Total votes: 52
Space RPG or RPG in Space?

Hello space cowboys and fleet commanders,

I'm originally here to address some of the stuff that really bugs me
(and offer some ideas/solutions) e.g. floating travel structure,
Spoiler:      SHOW
Reasons why jumpgates are stupid
  • ruining my view of awesome artistic space, procedural made by josh
  • boring if forced a long multi jumpgate trip, of already well known, maybe empty sectors
  • requirement of another street/highway feature to make sector jumpgate to jumpgate travel less painful
  • again even more stuff that ruins my majestic space view
  • if there is a guy building one gate (existent of artificial object means: someone had come here to construct them) how did he get to the wanted exit point to build another gate and why he didn't build it closer to stuff like the spacestation or to an other jumpgate connection or on the ground of the planet?
  • if the only entrance and exit is destroyed there is now a forever trapped sector in space
  • doesnt it make u sad that u can never be first exploring a place in a huge infinite universe?! (there is always gatebuilder/wormhole creators before you)
i could go on..
but after researching allot topic related stuff, here on the forum and else where
I came to realise that I'm not the only kind that is attracted to the LT universe, they are actually 2

space rpg
more classy free role-play in a sci-fi space simulation
  • world worth playing in (open, unlimited, complex, smart, universe)
  • different ways to play, interact and progress (e.g. pirate leader, trader, researcher, miner, colonial governor, explorer, fleet pilot, freelancer, etc.)
  • experience that sci-fi space feeling (open, sandboxy, classic merge of aircombat and ocean travel sci-fi style)

rpg in space
modern rpg game mechanics with space theme/background
  • starting with a character(fighter) at level 1 and going all the way up (maybe having different classes)
  • activities to collect EXP(money):
    slaying sneaky mobs(pirates) / doing quests(assassinate stuff) / doing side-quests(deliver stuff) / trading EXP for skill-points (weapon upgrade) / having a big party around to kill next boss(big ship)
  • having a huge range of skills to make fight more interesting (dmg absorption, speed buff, magic beams :ghost:)
  • when you want to leave town/area than walk long enough until you hit the teleportation device(jump-gate) and enter the room right next door

One doesn't preclude the other, but focus is clearly on different sides.
What for me could be a problem, could makes for someone else absolute sense.

I would love to hear what you would prefer,

and maybe comment on if its worth talking about some redesign of classic Freelancer inspired gameplay
to fit both needs and wants.
Re: Space RPG or RPG in Space?

First of all, I didn't want to argue about jump-gates in this topic,
there are already enough topic related threats about them.
I tried to read all of them and some other stuff I do care (jump-gates were just an example)

I try to clarify my motivation on an abstract example:
  • there is an action film full of cool and expensive special effect
  • all people going to watch that films actually love action genre
    but when they leave, 2 opinions have developed
  • some liked all the action but got displeased with some major plot-holes and stuff that made no sense
  • and the other were totally blown away calling it the best movie of the year and don't care about that insignificant story friction, maybe didn't even noticed
  • while those hope the sequel will be the exact same quality
    the 2nd group hopes that the made mistakes won't happen next time
(I probably don't have to say on which position I am)

jump-gates make sense from the current gameplay view
but they are technically excuses (and that is the problem for some or many)
(@ Cornflakes_91: natural worm-holes in every system? with at least 2 of them and probably more..?! that makes even less sense than jump-gates, and again feels like an excuse to not destroy them.. this is definitely worth a discussion, but.. not here.. give me link or pm)

the thing is: most problems cant get solve with just adding or cutting features
it would take a slight redesign of the foundation to fit everything
I just wanted to hear if people are aware of it and ready to talk about it
if not, I remain silent

and I am under no illusion that talking about that has no guarantee to actually change LT
as all suggestion don't have one

I noticed that some didn't get what I tried to say with 'RPG in Space'
  • everything that I didn't put into brackets is the base of modern fantasy RPG like say WoW
  • written in brackets is what space RPG as LT and spiritual ancestor translate into their gameplay (think about it)
  • including some excuses in favor of gameplay
  • having a solid RPG video game, but in space
or people would be fine taking some steps back from the common strict model
to solve of some problems already known

PS: maybe I should just go ahead and talk about the direction of redesign on foundation I have in mind before people get confused

uno:

i think you are reading too much into "RPG" in this case.

you wont have any common RPG traits in this game, no skills, no leveling, no (obvious) dice rolls etc

the only xp you get is the literal experience you have and the skill you get by plaing the game.

there is no loot in the general sense that you get your primary equipment by searching your enemies corpses, you just get equipment you could as well steal or buy

there is no conventional NPC interaction, as there are no stories and characters written in LT

any "role" you get is just what you do at the moment, and how certain NPC factions stand to you

so LT will clearly be on your "space rpg" side of the scale

ps: thanks gazz

LT really isn't a RPG in the classic sense, if it were I probably wouldn't be here. I like to think of LT as a First Person Space game with RTS features. From what I understand there will not be any artificial leveling, power-ups, or super unfair weapons or items. If you want to see these type of things in LT you'll have a bit of coding to do.

BFett wrote:LT really isn't a RPG in the classic sense, if it were I probably wouldn't be here. I like to think of LT as a First Person Space game with RTS features. From what I understand there will not be any artificial leveling, power-ups, or super unfair weapons or items. If you want to see these type of things in LT you'll have a bit of coding to do.
Did you forget the data editor?
Challenging your assumptions is good for your health, good for your business, and good for your future. Stay skeptical but never undervalue the importance of a new and unfamiliar perspective.
Imagination Fertilizer
Beauty may not save the world, but it's the only thing that can

Hyperion wrote:
BFett wrote:LT really isn't a RPG in the classic sense, if it were I probably wouldn't be here. I like to think of LT as a First Person Space game with RTS features. From what I understand there will not be any artificial leveling, power-ups, or super unfair weapons or items. If you want to see these type of things in LT you'll have a bit of coding to do.
Did you forget the data editor?
You know, I did :shock: . LT has so many features that I can't keep them all straight. Maybe it's time for a recap LT video :P

Other games feature creep. LT prefers to take a faster approach to the same idea... but also does them all with elegance and efficiency and efficacy. :lol: :D
Challenging your assumptions is good for your health, good for your business, and good for your future. Stay skeptical but never undervalue the importance of a new and unfamiliar perspective.
Imagination Fertilizer
Beauty may not save the world, but it's the only thing that can

Online Now