Yes - Text
(No votes)
Yes - Other
Total votes: 1 (4%)
No - Keep it mixed
Total votes: 18 (67%)
Total votes: 27
LTFC - Styles and themes

Starting with the October edition of the LT Fan Contest, we could mix things up. The September edition introduced themes, But I read there's an interest to also add a Style requirement to each edition.

Themes are a required element that needs to be in the submission (eg explosions).
Styles are the type of art that can be submitted: drawings and paintings (digital or manual), video and animated gifs, written stories, ...

So, here are my questions:
Should each edition be styled? - Then pick any "yes" option, otherwise pick "no".
Which style would you want it to be? - Pick any option, or pick "yes - other" and reply with your idea.

Please, give me feedback. If styling or not styling the contest would prohibit you from participating, I really want to know. My absolute priority is to keep the contest fun, and accessible to everyone.
If there are other ways the contest can be held that would
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.
Re: LTFC - Styles and themes

My chances of participating are low anyway (time constraints).
So purely as spectator: the more you limit, the less submission there will be. Me not happy when less. :evil:

Why limit the creativity around? Just to allow a "fairer" ranking? Guys, it is a friendly competition within a forum dedicated to a game. it is sort of squared playful, really nothing requiring a "lawyer-proof" jury...
:monkey:

CSE wrote: Why limit the creativity around? Just to allow a "fairer" ranking? Guys, it is a friendly competition within a forum dedicated to a game. it is sort of squared playful, really nothing requiring a "lawyer-proof" jury...
This intrigued me. I suppose we could pick a winner in each category, instead of judging everything in one pile?
Would that make sense?

This could even entice participants to make different kinds of submissions.
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

Katorone wrote:
CSE wrote: Why limit the creativity around? Just to allow a "fairer" ranking? Guys, it is a friendly competition within a forum dedicated to a game. it is sort of squared playful, really nothing requiring a "lawyer-proof" jury...
This intrigued me. I suppose we could pick a winner in each category, instead of judging everything in one pile?
Would that make sense?

This could even entice participants to make different kinds of submissions.
Sure, that would allow to (1) keep diverse submissions and to (2) fairly compare carrots with carrots and not carrots with cabbages.
BUT, what are the chances to get every month enough submissions in several categories?

And I assume there is no really an option to extend the deadline in order to increase the submissions. Because if the competition comes to a close too infrequently, you loose the momentum and can transform the competition in just a "fan-art" thread...

And basically I agree with Lum: keep it simple, don't overthink it....

Lum wrote:My last comment on this topic, because somehow it is slowly getting on my nerves: please don't overcomplicate things.
But if the current process is detrimental to those that don't do well to the point that they don't submit again, how does that help things?
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

DWMagus wrote:But if the current process is detrimental to those that don't do well to the point that they don't submit again, how does that help things?
How is what's being suggested for this thread solving the issue you're bringing up here?

If you're worried about people not playing because they might lose you might want to ask them what they think a contest is. If you want a fan-content thread make a thread anyone can put things in, that's not what this is.
woops, my bad, everything & anything actually means specific and conformed

Katawa wrote:If you're worried about people not playing because they might lose you might want to ask them what they think a contest is. If you want a fan-content thread make a thread anyone can put things in, that's not what this is.
This is my sentiment as well. I do want to entice as many people as possible to take part. But people who participate should do it for the joy of participating. Sure you can come in last. Taking Augusts contest as an example, there was a clear difference between a photoshop that took a few hours to create, and an animation that took days. It's just what it is. There were no restrictions to revise or improve the entry.

Looking at the winners, one even gave away his key to another participant. This tells me that the contest is fun, and in line with the team spirit and camaraderie on this forum.
Lum wrote:What I don't understand is where the problem is. There is a theme, there is a (somewhat generous) deadline and there are no restrictions on what to do (digital painting, prose, poetry, sound, video...)

Adding things or overcomplicating what to do will unlikely bring more people to participate...
I'm inclined to agree with this as well. Even if a more practical reason is telling me this wouldn't be an ideal solution... I love the idea of giving away prizes, and it just isn't possible to give away a key for each type of submission each edition.

But still, I'm open to suggestions and all of your opinions.

Online Now