Return to “Polls”

How many times do you press F5 per monthly update?

[-] I don't care about monthly updates...
Total votes: 1 (2%)
[0] What does this F5 button do again?
Total votes: 11 (20%)
[1-10] Monthly updates aren't that important to me.
Total votes: 5 (9%)
[11-100] I only start spamming F5 when Josh says he's writing the KS update.
Total votes: 13 (24%)
[101-1000] Time moves faster when I press F5!
Total votes: 12 (22%)
[1001-9000] One... more... time...
Total votes: 3 (6%)
[9001+] I break keyboards for my monthly update fix!
Total votes: 9 (17%)
Total votes: 54
Re: How many times do you press F5 at the end of the month?

DWMagus wrote:
I only really know joysticks. I owned some arcade cabinets and rebuilt optical analog and complete digital ones enough times to know them like the back of my hand easier than anything else.
i'd like to avoid optical encoders and potentiometers, as they, as i already said, can get out of alignment if their mount is not stable enough.

a strain gauge consists of 4 metal strips per axis that are glued onto a piece of plastic or metal that serves as your joystick, nothing that can get out of alignment, nothing that can break

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
DWMagus wrote:
I only really know joysticks. I owned some arcade cabinets and rebuilt optical analog and complete digital ones enough times to know them like the back of my hand easier than anything else.
i'd like to avoid optical encoders and potentiometers, as they, as i already said, can get out of alignment if their mount is not stable enough.

a strain gauge consists of 4 metal strips per axis that are glued onto a piece of plastic or metal that serves as your joystick, nothing that can get out of alignment, nothing that can break
It's strange, I've never had an issue with the 49-way jamma compliant joysticks. I've had more problems with pretty much everything else. Of course they're not true analog, just 7 positions along each axis.
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

DWMagus wrote: It's strange, I've never had an issue with the 49-way jamma compliant joysticks. I've had more problems with pretty much everything else. Of course they're not true analog, just 7 positions along each axis.
i already had a couple of joysticks fail because the mechanical coupling between the sensors and the casing failed, leading to unusable axis :(

but i'd guess we could just use only the touchpad and emulate either trackball or stick from there, kinda like the steam controllers

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
DWMagus wrote: It's strange, I've never had an issue with the 49-way jamma compliant joysticks. I've had more problems with pretty much everything else. Of course they're not true analog, just 7 positions along each axis.
i already had a couple of joysticks fail because the mechanical coupling between the sensors and the casing failed, leading to unusable axis :(

but i'd guess we could just use only the touchpad and emulate either trackball or stick from there, kinda like the steam controllers
That's why I liked the arcade ones. Those were actually optical for their calibrations rather than mechanical. The mechanical side was still your standard spring-based ones though and those hold up like a rock.
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

DWMagus wrote:
That's why I liked the arcade ones. Those were actually optical for their calibrations rather than mechanical. The mechanical side was still your standard spring-based ones though and those hold up like a rock.

Well, a strain gauge based one doesnt actually move, it just measures the force you apply against it.

For an outsider who doesnt look at your muscle activity you just control it "by magic" so to say.

Nothing that moves, nothing that can break

Online Now