Return to “Polls”

What level of immersion would you like to see in Limit Theory?

Once I click the installer, I will become a part of the game until I get a game over and the application uninstalls itself from my brain.
Total votes: 4 (5%)
Menus? From the moment I launch the game, I should believe I exist as nothing more than an object inside the game.
Total votes: 2 (3%)
Only the bare necessities for me! (New game, Save/Load Universe, etc)
Total votes: 15 (20%)
I want a careful balance between immersion and not, even if I may not know what that looks like.
Total votes: 24 (32%)
If you're flying, you're flying, but everything else should be menus. (RTS-view menus, menus to handle everything while docked, etc)
Total votes: 13 (18%)
Immersion? I want my menus! This is a game afterall.
Total votes: 3 (4%)
Limit Theory? I thought this was Menu Theory. Where's my menu-on-menu hardcore combat? (I guess submenu-on-submenu is okay if you're into that sick sort of thing)
(No votes)
I really don't care, as long as LT is awesome! (No preference)
Total votes: 13 (18%)
Total votes: 74
Level of Immersion

Alright, so this is something that has been in the background of many discussions, but nothing outright is asking it.

What is the level of immersion you would like to see in LT? Please keep in mind that the game covers many aspects from an RTS to Flight Simulator, to even an economy simulator.

Feel free to come up with ideas to help support the mode of play you want, but also realize that this thread is more for your thoughts and opinions rather than suggesting what the game should actually be--a barometer, if you will, of what the community wants/prefers.

As this is more of a sliding scale than concrete options, I opted to not have an 'Other' choice. Think of options 2-6 (and 8) as a range for how much immersion you want.

(Yeah, I know there are a couple joke ones in there, but I had to poke fun at both camps. :P )
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.
Re: Level of Immersion

Click open, possible loading screen, main menu, and after that, I'm fully immersed, which will end when I either die (in-game), or I choose to stop playing for now. Settings menu, of course. And who cares about whether there will be menus, because they are nodal.
In space, no one will hear you scream. #262626
I've never played a space sim. Ever.
Vos estis tan limes.

Behemoth wrote:Click open, possible loading screen, main menu, and after that, I'm fully immersed, which will end when I either die (in-game), or I choose to stop playing for now. Settings menu, of course. And who cares about whether there will be menus, because they are nodal.
Aye, the existence of menus won't hurt immersion.

Immersion is crucial.
Last edited by ThymineC on Mon May 12, 2014 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Behemoth wrote:Click open, possible loading screen, main menu, and after that, I'm fully immersed, which will end when I either die (in-game), or I choose to stop playing for now. Settings menu, of course. And who cares about whether there will be menus, because they are nodal.
Just had to fix that for you.

Also: I really liked how Josh was trying to make the menus look like a holographic projection on a glass cockpit window, a number of updates back. That's the kind of balance I'd love. I voted the middle one, though I know very much what I'd love it to look like.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Talvieno wrote:

Also: I really liked how Josh was trying to make the menus look like a holographic projection on a glass cockpit window, a number of updates back. That's the kind of balance I'd love.
:lol:

:eh:

NO GLASS COCKPIT WINDOWS.
I hope I have made my point clear. Glass cockpits are the second most stupid things to put on a spaceship after a strutted glass cockpit windows.
In space, no one will hear you scream. #262626
I've never played a space sim. Ever.
Vos estis tan limes.

Behemoth wrote:
Talvieno wrote:

Also: I really liked how Josh was trying to make the menus look like a holographic projection on a glass cockpit window, a number of updates back. That's the kind of balance I'd love.
:lol:

:eh:

NO GLASS COCKPIT WINDOWS.
I hope I have made my point clear. Glass cockpits are the second most stupid things to put on a spaceship after a strutted glass cockpit windows.
Yeah glass cockpits are silly, just like meatsack people flying about in spaceships (in the absence of error-free mind transcription).

I'm usually pretty good at thinking up plausible explanations for odd things that at least keep myself happy. Not for glass cockpits, though, that's just too ridiculous.

Talvieno wrote:Too late, Josh already said it was glass in the update I spoke of, if I recall correctly. :P
No, I'm pretty sure he spoke about "Glass UI" or whatever, which is just a name he gave that to a UI that just looks pretty and I guess glass-like. That's a stylistic choice and we can guess that they use HUDs like that for psychological reasons, but there's not actually going to be any cockpits made of glass.

ThymineC wrote:
Talvieno wrote:Too late, Josh already said it was glass in the update I spoke of, if I recall correctly. :P
No, I'm pretty sure he spoke about "Glass UI" or whatever, which is just a name he gave that to a UI that just looks pretty and I guess glass-like. That's a stylistic choice and we can guess that they use HUDs like that for psychological reasons, but there's not actually going to be any cockpits made of glass.
Ahhhhhhhh, all right then. Well, anyway, that's the kind of thing I'd like to see; I thought it looked pretty. I could just as easily imagine it as being an image on a curved screen in front of where I'm sitting, but it felt immersive to me.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Idunno wrote:It's not glass, it's transparent metal :squirrel: .
Why not just "The walls are lined with high-res TV screens"? How can a metal be transparent when you have a free sea of electrons that are roaming around, intercepting photons and re-transmitting them in a random direction? :? With TV screens, you can overlay important information as well.

Talvieno wrote: The cockpit walls lined with high-res touchscreens? I love sci-fi.
?? We have that now...almost...
Challenging your assumptions is good for your health, good for your business, and good for your future. Stay skeptical but never undervalue the importance of a new and unfamiliar perspective.
Imagination Fertilizer
Beauty may not save the world, but it's the only thing that can

Online Now