Return to “Polls”

How many times do you press F5 per monthly update?

[-] I don't care about monthly updates...
Total votes: 1 (2%)
[0] What does this F5 button do again?
Total votes: 11 (20%)
[1-10] Monthly updates aren't that important to me.
Total votes: 5 (9%)
[11-100] I only start spamming F5 when Josh says he's writing the KS update.
Total votes: 13 (24%)
[101-1000] Time moves faster when I press F5!
Total votes: 12 (22%)
[1001-9000] One... more... time...
Total votes: 3 (6%)
[9001+] I break keyboards for my monthly update fix!
Total votes: 9 (17%)
Total votes: 54
Re: How many times do you press F5 at the end of the month?

Victor Tombs wrote:
DWMagus wrote:
Victor Tombs wrote:I've got four trackballs connected to four PC's. Two are high end laptops the other two are my black beast gaming rig and my rebuilt P4 beige brick.
...and only ONE internet connection. I bet if you turn them all on at the same time, your internet slows to a crawl. ;)

j/k Victor. And I am one for trackballs as well, so I hear you on that.
*chuckle* Yes, just the one internet connection, DW. :P They all have specific uses and there is never a need to turn on more than two of them at the same time. The laptops are a bit of a farce really as they are used as desktop PC's. They are both on docking stations and are never moved from those fixed positions. I don't need to open them as they are attached to large monitors and have wireless connections to keyboard, trackball and sound system. The black beast isn't the beast it was but it's still handling any game I play with no problems. I'll be doing a "from scratch" build for Star Citizen and the current black beast will replace the P4 which is destined to find a home with all my previous builds.

I'm really pleased to hear that you like trackballs, DW. :thumbup: They are not for everyone but I find them to be easy and extremely accurate to use. :D
I got my start with Command and Conquer. Trackballs just made more sense to me for war games. Then I got myself a Razor Nostromo for my left hand. The thumb hat switch works well for map scroll in games like that. (I was surprised to see one of those make a cameo in the movie Ender's Game)
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

Victor Tombs wrote:That looks interesting, DW. I've never considered using a gaming keypad with a trackball. It certainly looks like it would be more comfortable than a full keyboard. Is it a good experience with open world games like Skyrim? :angel:
The keys are completely mappable to anything else, and does have modifier keys (for ones like ctrl, alt, etc), but I usually use it on games like Diablo or MOBAs (DOTA/League of Legends) or when I can simplify keyboard commands down. When I can use it, it's great.

I'm honestly considering modding something like one of those into a trackball so I can have more buttons on my mouse so I can ditch a keyboard entirely if possible. I wanted one of those Razor Naga mice, but I don't want to give up my trackball.
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

DWMagus wrote:
Victor Tombs wrote:That looks interesting, DW. I've never considered using a gaming keypad with a trackball. It certainly looks like it would be more comfortable than a full keyboard. Is it a good experience with open world games like Skyrim? :angel:
The keys are completely mappable to anything else, and does have modifier keys (for ones like ctrl, alt, etc), but I usually use it on games like Diablo or MOBAs (DOTA/League of Legends) or when I can simplify keyboard commands down. When I can use it, it's great.

I'm honestly considering modding something like one of those into a trackball so I can have more buttons on my mouse so I can ditch a keyboard entirely if possible. I wanted one of those Razor Naga mice, but I don't want to give up my trackball.
You've piqued my interest now, DW. It sounds like a worthy addition to my peripherals. Thank you for your time, my friend. :D

It wouldn't be possible for me to give up my trackballs, they are almost part of me after all these years. But I wouldn't mind losing the full size keyboard on my gaming rig. I will now gather more information concerning their use before I turn on introspective mode to make a decision. :D

:lol: Thanks, Talvieno. :thumbup: You've confirmed it's something I won't be needing. :lol:

Cornflakes_91 wrote:https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/70 ... of-awesome

DWMagus, you seem to want to have a new input device ^^
This isn't a trackball, and it looks VERY uncomfortable. I'm not a fan of not being able to rest my forearms on something while I use the device.

Not to mention, there's another thing about body mechanics that you have to pay attention to; the larger the muscle, the more energy and time it takes to move it. This was something that my percussion instructors always stressed when I was playing. It's why you don't play with your forearms, and you want to just use your wrists. You get better speed, control, and form.

With a trackball, while the learning curve and muscle learning is difficult, I could outplay any of my friends in twitch shooters because they move their whole hand and most of their arm to move their mouse on their massive mouse pads while I'm just moving my thumb.

Cornflakes_91 wrote:Now im thinking about a way to make a joystick-trackball hybrid for that thing :think:

Maybe a hemispherical touchpad with low-friction surface...?
If you figure out a design, I would completely interested in trying to fab something like that from a cheap joystick and some plastics.

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
DWMagus wrote:
If you figure out a design, I would completely interested in trying to fab something like that from a cheap joystick and some plastics.
if we make it i'd use a strain gauge instead of a repurposed joystick.

no moving parts that can get out of alignment/calibration
I only really know joysticks. I owned some arcade cabinets and rebuilt optical analog and complete digital ones enough times to know them like the back of my hand easier than anything else.

Online Now