Return to “Polls”

How Long Should NPCs Live?

Infinitely long (unless killed) -- NPCs are all adults and never age.
Total votes: 61 (60%)
As long as real-world humans -- NPCs age at the same rate that you do.
Total votes: 15 (15%)
1 year of play -- NPCs live a long time, but will eventually die of old age.
Total votes: 11 (11%)
1 month of play -- NPCs are born, take a week to mature, and get three weeks of activity.
Total votes: 10 (10%)
1 week of play -- NPCs grow for one day, then expire several real-time days later.
Total votes: 5 (5%)
1 hour of play -- NPCs are born and die at an evolutionary visible rate.
(No votes)
Total votes: 102
How Long Should NPCs Live?

It seems possible that some of the non-player characters (NPCs) in a game of Limit Theory will be people of some sort.

If so, it's not unreasonable to think they'll have lifespans. This poll is intended to get your opinion on how long those lifespans should be, relative to how long you think you'll be playing any individual game of Limit Theory.

Would you prefer to see the same NPCs throughout the entire span of a game?

Or should NPCs change very frequently?

Or something in between?

Note: These rates are assuming you play Limit Theory for an hour or two every other night. If you play more or less often, NPC lifespans would lengthen or shorten accordingly.

Comments on your choices are welcome!
Re: How Long Should NPCs Live?

Gazz wrote:In Flottilla you live 7 or 14 turns, depending on game mode.

Then you die.
Game over.

The life span of NPC would also apply to you...
Do you want that for LT? I don't.

Vos estis tan limes.
In space, no one will hear you scream. #262626
I've never played a space sim. Ever.
Vos estis tan limes.

Interesting question, but I feel pretty strongly about no death by age. Remember the human / AI symmetry :) Human players will not be dying of old age in the game, so is it fair to subject AI players to that penalty? (Or were you speaking of 'workers' rather than AI players?)
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

The only way I could be in favor of immortal NPC’s is if they experienced personality drift both gradual and punctuated. Simply put, I am strongly against static decision making parameters for any given NPC; I feel that even with all the dynamism in place, static decision making will lead to fairly rigid factions and universal structures, that those in power will generally remain in power by virtue of how well their personality fits the job, even if the particular size of their domain grows or shrinks.

I think that it makes more sense for npcs to change with time in their most fundamental personality traits. This could take place either organically, as they succeed or fail in their projects (the pirates in #16 will quickly give up piracy and wont want to return to it if they are absolute failures at it) or it could take place in a statistical chance as they encounter new people and places. (Say a 0.01% chance that encountering a trader slightly inclines you to give up research and become a trader).

I also think that even then there should be a background statistical change in personality as well. Lets say that there is a 0.0001% chance for every tick of the game that a base AEGIS value changes in any direction by 0.01%, a 0.0000001% chance that it changes by 0.1%, a 0.0000000001% chance that it changes by 1%, and a 0.0000000000001% chance that it changes by 10%. This can simulate disillusionment, mid-life crises, sudden irrational urges in life, getting your act together, or whatnot. It may not be a big deal if a pirate feels slightly less aggressive, but if suddenly the Faction leader of the super-powerful Deathdealers wants to go off and play Marco Polo, it could have serious consequences for the faction. I also suppose that such a likelihood could be given to the seed as well, resulting in some universes that have beings much more likely to stay where they are, and others much more scatterbrained on average.

However, barring personality change with time and experience, I would not want npc’s to live longer than a month of game time to allow for this to change.
Challenging your assumptions is good for your health, good for your business, and good for your future. Stay skeptical but never undervalue the importance of a new and unfamiliar perspective.
Imagination Fertilizer
Beauty may not save the world, but it's the only thing that can

I voted for "one month of play" - it's not a limit you're likely to hit unless you're specifically aiming for it. I'm not sure what the point would be, though.

edit:
JoshParnell wrote:Interesting question, but I feel pretty strongly about no death by age. Remember the human / AI symmetry :) Human players will not be dying of old age in the game, so is it fair to subject AI players to that penalty? (Or were you speaking of 'workers' rather than AI players?)
Very nice point... I was speaking of workers, but even so, this makes more sense.
Last edited by Talvieno on Sat May 10, 2014 10:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

JoshParnell wrote:Interesting question, but I feel pretty strongly about no death by age. Remember the human / AI symmetry :) Human players will not be dying of old age in the game, so is it fair to subject AI players to that penalty? (Or were you speaking of 'workers' rather than AI players?)
Bear in mind that it's possible to break player-NPC parity without breaking player-NPC parity. ;) So we could make the player immortal and NPCs grow old and die if we wished, and still claim that the player is treated the same as NPCs.

However, I'm happy with the player and NPCs not dying of old age, since none of my ideas rely on that happening and I don't much care for the idea.

Online Now