Return to “Polls”

Should worker NPC's be Humans or Drones or an option for both?

Human
Total votes: 14 (15%)
Drone
Total votes: 16 (17%)
Whichever the Player Prefers
Total votes: 62 (67%)
Total votes: 92
SAVE THE HUMANS!!

In one of the most recent Dev Logs Josh unveiled the idea of making the worker NPC's androids or less than human level robots in order to avoid moral dilemmas revolving around Human Trafficking and Slavery I'm guessing. I REALLY DON'T LIKE THAT. at least not as the only way to go. Limit Theory will be a vast and wonderful place, but with so few humans it will feel very lonely. If the majority of NPC's are mindless drones instead of human workers it will just feel so.... empty. and sterile. I know it seems kind of nit-picky but I believe that it is important to keep this universe saturated with humans instead of just robots, even if they can't act on their own or talk to you. Knowing your faction/fleet/group or whatever is more than cold mindless drones will add an element of immersion and interest that is important! I want to feel the significance of having fleets and sending ships off to war- I want to feel like I have a connection to my NPC's. I believe that with some creative thinking a Hire/fire or Morale aspect can be added to govern the addition and subtraction of units who are removed or leave your employ, which would avoid slavery concerns. If anybody else agrees that LT should be filled, or should at least be understood to be filled, with humans then sound off in a reply and work to let Josh know that some of his fans would like to see a natural and organic group of underlings who would help us in our LT universes. :thumbup:

To be clear I don't think Josh should change his NPC worker/thinker construction. I just would rather they weren't all designated as robots just because they are low level AI. Why can't our low level AI be a man called John instead of a Robot?v
Last edited by [Bryce] on Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Re: SAVE THE HUMANS!!

Robots/Weak AIs please. I'd want this game not to have any humans in it. And they are not mindless, just have no own goals or the ability to manage assets.
In space, no one will hear you scream. #262626
I've never played a space sim. Ever.
Vos estis tan limes.

^ I understand where you're coming from, but I just remember how I enjoyed seeing pilots names associated with the ships in Josh's early videos. It gave the impression that he was leading a real group. I wasn't saying that I want them acting independently.

Well part of playing a game is all in your head. For me my perception of what's happening is just as important. When I play Risk I don't aim to cover as many countries as I can with little cubes, I aim to conquer the world with my armies. Its all in my head, but the best games are the ones that engage the imagination. That's why I would hate to see all underlings be robotic. It would do a lot to limit how the game feels. Not how it works though.

True. I just made this poll to see if anybody else shared my preference. And I think that everyone will see this differently and that some people will find this important and others won't. That's why I wouldn't want to see the option of either robots or humans or a mix of both removed in favor of only robots. It'll let somebody down regardless.

To be honest I don't see a huge amount of difference in communication/activity whether it's "robots" or "humans".

Communication is going to be fairly rudimentary whatever happens because it's hard to generate an AI that can have a sensible conversation with a human, let alone 100s of them.

The real difference is going to be in the economic supply chains underpinning them. Robots need different stuff to run than humans do.

[Bryce] wrote:Well part of playing a game is all in your head. For me my perception of what's happening is just as important. When I play Risk I don't aim to cover as many countries as I can with little cubes, I aim to conquer the world with my armies. Its all in my head, but the best games are the ones that engage the imagination. That's why I would hate to see all underlings be robotic. It would do a lot to limit how the game feels. Not how it works though.
That's exactly what I'm saying though, if there's no way to tell if something is a human or a robot then it's up to the player to imagine what the character is.
woops, my bad, everything & anything actually means specific and conformed

According to josh, having some significant fraction of NPCs in a system use a limited AI allows far more NPCs to exist in that space.
I want to see thousands of AI duking it out in battle or thousands of AI swarming around the LT equivalent of a PGC Jita ^_^

Strong AI/Weak AI split is, to be fair, quite clearly the best way to go about this, no question. If it ups the NPC limit per system, I'd suggest this will more than make up for any perceived "quietness" because a lot of them are robots.

I want to see systems swarming with traders and manufacturers from all over the universe, fitting into a complicated web and creating an emergent society. That's what I want.

Online Now