Total votes: 4 (9%)
in-system (advanced teleportation?)
Total votes: 5 (11%)
other...
Total votes: 6 (13%)
Total votes: 47
Re: Trade Transaction Distance?

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Cha0zz wrote:Yep, indeed, I was assuming that docking would be physical when I made that statement, if docking from a distance is allowed, I have no objections to let everything dock with everything.
I disagree, if both objects have approbiate docking clamps they can latch on/dock to each other.

Regardless of size
for external docking bays; yes (unless it gets ridiculous like a very small fighter with a huge, massive, gigantic carrier docked on it)

for internal ones; size should always be smaller than the internal space.
LT Wiki | IRC | REKT Wiki
Idiots. Idiots everywhere. ~Dr. Cha0zz

Cha0zz wrote:
I thought of that as obvious.

Internal space will likely be dependent on external dimensions, so when your hangar isnt big enough you cant dock internally.

But as stations are not size limited, and ships are, i guess you cant build a ship too big to dock everywhere.

As you can always build a bigger station

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Cha0zz wrote:
I thought of that as obvious.

Internal space will likely be dependent on external dimensions, so when your hangar isnt big enough you cant dock internally.

But as stations are not size limited, and ships are, i guess you cant build a ship too big to dock everywhere.

As you can always build a bigger station
Yeah I know, just stating the obvious :P

Also, I thought stations were going to be size limited? but only with a higher limit than ships?
LT Wiki | IRC | REKT Wiki
Idiots. Idiots everywhere. ~Dr. Cha0zz

maybe gameplay wise.

But josh once stated that it took him 15 minutes to fly through a station generated for testing purposes.

I guess we can safely assume that you can always build a big enough hangar station :lol:

Another small proposition to avoid future confusion:

connection between 2 objects, both staying in free space:
Docking

Connector for those ships:
Dockport, Airlock, Anchor point (on stations)

Smaller ship flies into hangar of bigger one:
Landing
Last edited by Cornflakes_91 on Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cornflakes_91 wrote:maybe gameplay wise.

But josh once stated that it took him 15 minutes to fly through a station generated for testing purposes.

I guess we can safely assume that you can always build a big enough hangar station :lol:

Another small proposition to avoid future confusion:

connection between 2 objects, both staying in free space:
Docking

Connector for those ships:
Dockport, Airlock, Anchor point (on stations)

Smaller ship flies into hangar of bigger one:
Landing
I like this... I think I'll edit my LTFC story a bit to reflect it. (dock to hangar)
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Speaking to the poll (rather than to the discussion about docking), I think I'm leaning toward a hybrid solution:

1. In-system, all communication (ship orders, contracts) is instantaneous and doesn't need a physical representation.
2. Between systems, anything not already physicalized must be represented as a physical object and transported in a ship.

I think this solution minimizes inconsistency while maximizing both fast-paced tactical fun and thoughtful strategic fun.

Other is my vote, as I don't have enough information. For example, is communications in LT considered instantaneous regardless of distance? Do prices fluctuate? If no to either or both than remote transactions don't make sense to me and I'd say dock to transact business.

If yes to both then I think long distance transactions should be fine but unless you are there to take delivery it goes into your station storage. Nice way to take advantage of the market changes. As to distance, it should be consistent with the limitation of the "instantaneous" communications.

If we are talking about how far away can I be and still take immediate delivery I'd say have to be docked. Sure they can push it out an airlock so you can tractor, but, I don't know, it'd not be THAT big of a deal.

Okay, so afaik, the plan is for you to be able to rent/own storage space on stations.

Then it seems like you should be able to remotely place trading orders to buy goods up to the amount that can be stored in your storage space, and remotely place sell orders on goods that are already in that storage space.

You could easily extend the idea by treating cargo space in ships of your faction as storage space, allowing you to use cargo space of ships docked at (or maybe within transfer beam distance of) the station the same way.

As for communication distance, the game is already sat up to generate a system/region hierarchy - just limit it to one of those - my gut says to go with the region-based communication limit - but I suppose system-wide would also work if the systems turn out big enough to often support their own internal economies.

- - -

Of course, this is just for directly player-controlled trading. There should also be an option to simply order one of your ships to go to station X in so-and-so system, buy a cargo-hold's worth of good Y, and ship it to place Z, repeat, etc, etc. Or even a way to order them to plan and set up their own runs between locations A and B, if the AI proves smart enough.
- The Snark Knight

"Look upward, and share the wonders I've seen."

Just_Ice_au wrote:Okay, so afaik, the plan is for you to be able to rent/own storage space on stations.

Then it seems like you should be able to remotely place trading orders to buy goods up to the amount that can be stored in your storage space, and remotely place sell orders on goods that are already in that storage space.

You could easily extend the idea by treating cargo space in ships of your faction as storage space, allowing you to use cargo space of ships docked at (or maybe within transfer beam distance of) the station the same way.

As for communication distance, the game is already sat up to generate a system/region hierarchy - just limit it to one of those - my gut says to go with the region-based communication limit - but I suppose system-wide would also work if the systems turn out big enough to often support their own internal economies.

- - -

Of course, this is just for directly player-controlled trading. There should also be an option to simply order one of your ships to go to station X in so-and-so system, buy a cargo-hold's worth of good Y, and ship it to place Z, repeat, etc, etc. Or even a way to order them to plan and set up their own runs between locations A and B, if the AI proves smart enough.
Second that.

Another approach for the distance is to limit it with research (safe trade is only possible within x AU) and items, e.g. "secure connection trade antenna"
:D

Talvieno wrote:I find it confusing that the poll options are about cargo transportation, and I think it might have been made in error.
You are absolutely right. I unknowingly assumed that LT market transactions must always involve transportation of a ware but I agree that this is not the case.

I'm trying to make sense of the poll results now, but because of the poll's mixed message there's no telling which vote used which interpretation. I think the best correction for this is to abandon these votes by recreating the poll in a new thread with a more consistent theme.

Online Now