Return to “Polls”

What programming/scripting languages have you used to write real programs?

APL
BASIC (any flavor)
Total votes: 41 (9%)
COBOL
Total votes: 5 (1%)
C
Total votes: 49 (11%)
C++
Total votes: 56 (13%)
C#
Total votes: 34 (8%)
D
FORTH
FORTRAN
Total votes: 5 (1%)
Java
Total votes: 65 (15%)
JavaScript
Total votes: 39 (9%)
LISP
Total votes: 7 (2%)
Lua
Total votes: 18 (4%)
Objective-C
Total votes: 3 (1%)
Perl
Total votes: 11 (3%)
PHP
Total votes: 29 (7%)
Prolog
Total votes: 6 (1%)
Python
Total votes: 51 (12%)
Ruby
Total votes: 10 (2%)
Scheme
Total votes: 3 (1%)
Total votes: 435
Programming Experience

Now that Josh has released some details of his Limit Theory Scripting Language (LTSL), and begun the language wars have :D, it occurs to me that it might be useful to get a survey of the programming languages with which the potential modders in this forum are familiar.

The point of this, as always, is not a surreptitious attempt to argue for or against any of Josh's design choices. In this case, it's to get a better idea of the experience that people will bring to using LTSL as Josh has implemented it.

When answering, try to include just languages you've actually used, not just studied.

I'm sorry if some newer languages didn't fit into the number of options available here. But I had to leave room for a few retro-computing options for the coding grognards who want to brag a little bit. ;)
Re: Programming Experience

For older people like me, who began with Basic because the commodore vic20 and 64 we're using a basic interface, there are some key languages missing:
- assembly: the language real programmer had to use to get things moving, of course specific to a given processor hardware,
- Pascal, that was not only the best structured language but the native language for acces to the MacOS ROM functions (of course you could access them with any languages, but the doc was in Pascal)
- I personally wrote my larges software in Matlab, as a scientific language, but many colleagues were strong in Mathematica.

But real men use PERL, of course.

:ugeek:

Haskell almost made the cut. APL won. That choice was possibly a mistake on my part.

Assembler didn't make it because there isn't just one -- every one is its own language (because it's specific to the target processor).

Pascal didn't make it because it's not a real language. Also, my Real Programmers bias is showing.

Also also, when Og the Caveman first put two things in a list, all Morg the Other Caveman could say was, "Mnuggh uur hngh!" which translates more or less to "Your list is completely useless as you have failed to include this other thing of interest to me."

True story.

I'm not a programmer or a modder...
The language I'm most experienced in is TCL. Besides that I can express most things I want to do with Python. I also tinkered a bit with lua, which was a language I needed to get used to.
I was planning to learn Perl (as a replacement for python) and C, but that got backtracked because of life and the need to eat. :)

That being said, the hardest part for me to learn anything is finding a good resource. For modding specifically I really need some example scripts and a decent overview of the API that's available.
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

I know two different languages I've written programs with that aren't on this list (but they're lesser-known and don't honestly belong with the big shots). :lol: There should've been an "I don't program" option, though.

I chose Java, Python, Basic, and C++. I'm guessing Basic covers Visual Basic. I technically only wrote a couple small programs with C++, but I guess it still counts, right? :P (Functional programs that had a real-world application, not a "Hello World" experiment or anything, mind you.)
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Online Now