Return to “Polls”

What has you the most excited to play Limit Theory?

The AI, or the way the universe feels alive
Total votes: 27 (18%)
The fact that it's completely procedural
Total votes: 15 (10%)
The beautiful, atmospheric graphics
Total votes: 23 (16%)
Building and research
Total votes: 6 (4%)
The sandbox gameplay
Total votes: 11 (7%)
The procedural history/The way the universe evolves
Total votes: 10 (7%)
The ability to command your own fleets
Total votes: 7 (5%)
The market/trade mechanics
(No votes)
The UI
Total votes: 1 (1%)
The fact that it's a space game
The information mechanics
Total votes: 2 (1%)
Pirates and illegal activity
The combat gameplay
Total votes: 5 (3%)
The factions, and everything that goes with them
Total votes: 6 (4%)
The modding potential
Total votes: 11 (7%)
Colonies and planets (and potentially civilians)
The mission system
Total votes: 2 (1%)
Warp tunnels (whatever they may be)
Total votes: 5 (3%)
Other (please specify for when I update this next)
Total votes: 147
Re: What has you most excited? (updated)

I chose:

- The beautiful, atmospheric graphics
- The infinite universe, or the universe structure in general
- The AI, or the way the universe feels alive

I think that "The infinite universe" and "The fact that it's completely procedural" are interchangeable in this case.

I had chosen UI but recent changes to it don't let me know how the final result could be. Everything looks like regular windows now. I hope that the player has something to say about it.
"Playing" is not simply a pastime, it is the primordial basis of imagination and creation. - Hideo Kojima

I'm fairly sure that everything will be very good, if not great. The two main things that dragged me in from the beginning though is the PCG and AI (two of my favorite things in the world). :)

My third vote went to graphics because, you know, the graphics... :drool:
A good plan, violently executed now, is better than a perfect plan next week.

In magenta we trust

Flatfingers wrote:I find it interesting that everyone represented in the Google Trends thing seems to be from Manchester, Singapore, or London.

Is there something about Limit Theory that's especially appealing to non-USAian sensibilities?

I wish we could split up the answers in this poll by location....
LT has no predetermined story, and as a result, no inherent bias toward or against particular groups of people. It is going to be Anglocentric, since Josh's first language is (I'm assuming) English, but English has become the lingua franca.

When you look at other games, in this instance, Star Citizen, you'll notice that the primary human faction is fairly representative of the United States, even though it's supposed to be an Earth-as-a-whole representation. I don't know enough about X Rebirth or Elite Dangerous to make a judgement on either of those.

But cross-genre, looking at military-themed FPSs (among other things), there's a significant favoritism toward western nations, particularly the USA.

But Limit Theory might also be appealing because it has no avatars either. The players can imagine themselves in whatever image they like, without having to conform to the limited number of visages that various sliders and options can provide. Limit Theory doesn't ask you to project onto a player character -- you simply are the player character, and as a result, there are no predilections for any particular races, nationalities, genders, or other identifying factors.

Hell, if you're like Thymine, you can easily see your character as a robot. There are no boundaries simply because the game doesn't rely on, or even have input for, that kind of information.
Shameless Self-Promotion 0/ magenta 0/ Forum Rules & Game FAQ

DWMagus wrote:
Victor Tombs wrote:It's Freelancer 2, that's all I ever wanted. I couldn't be more excited. :D
^ QFT
I'm glad you think so DW. :D
ThymineC wrote:Freelancer 2 + EVE Online. :)
I'm sticking with what I said Thymine. I am somewhat sceptical of the Eve Online aspects of the game. I didn't come on board for the Eve Online stuff. I still want to see those aspects of the original Freelancer which I know, or suspect, will be in the final game. ;) :) The re-vamped "trade lane" system and the fleshed out interactions between NPC's and the player at a more personal level are notable examples.
Grumblesaur wrote:But Limit Theory might also be appealing because it has no avatars either.
Has Josh confirmed this Grumblesaur? I have asked on several occasions if this was a fact but still await a definitive answer. It remains one of my unanswered question on the EC forums. Does anything that Josh has done recently preclude their use? I want friends, comrades and those even closer to be easily recognisable by at least some shiny symbols. :) I would have preferred true character representations but I could settle for this. :)

Victor Tombs wrote:
Has Josh confirmed this Grumblesaur? I have asked on several occasions if this was a fact but still await a definitive answer. It remains one of my unanswered question on the EC forums. Does anything that Josh has done recently preclude their use? I want friends, comrades and those even closer to be easily recognisable by at least some shiny symbols. :) I would have preferred true character representations but I could settle for this. :)
Well, we're not going to be walking around on foot. At most we'll have an icon or headshot, I'm thinking, but I doubt it.
Shameless Self-Promotion 0/ magenta 0/ Forum Rules & Game FAQ

Grumblesaur wrote:Well, we're not going to be walking around on foot. At most we'll have an icon or headshot, I'm thinking, but I doubt it.
:lol: The lack of walking around on foot was a major blow for me but I know that will eventually happen if Josh truly wants his total Star Wars experience (and we know he does). I can wait for future LT games for that. ;) I do hope you are wrong concerning the icons. I am fairly confident that headshots are a "no" with Mr Parnell. I'm sure he has confirmed that somewhere but he was toying with the idea of elaborate icons in earlier days. Perhaps that's something else that has fallen by the wayside. :(

Etsu wrote:I chose:

- The beautiful, atmospheric graphics
- The infinite universe, or the universe structure in general
- The AI, or the way the universe feels alive

I think that "The infinite universe" and "The fact that it's completely procedural" are interchangeable in this case.

I had chosen UI but recent changes to it don't let me know how the final result could be. Everything looks like regular windows now. I hope that the player has something to say about it.
I wouldn't quite say that they're interchangeable, really. The size of the universe, and the fact that everything in the game - down to the weapons - are completely procedural, are two very different things. I also left in "the universe structure in general" in case somebody wanted to take that as wormholes, asteroid field clumps, etc.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Thanks for the insight, Grumblesaur. It really was just an "I'm curious about ..." question, not a veiled complaint.

Nice to get other perspectives, and I suspect you may be right on all counts.

On avatars... this is me not holding my breath. :D Animating mobile characters adds a lot of time to any project, even when you don't have Josh's dedication to getting "how to represent people" sufficiently right.

Heads might be easier, but there you're probably still looking at needing to do emotional design, and maybe lip-syncing, unless most players would be OK looking at static mannequin heads. Which I doubt.

There was some forum talk about procedurally generated personal/factional icons. But I don't recall ever seeing an official "confirmed for LT v1.0" statement on that. It seems like a useful idea, and it's less hairy than representing people, but it's not something we've been shown yet, sooooo....

Online Now