Return to “Polls”

What should be LT's post release forum policy regarding new users?

Nothing should change-- forums remain completely open to everyone
Total votes: 43 (74%)
New users start in a 'newbie' forum, if they don't cause trouble they're allowed in
(No votes)
There should be a 'Legacy Thread' (only users who registered before release allowed)
Total votes: 11 (19%)
The forum now should be locked to new users; a new forum will be made for them
(No votes)
Option 2 and 3
Total votes: 4 (7%)
Total votes: 58
Re: Forum Policy After Release

HappyGhecko wrote:pardon, i dont get the iron fish reverence. Is there a story?
I miss-typed iron fist at one point. I like iron fish better.

Also, great iron fish.
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

Just recruit more mods. There are plenty of active people on the forums who have been around long enough to know if they are insane power-hungry monsters or not. So if/when the forum numbers go through the roof, there would be enough mods to handle any people who get way out of control or insane. Maybe even assign 2 mods per forum section so that they aren't all ignoring some things and overlapping others. It was how another forum I was on worked. Although I ended up taking over everything ;D

EDIT - I counted 5 moderators (Bele isn't really active but I am sure that if asked, he might hop back in). so maybe 1-3 more depending on how large numbers shoot up. Maybe it will not require any others.
Image "Everyone needs to have their avatar's edited to have afros." -Charley Deallus

I think this discussion is necessary to keep the spirit of the very nice LT community going as its population grows. :!:
Personally, I am all for keeping communities open out of principal (treat others the way I want to be treated) and because I love sharing stuff I enjoy. :D

However, critiques to Hardin's (an economist) "tragedy of the commons" theory by Ostrum (a cooler economist) and others have shown that (among other) control over access to "commons" (shared space and resources) is vital to maintaining them in good health and to reduce exploitation. I guess a higher moderator to poster ratio will be necessary as natural barriers to access (LT is not yet in the main stream, etc.) erode.

But there might be other solutions besides more moderators or locking newcomers out. Is there something that could be learned from the stackoverflow model (http://blog.codinghorror.com/introducin ... rflow-com/) and applied to forums? :?:

Online Now