Return to “Polls”

Direct Transactions Through Owned Ships?

yes (player sees far-off station trade interface)
Total votes: 36 (57%)
no (delegate trade to AI pilot)
Total votes: 27 (43%)
Total votes: 63
Re: Direct Transactions Through Owned Ships?

Etsu wrote: I would prefer the need to dock to a space station or land in a colony to be able to make transactions or read the mission board for example, as was show to us in past video updates. Sounds more interesting. I don't want to sit in my ship and play Space Monopoly without ever start my thrusters.

In case of having employees with their own ships, I suppose you will need to use the Command Interface and some sort of "e-mail" communication system, but the big distances in space will make unlikely any type of communication outside the system where you are. Even in the same system we could have a little delay, if not due to technology limitations because our pilot needs to re-send his data to us. (If we ask a pilot to go to a space station and send us the market prices, he will need to dock in the station himself, and then transfer the data from his coputer to ours. Besides, such information surely will be slightly outdated.)

if you dont want to play space monopoly, then dont do it, nobody is pressing you into it.

The data would be about as outdated as the game data between 2 CoD players, one in the US one in EU, who play in multiplayer would be. neglectible

I voted no, but I can see how quantum entanglement used in computers could relay information instantaneously across any distance. I voted no because I would rather ask the NPC in the particular area to look the information up for me rather than have it available at all times.

I don't really want instant perfect information in LT, but I do see it becoming more and more likely with current science.

Cornflakes_91 wrote:The data would be about as outdated as the game data between 2 CoD players, one in the US one in EU, who play in multiplayer would be. neglectible
Usually. But a big investment or transaction could change everything. A second late and you lost all.

However, I don't think that information through space should be as "fast" as Internet (if you can call Internet fast). But I'm no one to say that, and it's not my decision anyway.
"Playing" is not simply a pastime, it is the primordial basis of imagination and creation. - Hideo Kojima

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
BFett wrote:I voted no, but I can see how quantum entanglement used in computers could relay information instantaneously across any distance.
science says no

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No-communication_theorem

:P
Yea! My position stands ever stronger. Thanks for the info.

I broke the tie again...

Voted No. I agree with the argument that you have full control over what you do, but not on what you choose not to do, but to delegate.

Option #1 I am landed or close enough (within the same kind of distance that mining has) to the market: full control via the trade interface.

Option #2: AI order: go to system X, buy Y tons of Z if cost < K ¥ within T hours, then next mission (e.g. Return, or go to the next market to keep trying finding the material). This cost you always (you have to pay the AI and its costs, such as his ship), if you put too much constraints (e.g. on cost) you have no guarentee of success. But very close control and by making good order sequences, quite some supply security.

Option #3: I create a mission (bring me in location X, Y tons of Z, within T hours and I am willing to pay K ¥"). This wraps a clear price per unit and include possibly the transport. It does not allow to profit from lower market cost, however, and nobody accepts the mission if the ware is too expansive to make a profit. But it does not cost anything if the mission is not successful. (It could therefore be used for grabbing good occasion, letting some missions with low payment around so that you profit if costs of ware goes way down, without costs otherwise. So a minimal fee for posting missions may be reasonable to avoid letting zillions of open missions)

Option #4: I hire an AI and give him high level mission (mine and make profit, or build ship X while organizing all materials and blueprints, or even higher level), leaving him freedom to operate within his objective. Then I basically have no control on his actions, but obviously the upside is that it removes work from my shoulders.

yes, because

#Option 5: tell your AI "Fly there and call me when you are there"

and tell him to buy on market prices or not when he is calling you

i dont see any reason to deny a functionality that would arise from normal communication with your subordinates

"slave #23434, whats the price of viridium at the sation you are docked?"

"3 credits per ton master"

"go ahead and fill your hold with viridium"

Scytale wrote:No, BFett states the position I hold best. I don't like instant information from 1000 systems away, it seems like there should be a logistical penalty associated with it
i've thought of that :roll:

in ranges where you have perfect information (which is at the current state of the game infinite) i think you should be able to command according to those informations.

nothing is more frustrating than to see the perfect infos but not to be able to act on them, or only with workarounds like with CSE's #2, but not some range but the exact value you know the price to be right now

I agree with you and I like your pipelines construct Cornflakes, but my beef is with the perfect information assumption. Something bugs me about knowing everything about a system so far away in the same way I do here... But I'm not too fussed about it. "Signal degradation" due to some influence sounds initially like a good idea to me, but a dangerous one.

I'm with you if communications pipelines are *the* solution to the 'distant information' problem though.

Scytale wrote:but a dangerous one.
i dont see what should be "dangerous" in that context :think:
Scytale wrote:I agree with you and I like your pipelines construct Cornflakes, but my beef is with the perfect information assumption. Something bugs me about knowing everything about a system so far away in the same way I do here... But I'm not too fussed about it.
if you want perfect information you either need to be near or need expensive infrastructure to extend "near"

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Scytale wrote:but a dangerous one.
i dont see what should be "dangerous" in that context :think:
Communications pipelines aside, "signal degradation" as a concept could have unintended side effects - that's what I mean by dangerous. Thinking about it now though, signal degradation could in fact be the very explanation you need to justify the need for communications infrastructure, side effects be damned. I'll have a think about it.
Scytale wrote:I agree with you and I like your pipelines construct Cornflakes, but my beef is with the perfect information assumption. Something bugs me about knowing everything about a system so far away in the same way I do here... But I'm not too fussed about it.
if you want perfect information you either need to be near or need expensive infrastructure to extend "near"
This is what I like so much about your idea. You have to work to increase your informational awareness. It's one thing to have assets on the other side of the universe, it's quite another to see what they see.

Online Now