Return to “Polls”

Which musical instrument do you play?

None, I am a musical layman
Total votes: 20 (11%)
Singing
Total votes: 24 (13%)
Woodwind (flute, saxophone, bagpipes, recorder, etc)
Total votes: 11 (6%)
Brasswind (trumpet, horn, etc)
Total votes: 9 (5%)
Bowed Strings (violin, cello, contrabass, etc)
Total votes: 9 (5%)
Plucked Strings (Guitar, banjo, etc)
Total votes: 38 (21%)
Keyboard instruments (Piano, organ, etc)
Total votes: 39 (22%)
Reed instruments (Accordeon, harmonica, etc)
Total votes: 3 (2%)
Percussion
Total votes: 18 (10%)
Something weird (tell us!)
Total votes: 8 (4%)
Total votes: 179
Re: Musical instruments

Scytale wrote:Violinist here~ I think that it's always a wise idea for parents to have their kids get music lessons of some kind, if it's economically viable for them! Have some experience with piano but it's kind of a minor (haha) secondary.
I agree :) Luckily we have subsided music schools were music lessons are very affordable for children (around €60 per year for the lessons, price of the instrument and the such not included) :)
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

Piano, turntables, trumpet, synthesizer, and drums (That's in order of skillfulness).

I've played piano since I was little, and I'm very good at teaching myself songs and learning by ear (as well as making my own songs).

I learned the turntables at a place called Dub Academy, where I also learned to DJ in general.

I played trumpet for the school band in my middle school, and got pretty good at it.

I have a synthesizer I like to experiment with; my dad plays the drums and sometimes we play together.

My dad taught me some drums, and I taught myself from there.

I'm sort of a natural when it comes to music (at least the instruments I've tried :lol: ).

When I was 8 to 11 years old, I was part of a children's choir at a fairly large church (1,500 in weekend attendance, I think?), and after that, the adult choir, where I eventually moved from tenor to bass. I had a lot of solos - the one I remember best was during a live Christmas production (I can't remember which year, unfortunately, but I'm fairly sure it was 2003, as part of the adult choir). (I'm not very religious, by the way.)

Apart from that, I can play the acoustic guitar... but not well enough that I want to show anyone. :P I can play melodies very easily, but I still need to learn chords.

Sebby - You're a DJ? Epic. :D That was something I used to want to do.
Fronkonsteen - impressed at the degree in composition. Very cool! :thumbup:
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Talvieno wrote:I had a lot of solos
Still doing singing in any form? A good voice is to be heard...
Talvieno wrote: Apart from that, I can play the acoustic guitar... but not well enough that I want to show anyone. :P I can play melodies very easily, but I still need to learn chords.
Not knowing your level of proficiency, but there's a lot of tutorials on Youtube. This guy is comprehensible and easy to follow.

Fronkonsteen wrote:
Talvieno wrote:I had a lot of solos
Still doing singing in any form? A good voice is to be heard...
No, no singing whatsoever, unfortunately... A young male singer is something of a novelty, apparently, and when my voice started changing they took me out of solo work altogether, which was a sore blow to my confidence. Perhaps they planned to put me back into it once my voice had settled down, but that never happened - my parents got a divorce, my mom got full custody, and we stopped going to church. As a result, I never became fully comfortable with being a baritone, and never had a chance to get my confidence back. Now I really only sing if nobody can hear me. :P
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Talvieno wrote: No, no singing whatsoever, unfortunately... A young male singer is something of a novelty, apparently, and when my voice started changing they took me out of solo work altogether, which was a sore blow to my confidence. Perhaps they planned to put me back into it once my voice had settled down, but that never happened - my parents got a divorce, my mom got full custody, and we stopped going to church. As a result, I never became fully comfortable with being a baritone, and never had a chance to get my confidence back. Now I really only sing if nobody can hear me. :P
Hmm, that's a shame. Let's try to build some of that confidence again. You know you've still got that music inside - it's just the instrument that changed. Why not go for some guitar chord practise and perhaps add some singing to it somwhere along the way. Also: The ladies really appreciate such talents too, you know ;)

Online Now