthesizer):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADXrUZmggIY

The Harp Guitar (dat sound):
https://youtu.be/q5SkLq1fP1s
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

DigitalDuck wrote:I could show off my piano skills, but there's a much better instrument I can play too.
Actual musical bit: everything else bar the drums is live-played on a keyboard in two passes. Also might make a proper music-related video when I'm at home "all by myself".
Talking about this in IRC. Still brings tears to my eyes every time I listen to it.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Online Now