Return to “Polls”

Direct Transactions Through Owned Ships?

yes (player sees far-off station trade interface)
Total votes: 36 (57%)
no (delegate trade to AI pilot)
Total votes: 27 (43%)
Total votes: 63
Re: Direct Transactions Through Owned Ships?

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Talvieno wrote:If the player can do it, the AI should be able to do it too - through you, just as you would be able to do it through them.
You arent a worker npc of another AI
So? I see being an 'errand boy' as a valid job opportunity when you're starting out.
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

Talvieno wrote:Aye, that would be my primary argument against. The AI needs to be able to do anything the player could.
view it in a different way, the "direct access" is just looking at the market and directly ordering the pilot to buy (and maybe load) the stuff.

you as player and executives could choose to simply not comply, evening the field

edit: the buying part doesnt even have to vary, the docked ship just acts as relay for the buy order, regardless of pilot.
this also buys some temporary storage
and the UI just gives the player an easy method to directly (order to) load the goods into the docked ship

I think you should be able to trade some things from a distance... like bluepreints for credits, or recieveing credits for completeing a mission, but for other more physical things (with a slight risk of it getting hacked) you could either hire a courier, or send out your supply ship (more seccure). Otherwise, for things like ore, you could use the transfer beam if you where close enough, or dock to trade things like ship coponents and other large conplex goods (most seccure).
"A sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
- Arthur C. Clarke

You should be able to make a trade in place of an AI. As was said earlier, it's just like giving him an order. I don't think there should be unlimited range on this though.

If there is no penalty for distance, then you could just put a ship in every station and have total knowledge of markets and instantaneous buying power.

The whole point of having AI to deligate too is so they make these kinds of decisions.

I would argue that you have player control up to a distance. Then you assign Smart AI to different regions to call the shots when you are outside of range. This way small time players can handle all of their transactions manually, but large players have to think big.

Online Now