Return to “Polls”

What programming/scripting languages have you used to write real programs?

APL
BASIC (any flavor)
Total votes: 41 (9%)
COBOL
Total votes: 5 (1%)
C
Total votes: 49 (11%)
C++
Total votes: 56 (13%)
C#
Total votes: 34 (8%)
D
FORTH
FORTRAN
Total votes: 5 (1%)
Java
Total votes: 65 (15%)
JavaScript
Total votes: 39 (9%)
LISP
Total votes: 7 (2%)
Lua
Total votes: 18 (4%)
Objective-C
Total votes: 3 (1%)
Perl
Total votes: 11 (3%)
PHP
Total votes: 29 (7%)
Prolog
Total votes: 6 (1%)
Python
Total votes: 51 (12%)
Ruby
Total votes: 10 (2%)
Scheme
Total votes: 3 (1%)
Total votes: 435
Re: Programming Experience

The only problem with things where we talk about our epic achievements, is that we can be all like "Yeah, I created this awesome thing" and people just look at you and say "Limit Theory" and then you're all :(

It's a little humbling knowing that no matter how epic or awesome the stuff we've created is, we're doing it on a forum where a single person is raising the bar that a single person can do. :lol:

Still, awesome thread is awesome. :mrgreen:
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

Went to computer camp as a kid, learned a bit of BASIC for my C64,
never went further than some type in programs in the back of the comodore magiziene.
Later in life, I learned a bit of AutoCAD LISP programing, nothing fancy,
little more than string together some commands.
"A sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
- Arthur C. Clarke

I noticed RPG was missing from the list. But that was in college 35+ years ago so it probably doesn't count any more.
Cowards die many times before their deaths, the valiant never taste of death but once. Of all the wonders that I have seen, it seem to me most strange, that men should fear, seeing that death, a necessary end, will come when it will come.

FormalMoss wrote::( You didn't include DOS Batch scripts.
Why, yes, that's true.

:)
FormalMoss wrote:Edit: Oh, and I did use Modula 2 in college many many moons ago.
I taught myself Modula-2 on my Amiga 1000 (possibly around the same time), just to decide for myself whether it was less prissy than Pascal.

My recollection is that it was grudgingly, ever-so-slightly more willing to try to be a language that was actually usable for writing real programs in the real world. Not nearly enough so for my personal taste, though.

You'll notice that Pascal is not on this list, either. ;)

I'm joking a little bit here, but my purpose in excluding some languages was not to be rude, truly. I really did feel I needed to try to limit it to 20 possible choices, and to include some less common but still practical languages. If not every language made the cut, I hope no one takes it as a personal affront. That wasn't my intention.

Flatfingers wrote: You'll notice that Pascal is not on this list, either. ;)

I'm joking a little bit here, but my purpose in excluding some languages was not to be rude, truly. I really did feel I needed to try to limit it to 20 possible choices, and to include some less common but still practical languages. If not every language made the cut, I hope no one takes it as a personal affront.
I feel it is a personal affront. Let's see:
  • Pascal is the name of my son,
  • Pascal as a language (and as a son :)) was created in Switzerland,
  • Pascal was designed in my university as a teaching tool for learning good programming practice. You were initially not supposed to take it seriously.
  • MacOS and Adobe Photoshop were written in this language. At the time people were still staring at a blinking dot on a black DOS screen (while being happy that the screen was not yet blue).
  • Pascal puts a lot of pressure to be on the list,
  • You should believe in Pascal because the famous bet proves it.
So yeah, it looks like a personal affront!!!!

:lol:

Flatfingers wrote:Now that we know LTSL has been supplanted by Python as the scripting language of choice for Limit Theory, I thought I might bump this poll to refresh it.
Thanks Flat.
Wow, two years on and I'm now an excellent support engineer with my DOS batch scripting skills.
May as well blow my horn here, no-one else I know has even the capacity to understand the awesomeness; :ugeek:
  • - created a DOS batch script to send multiple files to 180 PCs, in 43 locations throughout Ireland.
    - implemented a solution similar to how SCCM deploys packages, except my script works over a low-bandwidth (1 Mb leased line), where it takes 1 hour to copy 100 Mbytes.
    - install files can be sent via a scheduled task to 43 stores directly, and then run as a remote script on these 43 PCs (simultaneously) to update the files on the PCs in it's local subnet only.
    - the amount of reports and error checking/validation required to undertake this is stupendously massive, but has resulted in achieving the installations of project software on 120 Retail Store PCs in 24 man hours (by one person)
## Sanity check
Trying to get back into the normal groove of "start work at 9am" after working crazy hours this week (10pm to 6am).
Just looking for a "congrats" from anyone, as no-one in work appears to understand the gravitas of it all :D

Update to Skills:
- Learning Python (I just updated the poll on this one)
Now that everyone knows Python is the new "LTSL", will we see a change in the poll results?
Will Python slip up to Number 2? :)

My sig below has lots of links for learning Python.
:D
YAY PYTHON \o/

In Josh We Trust
-=326.3827=-

Online Now