* I don't have an opinion *
Total votes: 9 (5%)
* This poll is unnecessary *
Total votes: 21 (11%)
* See my post for a missing option *
Total votes: 2 (1%)
Total votes: 194
Better LT Polls?

I love LT polls as a quick way of sharing opinions and as a voice for the more silent forum majority :shh:
However, a few poll questions were tricky to interpret (double negations, etc.) and several had a narrow range of options or didn't including my favorite one: I don't care! (or "I don't have an opinion." to avoid a loaded or leading response option :D ).

So, can or should we improve on polling practices and what would be a good poll design? :?:

For this poll, I picked Survey Design Best Practices from SurveyMonkey and expanded on them a bit.

Poll away!
Re: Better LT Polls?

lobosan wrote:I love LT polls as a quick way of sharing opinions and as a voice for the more silent forum majority :shh:
However, a few poll questions were tricky to interpret (double negations, etc.) and several had a narrow range of options or didn't including my favorite one: I don't care! (or "I don't have an opinion." to avoid a loaded or leading response option :D ).

So, can or should we improve on polling practices and what would be a good poll design? :?:

For this poll, I picked Survey Design Best Practices from SurveyMonkey and expanded on them a bit.

Poll away!
Including a "I don't care" option is pointless since it doesn't matter. All the people who are not interested in PC games, or don't own a PC would choose that option if they had a PC. So, if you think about it, "I don't care" should always be the majority regardless of the question.

BFett wrote:Including a "I don't care" option is pointless since it doesn't matter. All the people who are not interested in PC games, or don't own a PC would choose that option if they had a PC. So, if you think about it, "I don't care" should always be the majority regardless of the question.
Actually, I've just been thinking about it and I think an "I don't care" can have value in a poll; in the case that relatively few votes are cast on other options, it would help distinguish between the case of few people having actually seen the poll in the first place in order to vote (in which case the majority might have a very strong opinion on the matter but just not seen the poll to vote), and the case in which the majority really just don't care that much either way.

ThymineC wrote: Actually, I've just been thinking about it and I think an "I don't care" can have value in a poll; in the case that relatively few votes are cast on other options, it would help distinguish between the case of few people having actually seen the poll in the first place in order to vote (in which case the majority might have a very strong opinion on the matter but just not seen the poll to vote), and the case in which the majority really just don't care that much either way.
This is exactly why having an "I don't care" choice in a poll is useful, and it's exactly why politicians don't want one. If apathy counted as a vote, nobody would ever be elected.
Shameless Self-Promotion 0/ magenta 0/ Forum Rules & Game FAQ

Grumblesaur wrote:
ThymineC wrote: Actually, I've just been thinking about it and I think an "I don't care" can have value in a poll; in the case that relatively few votes are cast on other options, it would help distinguish between the case of few people having actually seen the poll in the first place in order to vote (in which case the majority might have a very strong opinion on the matter but just not seen the poll to vote), and the case in which the majority really just don't care that much either way.
This is exactly why having an "I don't care" choice in a poll is useful, and it's exactly why politicians don't want one. If apathy counted as a vote, nobody would ever be elected.
Well, they could still go by plurality if not majority, but yeah.

BFett wrote:To me it's a bit of a paradox. If you don't care then why are you voting in the first place? Because voting means that you care. :idea: :problem:
Because knowing someone doesn't care is important. Otherwise you don't know if someone doesn't think the poll matters to them, or if they weren't aware of the poll.

I don't care means "I don't care about the poll being discussed." which is useful information and is sharing your opinion. It doesn't mean you don't care about your opinion.
woops, my bad, everything & anything actually means specific and conformed

Katawa wrote:
BFett wrote:To me it's a bit of a paradox. If you don't care then why are you voting in the first place? Because voting means that you care. :idea: :problem:
Because knowing someone doesn't care is important. Otherwise you don't know if someone doesn't think the poll matters to them, or if they weren't aware of the poll.

I don't care means "I don't care about the poll being discussed." which is useful information and is sharing your opinion. It doesn't mean you don't care about your opinion.
Why would anyone vote "I don't care" on a poll that they don't care about? It doesn't make any sense!

Anyways, I'll probably stop leaving replays to this topic since it's quickly becoming pointless.

BFett wrote:
Katawa wrote:

Why would anyone vote "I don't care" on a poll that they don't care about? It doesn't make any sense!
It makes perfect sense. Katawa explains it well enough. They can not care about the topic itself, but care about expressing their apathy. It's like trying to convey the idea, "Why is this really important? We should probably focus on more pressing matters than this."

Online Now