Return to “Polls”

At five years old, where were you in your family?

A: Only child of your gender within five years both ways (overrides B and C)
Total votes: 18 (28%)
B: Oldest of your gender (overrides D)
Total votes: 24 (37%)
C: Youngest of your gender (overrides D)
Total votes: 15 (23%)
D: Middle child
Total votes: 8 (12%)
Total votes: 65
Re: Birth Order

Talvieno wrote:Both parents. Just where you were when you were five, taking account all the siblings that were living with you most of the time. For you, I'd say the oldest. The five-year thing is because past that, our siblings don't have much role in shaping our personalities.
In that case:
First: perfectionist, reliable, conscientious, a list maker, well organized, hard driving, a natural leader, critical, serious, scholarly, logical, doesn’t like surprises, a techie
... I'm not well organised or a natural leader, but other than that it sounds exactly like me. :mrgreen:
Games I like, in order of how much I like them. (Now permanent and updated regularly!)

Talvieno wrote:Can't say I'm surprised about the engineering career - eldests like us tend to enjoy careers that are either very exacting or put us in a leadership role. Doesn't mean we're going to be good at it, though. :P

Interestingly, eldests have an odd split right down the middle - they're usually either ambitious or rebellious, and few are a mix. I was the ambitious sort - being rebellious never even occurred to me.
Well, I was lulled into the sense that I'm smart enough for it, and kinda got railroaded in there. Much, much regret, wow. No way out either :? Gotta bite that bullet and do something with myself.

I never really was the terrible sitcom rebellious type. I was always nice and reasonable, then suddenly I didn't rebel, just developed an absolutely different set of ideals and morals and my path diverged from what was expected. Had one giant falloff with my mother, moved out ASAP, now we are sorta good. Dominant personalities with strict ideas about life don't sit well with each other for more than a week I guess ;)
panic

First: perfectionist (true), reliable (true), conscientious (no), a list maker (hahahaha no), well organized (pls stop my stomach hurts), hard driving (true), a natural leader (never tried that o.O), critical (y), serious (y), scholarly (nope), logical (y), doesn’t like surprises (big y), a techie (y)

also im lazy as fuc* xD
More people want exploding kittens than exploding ships. Somehow, this makes me happy.
- credits go to dwmagus

perfectionist (true), reliable (i'd like to be :( ), conscientious (at times :lol: ), a list maker (hahahaha no), well organized (pls stop my stomach hurts), hard driving (true), a natural leader (kinda nope, cant delegate), critical (y), serious (y), scholarly (nope), logical (y), doesn’t like surprises (big y), a techie (y)

*shamelessly copies gheckos list*
HappyGhecko wrote: also im lazy as fuc* xD
its not lazyness, its delegation!

*leadership*

:lol:

Er, I had between 0 and 3 sisters in my life depending on custody situations as I was growing up. Sometimes I was the oldest, sometimes the youngest, sometimes I was in the middle. As it stands now, I am not really close to any of them, but not on bad terms either. We all grew up in Denver, but now the 4 of us each live in different states, one in Colorado, one in Texas, one in Oregon, and me in Connecticut.
Challenging your assumptions is good for your health, good for your business, and good for your future. Stay skeptical but never undervalue the importance of a new and unfamiliar perspective.
Imagination Fertilizer
Beauty may not save the world, but it's the only thing that can

Oldest brother - Studied Communications, Life Insurance salesperson. Very outgoing, hardworking. Married to an accountant. Two daughters :3
2nd Oldest Brother - Studied theater, black belt in karate and master of European sword fighting and can grow a beard instantly by holding his breath. Unmarried so far.
3rd Oldest Brother - Doctor of Physical Therapy, straight-A student, bit ornery ;) married a doctor of occupational therapy. Probably richer than Obama by now.
Me - Degree in psychology, write on the side, working in business as a supervisor.
The cat(Boy) - Went to military school for guerilla warfare. A master of keeping our laps warm. Ninja on the side.
The other cat(girl) - Didn't study anything. Practices lying on furniture in comical positions. Sleeps. Life's goal is to be the next Hindenburg blimp.
Image "Everyone needs to have their avatar's edited to have afros." -Charley Deallus

Cornflakes_91 wrote:perfectionist (true), reliable (i'd like to be :( ), conscientious (at times :lol: ), a list maker (hahahaha no), well organized (pls stop my stomach hurts), hard driving (true), a natural leader (kinda nope, cant delegate), critical (y), serious (y), scholarly (nope), logical (y), doesn’t like surprises (big y), a techie (y)

*shamelessly copies gheckos list*
HappyGhecko wrote: also im lazy as fuc* xD
its not lazyness, its delegation!

*leadership*

:lol:
Brother! :lol:

(i forgot our dog(male): crazy loayal (only for my mum), master of not annoying begging, likes football, good mimic, a strong hatred towards caps)
More people want exploding kittens than exploding ships. Somehow, this makes me happy.
- credits go to dwmagus

DigitalDuck wrote:
clayjohn wrote:There's no option for twins! :-o Buuuuut if you include twins we should also include triplets, quadruplets... and so on. :think:
Twins still have an oldest and a youngest; triplets etc. still have birth order too.
Identical twins are generally taken out of the womb in a surgery so they come out at the same time. (Me and my brother were which is why I asked in the first place)

Actually, from what I've read, it applies to all ages - twins usually know who is older, even if by a minute. If it doesn't apply, and they're somehow removed at the exact same instant... I don't have a clue how it works. :P I'm no expert. I'd expect an astronomical amount of sibling rivalry, though.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

The results of this poll are rather interesting. If we assume an even spread of people from a family with 1 to 3 of the same gender, it would look like:

X (only)
X _ (first)
_ X (last)
X _ _ (first)
_ X _ (middle)
_ _ X (last)

Where the results are at:

Only: 17%
Oldest: 33%
Middle: 17%
Youngest: 33%

Of course, that's almost entirely arbitrary, and far from accurate, but it gives us something to work with. Considering the results of the poll are:

Only: 29% (+12%)
Oldest: 38% (+5%)
Middle: 15% (-2%)
Youngest: 19% (-14%)

That's a ways off - particularly with the fact that youngests and oldests occur in equal amounts by definition, and we have almost twice as many oldests as we do youngests. This fits rather well with the fact that most of the people here are INTPs - people with an Oldest/Only mindset. :) Gentlemen, pseudoscience has been done.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Online Now