Return to “Polls”

Besides English, what languages do you speak?

None. I only speak English.
Total votes: 55 (24%)
German
Total votes: 47 (20%)
Dutch/Afrikaans
Total votes: 14 (6%)
Other North Germanic lang (Norwegian, Danish, Swedish, Icelandic, Faroese)
Total votes: 11 (5%)
Spanish
Total votes: 22 (9%)
Portuguese
Total votes: 4 (2%)
French
Total votes: 22 (9%)
Italian
Total votes: 4 (2%)
Other Romance lang (Romanian, Catalan, etc.)
Total votes: 3 (1%)
Greek
Russian
Total votes: 10 (4%)
Other Slavic lang (Polish, Ukrainian, Czech, Bulgarian, etc.)
Total votes: 7 (3%)
Arabic (any dialect)
Total votes: 2 (1%)
Japanese
Total votes: 9 (4%)
Korean
(No votes)
Mandarin or other Chinese dialect (Min, Wu, Yue, Cantonese, etc.)
Total votes: 4 (2%)
Tai-Kadai lang (Thai, Lao, etc.)
(No votes)
Indo-Aryan lang (Hindi/Urdu, Punjabi, Gujarati, etc.)
Total votes: 4 (2%)
Any notable Conlang (Esperanto, lojban, Interlingua, etc.)
Total votes: 2 (1%)
Other -- Let us know in the comments!
Total votes: 12 (5%)
Total votes: 233
Post

What languages do you speak?

#1
We're such a diverse crowd, so (as a budding linguist) I'm naturally very curious as to what languages we speak.

Unfortunately, I had to group some languages by family (Tai-Kadai, North Germanic, Chinese languages, Indo-Aryan, Slavic, etc.) or by mutual intelligibility (Dutch/Afrikaans). But if you fall in one of those groups, tell us more in the comments!


As for me, I only speak German, and even that only for a few years. But I'd love to learn Mandarin.
Limit Theory IRC
Post

Re: What languages do you speak?

#4
TheJuggler wrote:We're such a diverse crowd, so (as a budding linguist) I'm naturally very curious as to what languages we speak.

Unfortunately, I had to group some languages by family (Tai-Kadai, North Germanic, Chinese languages, Indo-Aryan, Slavic, etc.) or by mutual intelligibility (Dutch/Afrikaans). But if you fall in one of those groups, tell us more in the comments!


As for me, I only speak German, and even that only for a few years. But I'd love to learn Mandarin.
We have a moderator named Grumblesaur who is interested in linguistics. He doesn't seem to be here as often as he used to be. I miss that. :(

Perhaps your interest will tempt him to post more again. ;) :angel:
Post

Re: What languages do you speak?

#5
I speak a little Hood, and am fluent in idiot, brainfart, and awkward. Do those count though?
Image
When you're trying to fill an infinite multiverse, if you're not willing to consider the entire creative output of humanity as a starting point, you're wasting your time.
User: JoshParnell is accountable for this user's actions.
Post

Re: What languages do you speak?

#9
Victor Tombs wrote:
TheJuggler wrote:We're such a diverse crowd, so (as a budding linguist) I'm naturally very curious as to what languages we speak.

Unfortunately, I had to group some languages by family (Tai-Kadai, North Germanic, Chinese languages, Indo-Aryan, Slavic, etc.) or by mutual intelligibility (Dutch/Afrikaans). But if you fall in one of those groups, tell us more in the comments!


As for me, I only speak German, and even that only for a few years. But I'd love to learn Mandarin.
We have a moderator named Grumblesaur who is interested in linguistics. He doesn't seem to be here as often as he used to be. I miss that. :(

Perhaps your interest will tempt him to post more again. ;) :angel:
I've been spending a lot of time engulfed in Terraria, Guns of Icarus, C++, conlanging, Homestuck, and procrastinating on my linguistics homework lately.
Shameless Self-Promotion 0/ magenta 0/ Forum Rules & Game FAQ
Post

Re: What languages do you speak?

#12
Dinosawer wrote:Odd thing, despite having learned French a lot longer than English my English is a lot better. :lol:
Alors présentez-vous à 0600 pour une session d'entrainement rapide.

La pratique est la seule chose qui compte pour les langues. Je propose donc la motion suivante pour aider Dinosawer:
-> Le forum "Suggestion" n'accepte plus que les suggestions en français.
Comme ça on fait d'une pierre deux coups: Dino améliore son français et Josh n'a plus besoin d'excuse pour ignorer les "feature-creeps" qui résultent de la lecture de ce forum.

En Taro Adun!
Image
Post

Re: What languages do you speak?

#13
Native German (as far as Austrian dialects are considered to be "real" German by our northern neighbours :P) speaker with good English and passable Italian here, as a medical student also some form of latin... (only passive) :thumbup:

Something quite interesting I personally experienced is that I start thinking solely in English while using it, something I don't do with Italian or Latin.
Post

Re: What languages do you speak?

#14
MWJ wrote:Native German (as far as Austrian dialects are considered to be "real" German by our northern neighbours :P) speaker with good English and passable Italian here, as a medical student also some form of latin... (only passive) :thumbup:

Something quite interesting I personally experienced is that I start thinking solely in English while using it, something I don't do with Italian or Latin.
There are only 2 groups of people who speak real german:
Austrians and Bavarians.

Those filthy prussians dont speak german :P

Online Now

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 2 guests

cron