Programming Experience

Want to reach a consensus? There's no better way than a poll!

What programming/scripting languages have you used to write real programs?

APL
1
0%
BASIC (any flavor)
35
9%
COBOL
5
1%
C
42
11%
C++
51
13%
C#
33
8%
D
1
0%
FORTH
1
0%
FORTRAN
4
1%
Java
58
15%
JavaScript
35
9%
LISP
7
2%
Lua
16
4%
Objective-C
3
1%
Perl
11
3%
PHP
25
6%
Prolog
5
1%
Python
47
12%
Ruby
9
2%
Scheme
3
1%
 
Total votes : 392

Re: Programming Experience

Postby outlander4 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:23 am

Practical application, you say? The only program I wrote was one that deleted all shortcuts for games from the desktop when started. Informatics teacher was not amused. It basically ended my desire to write programs.
Image

Survivor of the Josh Parnell Blackout of 2015.
outlander4
Captain
 
Posts: 818
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:56 am
Location: Asturias, Spain

Re: Programming Experience

Postby Flatfingers » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:45 pm

Gazz wrote:So this poll would be most awesome?

http://frontiers.prophpbb.com/topic182.html

That is indeed an awesome poll.

The part I liked best that that virtually every single one of the options that got 20 or more votes was some version of "explorer." That tells you something very useful about who's showing up for FRONTIERS and what they'd like from it, I think.

DWMagus wrote:
CSE wrote:But real men use PERL, of course.


This.

Perl is to scripting what TECO was to file editing: unnecessarily arcane, to the point that trying to do actual real-world work of any size in Perl is equivalent to inviting Cthulhu into your brain for a wee bit of a rummage.

I don't use JQuery precisely because it looks like some Perl zealot decided it would be a good idea to infect a nice, simple, usable JavaScript with gibberish symbols.

Finally, I left out "I don't program" as an option in this poll because it would skew the results. The point is to see what languages are used by those who do program.

We could always create an "I don't program because ..." poll, I suppose. ;)
User avatar
Flatfingers
Vice Admiral
 
Posts: 4415
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:45 am

Re: Programming Experience

Postby CSE » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:11 pm

Flatfingers wrote:
DWMagus wrote:
CSE wrote:But real men use PERL, of course.


This.

Perl is to scripting what TECO was to file editing: unnecessarily arcane, to the point that trying to do actual real-world work of any size in Perl is equivalent to inviting Cthulhu into your brain for a wee bit of a rummage.

I fail to see any contradiction.
:twisted:
Image
by Cha0zz
User avatar
CSE
Commander
 
Posts: 470
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:59 pm
Location: Switzerland

Re: Programming Experience

Postby DWMagus » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:22 pm

Flatfingers wrote:I don't use JQuery precisely because it looks like some Perl zealot decided it would be a good idea to infect a nice, simple, usable JavaScript with gibberish symbols.


:evil:

:twisted:

:ghost:
Image
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.
User avatar
DWMagus
Moderator
 
Posts: 5066
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:25 pm
Location: Denver, CO, United States

Re: Programming Experience

Postby CodeDecoded » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:32 pm

I've made real programs only in Python 3.x and TI-Basic (A variation of BASIC on Texas Instruments Calculators). I've made a few basic codes in Python, and some simple math utilities bundled up in a nice interface in TI-Basic (Which I sold for a good amount of money at the time! :D ) I also had some programming experience in C# via the Unity Engine, and CSS/HTML, where I designed a few elements for various sites. However, I've never written any actual program myself in any of these languages, so I didn't include it in the poll.

BTW, Flats so ninja'd me. I was thinking about making a poll to see who would be interesting in modding LT via LTSL, and what prior knowledge they had in other programming languages. :lol:
Brian makes Art! Check out http://bk-creations.deviantart.com/ for more information! Suggestions are appreciated!

In Josh we trust.
User avatar
CodeDecoded
Lieutenant Commander
 
Posts: 110
Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:16 am
Location: NY

Re: Programming Experience

Postby Flatfingers » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:21 pm

I considered including HTML in this poll.

I decided against doing so because although it's called "HyperText Markup Language," it's not really a programming language. (As is true of its sort-of-parent, SGML.)



Offhand story time (since we're doing that now): other than the canonical "hello, world" program to learn C (and compiling), literally the first real program I wrote in C was the one that served the most people and was supported for the longest time.

There was a MS-DOS program called DataEase that provided a fairly nice front end to various database management systems, as well as having its own databases. The only problem was that our native DE databases were getting so big that backing them up, or copying them to a different machine (which we needed to do as this was just at the start of the era of Local Area Networks) took literally overnight. It was getting in the way of doing business.

So I sat myself down with a copy of DataEase and some kind of hex editor and puzzled out exactly how they did database exports and imports. I then wrote a C program to move these files, rather than import them, and then write the appropriate descriptive values directly into DataEase so that the new database would be properly recognized. An operation that was taking over 12 hours could be completed in a couple of minutes.

That capability changed how we did business. Being able to get a lot of data almost instantly from where it was created to where it was needed -- something we take for granted today -- made everyone in my office more productive because it increased the speed at which valuable information could be obtained when needed. That a larval-stage C programmer could make that happen was a lesson I never forgot.

The right program, in the right place, at the right time, can make a real difference. Programming is awesome. :)
User avatar
Flatfingers
Vice Admiral
 
Posts: 4415
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:45 am

Re: Programming Experience

Postby Baile nam Fonn » Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:59 pm

For lols I'll mention here my silly small exposure to programming: Turing for an easy high school credit.
If I remember rightly, I almost failed that one.. I liked our easy-going, hands-on learning type teacher,
the language and the coding experience well enough-- the coding being a novel thing for me.
But I was that guy who could pretty much be counted on to fail any course involving a big, must submit, final assignment.

Needless to say, my education didn't go as far as post-secondary.
I also never developed any lasting compulsion to pursue programming beyond that.
"omg such tech many efficiency WOW" ~ Josh Parnell
User avatar
Baile nam Fonn
Captain
 
Posts: 981
Joined: Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:56 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Programming Experience

Postby Talvieno » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:04 pm

Baile nam Fonn wrote:Needless to say, my education didn't go as far as post-secondary.
I also never developed any lasting compulsion to pursue programming beyond that.

You musssttttt. You musssssssssttttttt. It is your destiny, your calling!
User avatar
Talvieno
Community Manager
 
Posts: 7760
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:50 pm
Location: North GA, USA

Re: Programming Experience

Postby Flatfingers » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:17 pm

Baile nam Fonn wrote:I liked our easy-going, hands-on learning type teacher,
the language and the coding experience well enough-- the coding being a novel thing for me.
But I was that guy who could pretty much be counted on to fail any course involving a big, must submit, final assignment.

Urrgghh, those class-ending Big Projects.

For the students who discovered that they enjoyed programming, and who would do it for fun, those kinds of projects should have been cake. They'd still take time, but there wasn't anything conceptually daunting about them by the end of that class.

The problem was that in pretty much every case, the Big Project the teachers wanted was inevitably some version of an accounts-payable system... in other words, the most mind-numbingly uninteresting kind of software program ever conceived.

It was like they were deliberately trying to spike any pleasure we might have had in the programming process. I like to think if they'd assigned some kind of game or simulation, more people would have succeeded in finishing it even if it was a Big Project.
User avatar
Flatfingers
Vice Admiral
 
Posts: 4415
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:45 am

Re: Programming Experience

Postby Dinosawer » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:00 am

In our C/C++ class, the Big End project was a game (it always was, apparently). We had to program a version of Puzzle Bobble for two players, where the second player could be played by an AI. Lot of work, but fun to do :)
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING
Image
User avatar
Dinosawer
Admiral
 
Posts: 5511
Joined: Fri May 09, 2014 1:08 pm
Location: Belgium

Re: Programming Experience

Postby TyreeC » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:55 am

I am old enough to have done both machine code and assembler at college, but maybe that doesn't fall under real coding. You did miss ADA'84 from the list; spent many years coding that for my first job; probably the best compiler I have used in terms of user feedback :D
TyreeC
Recruit
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:30 pm

Re: Programming Experience

Postby DWMagus » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:59 am

I was already good enough with programming that by the second class in college, me and my wife never got to the Big Project. We asked the teacher on the first day "If we bring in a Big Project next time, can we just pass the class and not show up?". The teacher was cool and said we could.

Our Big Project? An MMO framework that allowed players to chat, drive rudimentary cars on a textured, bump-mapped plane, that also had an auto-updater running off of a server implementation of the same code. However it was in Java, so it probably doesn't count in the real world and probably doesn't even work anymore due to all of Java's updates since then.
Image
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.
User avatar
DWMagus
Moderator
 
Posts: 5066
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:25 pm
Location: Denver, CO, United States

Re: Programming Experience

Postby Lum » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:16 am

I printed "Hello world!" on the screen using Basic back in my primary school years... That counts? :lol:

Oh, and some HTML for a couple of webs, without any fancier than HTML and CSS... I suppose that doesn't count also... :cry:

No programmer here, sorry :lol:
Last edited by Lum on Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Lum
Vice Admiral
 
Posts: 3120
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:10 pm
Location: Potsdam (Germany)

Re: Programming Experience

Postby Talvieno » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:01 pm

public class HelloLum {
public static void main(String [] args) {
System.out.println("Hello World!");
}
}
User avatar
Talvieno
Community Manager
 
Posts: 7760
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:50 pm
Location: North GA, USA

Re: Programming Experience

Postby Cornflakes_91 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:23 pm

from the amount oc code written my "big project" wss a small ASCII-Console moon lander clone inclusive level editor.

Functionalitx wise my biggest project was my acoustic phased array projector, altough it failed because of insuffecient hadware.
My microcontroller shat itself when i tried reading audio from the usb while having a 20 microsecond interrupt that wanted to send the audiodata out to my digital analog converter.
I also did not have enough bandwith on the bus to the DAC.
I needed 90% duty cycle, had 5% or so, because of software servicing of the too small output register
._.
User avatar
Cornflakes_91
Admiral
 
Posts: 8928
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:53 am
Location: Austria

PreviousNext

Return to Polls



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests