Return to “Polls”

What input device will you use to play Limit Theory?

Console controller
Total votes: 10 (13%)
Joystick
Total votes: 13 (17%)
Mouse and keyboard
Total votes: 49 (65%)
Myo or similar hand tracker
(No votes)
Trackball
Total votes: 1 (1%)
Other (please describe)
Total votes: 2 (3%)
Total votes: 75
Game Input Devices

Comments in the Elite: Dangerous thread about which input hardware is best suited to it got me thinking about Limit Theory.

Considering just the game input devices you currently own or are likely to purchase, which one will be your first choice for playing Limit Theory? (Assume that Josh is magically able to support any input device, and that each interface will have equivalent functionality.)

I appreciate that some people may have several preferences -- please choose the one you are most likely to actually use for playing Limit Theory.
Last edited by Flatfingers on Wed May 28, 2014 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Re: Game Input Devices

I had to choose "Other" Flat as I can't be sure until I experience the beauty of the Beta in LT.

I played the LTP with trackball and keyboard and the experience was superb (the same was not the case in E:D) but Josh mentioned he was enjoying using a controller during his "play" research with the latest iterations of LT so I will give it a go with both trackball and controller. To be honest, in E:D I've had more fun using a joystick, so I will certainly give all of these devices a fair chance to impress me in Beta LT. :angel:

Ultimately given the amount of options beyond simply flying around, I expect keyboard and mouse will turn out best.

But, Josh has insisted that a gamepad works great, and I do love a gamepad when it works great, so I'll likely be trying that out first and then only switching to kb + m if it proves insufficient for my needs.

N810 wrote:I think I would do well with the Steam Controller... if they ever finish the darn thing. :shifty:
meanwhile... probaly keyboard and mouse. ;)
Sadly it appears Steam Machines and their controllers have been delayed until 2015.

So I would have said Steam Controller. Yet for now I think I will just invest in either a Xbox 360 or Xbone controller (I am curious about if it's improvements will translate well into PC gaming once they let loose drivers) The good part about the 360 controller is most modern PC games seem to support it.

A mouse or trackball will likely be a requirement towards endgame for me tho. As I will have to handle multiple fleets.
Etsu wrote:I'm not sure. I will try with the gamepad first, and then with mouse and keyboard. (I don't have a keyboard right now, but still. :mrgreen:)
Wut?

Star Citizen's "Dogfighting Module" was released today.

I mention this here because most of the comment I've seen about it have focused on the input device -- and specifically on whether joystick support is secondary to a good feel for mouse+keyboard.

The comments to the Rock Paper Shotgun story about the Dogfighting Module have been dominated by debates over the various input devices... hence my including a link to that discussion here.

That debate highlights just how important it is for a game that includes first-person space combat to get the feel right for multiple very different input devices....

Online Now