Return to “Polls”

Besides English, what languages do you speak?

None. I only speak English.
Total votes: 55 (24%)
German
Total votes: 47 (20%)
Dutch/Afrikaans
Total votes: 14 (6%)
Other North Germanic lang (Norwegian, Danish, Swedish, Icelandic, Faroese)
Total votes: 11 (5%)
Spanish
Total votes: 22 (9%)
Portuguese
Total votes: 4 (2%)
French
Total votes: 22 (9%)
Italian
Other Romance lang (Romanian, Catalan, etc.)
Total votes: 3 (1%)
Greek
Russian
Total votes: 10 (4%)
Other Slavic lang (Polish, Ukrainian, Czech, Bulgarian, etc.)
Total votes: 7 (3%)
Arabic (any dialect)
Total votes: 2 (1%)
Japanese
Total votes: 9 (4%)
Korean
(No votes)
Mandarin or other Chinese dialect (Min, Wu, Yue, Cantonese, etc.)
Tai-Kadai lang (Thai, Lao, etc.)
(No votes)
Indo-Aryan lang (Hindi/Urdu, Punjabi, Gujarati, etc.)
Any notable Conlang (Esperanto, lojban, Interlingua, etc.)
Total votes: 2 (1%)
Other -- Let us know in the comments!
Total votes: 12 (5%)
Total votes: 233
Re: What languages do you speak?

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
MWJ wrote:Native German (as far as Austrian dialects are considered to be "real" German by our northern neighbours :P) speaker with good English and passable Italian here, as a medical student also some form of latin... (only passive) :thumbup:

Something quite interesting I personally experienced is that I start thinking solely in English while using it, something I don't do with Italian or Latin.
There are only 2 groups of people who speak real german:
Austrians and Bavarians.

Those filthy prussians dont speak german :P
I have to react on behalf of my northern landsmen:
The only region speaking the real "highest alemanic" are the Swiss mountains. People from the swiss plains have downgraded to only "high alemanic".
Bavarians and austrians speak variants of the bavarian group, which is - together with the Alemaic, Swabian and Franconian part of the "upper german".

See a trend there? The northern you go, the less "high", "upper" you get.
So let me laugh when people say "hochdeutsch" is spoken in north of germany.

PS: am neutral here. Am french speaking...

CSE wrote:
Dinosawer wrote:Odd thing, despite having learned French a lot longer than English my English is a lot better. :lol:
Alors présentez-vous à 0600 pour une session d'entrainement rapide.

La pratique est la seule chose qui compte pour les langues. Je propose donc la motion suivante pour aider Dinosawer:
-> Le forum "Suggestion" n'accepte plus que les suggestions en français.
Comme ça on fait d'une pierre deux coups: Dino améliore son français et Josh n'a plus besoin d'excuse pour ignorer les "feature-creeps" qui résultent de la lecture de ce forum.

En Taro Adun!
La pratique est vraiment importante (l'Internet est en anglais), mais je pense que le fait que l'anglais et néerlandais sont de la même famille de langues est aussi un facteur.
Et qui dit que Josh ne parle pas le français? ;)
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

Finno-Ugrics get no love, just shoved into Other :lol:

Besides my mother tongue, I speak English and German. German more on a 'can work abroad and talk about politics' level, while they say my grammar is stronk enough to kill roaches in the Goethe Institut :? I heard a lot of flavors, too, and I gotta say that Schwiizerdütsch is something very special :3 I also spent a lot of my formative time in Sachsen, so my pronunciation is... bad to worse!

I should learn Finnish sometime. Sounds easy enough, and might be fun.
panic

Before I submit I need to know: Since when (I don't know where I missed it somewhere in the news perhaps) is dutch not a Germanic language anymore but an african one. I don't have anything against africans btw, but this is simply mindbotteling.... And if you know, please tell me in what way Dutch is related to African. Whoever made this poll surely didn't do his homework.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Mp35R--Jrmg

Tsjernobyl wrote:Before I submit I need to know: Since when (I don't know where I missed it somewhere in the news perhaps) is dutch not a Germanic language anymore but an african one. I don't have anything against africans btw, but this is simply mindbotteling.... And if you know, please tell me in what way Dutch is related to African. Whoever made this poll surely didn't do his homework.
Afrikaans is the language spoken in south Africa and is a daughter language of Dutch. :)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afrikaans
Last edited by Dinosawer on Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Does art counts as language? :D

I speak, obviously, English, Ukrainian, Russian, and understand a bit of Polish.
But I also plan to learn Japanese, coz I love how it sounds and how there symbols look.
I̲̩̳̺̩̫n̵̻̘͚͖̗͎ͅ ͢J̜̬̗̦o̩̘̦̪͕͉ͅs͞h̞͘ ̯̹͈͙w̯̙̥e̱͉ ̬̙̘̭̯̦͕t̹͖͔̖͘r͚̠̰͍͚̹ụ̸̭͍͕̯̹̙s̩͓̼̲̲͉̹t̰.̴͈̖͙̜̲

We will never forget the "Heavenly hundred"
Failures lead to success.

Dinosawer wrote:
Tsjernobyl wrote:Before I submit I need to know: Since when (I don't know where I missed it somewhere in the news perhaps) is dutch not a Germanic language anymore but an african one. I don't have anything against africans btw, but this is simply mindbotteling.... And if you know, please tell me in what way Dutch is related to African. Whoever made this poll surely didn't do his homework.
Afrikaans is the language spoken in south Africa and is a daughter language of Dutch. :)
which means all the other African languages are excluded from this poll??

Tsjernobyl wrote:
Dinosawer wrote:
"Other" :roll:
The poll maker probably didn't expect a lot of African people in this small community.

Tsjernobyl wrote:
Dinosawer wrote:
Mate there are soooooooo many African languages. Just in South Africa there's Zulu, Xhosa, Tsonga, Sotho (Northern and Southern varieties), Tswana, Swati, Venda, and Ndebele. And those are just the official languages.

Ow, my mistake here "Afrikaans" is the Dutch word for African. Sorry.
Still weird though, south african is more English than it is Dutch, still a dutch daughterlanguage.
Must be because Dutch have a higher awesome factor.
Note: Dutch is divided in several languages as well. There is Frisian, Achterhoeks, twents, drents, brabants, limburgs, zeeuws, Veluws and west dutch (As we say in the east) where one sub Dutch language is strongly different from the other and two people from different language famalies do not understand eachother. Tho I speak East Veluws, which different from west or north Veluws...
So much packed together in one language. So Dutch will count as Dutch, East Veluws counts as other, English, german. Haha :thumbup:

Online Now