Return to “Polls”

Would you like it if you couldn't permanently kill NPCs?

Yes
Total votes: 17 (20%)
No
Total votes: 67 (80%)
Total votes: 84
Re: Would you like it if you couldn't permanently kill NPCs?

Flatfingers wrote:I didn't see that chat. So nothing there can possibly sway me one way or the other.

I'm capable -- as I know others here are -- of looking at this question purely on its own merits.

That doesn't mean some explanation of the different perspectives isn't valuable. It does mean that if there's any personal stuff from chat, there's no need to import it here.
I agree, I actually made it clear to him in the chat that I didn't want it posted and alas here we are. Though therein lies the problem. if you are making a decision based on the merits of the question then you aren't participating in the debate you are participating in a single question. Anyway I am happy to debate and happy to discuss this is neither imo. But oh well lol. It's interesting to see how this community operates.

I believe this question should have been phrased differently. This should be asked hand in hand with the question of permadeath/repawn.

So I think the question should have been the following:

Do you want infinate respawn and with that the very high possibility of having to kill the same NPC multiple times.

Or

Do you want permadeath and by extention only having to kill any NPC once.

I see it this way becaese I believe these points cannot be removed form each other.

The fact of the matter is I don't want to die forever, but I also don't want the NPC to come back (Nor me) with no punishment. I would expect some kind of fee or punishment on the character for dying (Though it would have to be sufficiently easy to escape situations where you might lose more than just your ship).
<Detritus> I went up to my mom and said "hey... do you feel like giving five dollars to black lives matter?" and she laughed and said no :v <Black--Snow> my life does matter though ~~ added by Hema on Jun 11 2020 (2770)

Neandertal wrote:I believe this question should have been phrased differently. This should be asked hand in hand with the question of permadeath/repawn.

So I think the question should have been the following:

Do you want infinate respawn and with that the very high possibility of having to kill the same NPC multiple times.

Or

Do you want permadeath and by extention only having to kill any NPC once.

I see it this way becaese I believe these points cannot be removed form each other.
You are exactly right. In fact when Thymine made it clear on IRC that he was going ahead with posting the poll I semi-rudely suspected and accused him of intentionally phrasing/constructing the question in such a way that it would be without context and thus everyone would 'side' with him. Which turned out to be exactly what he did. This is why I tried to make clear that the context is very important. Without context the 'argument' is entirely one sided.

When I proposed the idea I actually made it clear that I was all for permadeath... AS AN OPTION. A pregame option that you could select. But it could also be incorporated into the 'clone' system just as well. If you selected not to have permadeath then death would carry a penalty of course, but the penalty would be less (or even none) if you paid more for a higher quality clone. The point of contention was solely based on the NPC following the same 'rules' of the player. Meaning if the player had a 'free' clone with penalty which allowed the player to essentially live forever by constantly coming back to life, then the NPC's get the same benefit. Thymine assumed and implied that fact would mean he'd likely and potentially often be facing the same npc's over and over. Which simply is not the case nor is it what I had intended or implied at all. Yes the same NPC would follow the same rules as the player and thus not be 'permanently' dead. However that isn't to say that you as the player ever have to encounter that NPC again. The NPC might decide ship life isn't for them anymore as it carries a significant risk of death and take an office job where you will never encounter them. One disparity between the player and NPC's that cannot really be removed is the fact that NPC's can be assumed to be living in stations behind a desk NOT flying a space ship for you to kill.

One point being that there are solutions to the logic that you might encounter the same NPC you just killed. But that is tackling the possibility of that happening with logic. But more importantly the other point is that the player shouldn't think about it at all. It simply shouldn't be on the players mind. If I kill something I don't think "Oh... gee... how is that death going to be handled? Am I going to encounter that NPC again? Is me killing it pointless?" No... I wouldn't think that. Because even if all of those held true. I still blew up their ship. They are still no longer in front of me causing me trouble. So at the end of the day, the way the question in the poll was phrased completely removes the context of what was being discussed. Now I feel like I've subjected all of you to enough of my ranting and enough of my repeating the same thing in a slightly different fashion. You are all obviously smart enough to come to whatever conclusion suits you best. Whether you think about the question beyond it's lack of context or not. As I said a few times before, with how it is phrased even I would side with Thymine.

For those who have read through my posts, thank you for listening. For those who haven't. Have a :monkey:.

I'm inclined to vote 'yes' to the principle of the idea but am abstaining from voting due to phrasing of the question.
It implies that we couldn't permanently kill NPCs at all, ever. I'm not in favour of this.

I am in favour of the NPCs having access to any clone/backup system that the player has access to, in particular circumstances.
As has been suggested by others, I like the potential gameplay that can arise from certain NPCs taking their deaths personally and devoting their resources to seeking vengeance. I also like the idea of a risky mission into that enemy's home system in order to destroy their clone factory and end them completely.
If every NPC respawns, however, it could make things a little tangled.

NPC cloning is good, if the player has access to it, but clones as a default respawn mechanic for everyone is not. It's worth considering that with today's dev log we see a separation between worker NPCs and manager NPCs / the player. As far as I can tell, those worker NPCs aren't just abstracted crew numbers, but will be pilots of their own craft, simply without goals beyond those of their managers. Autonomous, but not independent.
If that's the case, it's an easy fix - allow a clone system for the player and manager NPCs (though I'll still argue for making it a buy-in system rather than automatic) but not for the worker NPCs, which are going to be the majority of ships you encounter.
If worker NPCs are human, this can be fluffed by saying that cloning is prohibitively expensive. Only the larger players in the universe have access to the resources required - in early-game chances are we won't be able to afford a clone, either. In some respects, It may also help NPC managers to become more cemented as memorable characters and less disposable.

ColdSpiral wrote:I'm inclined to vote 'yes' to the principle of the idea but am abstaining from voting due to phrasing of the question.
It implies that we couldn't permanently kill NPCs at all, ever. I'm not in favour of this.
It's not implying it, it's directly stating it - if you don't want this, then vote "No". TGS's idea was to make it so that NPCs could never be permanently killed. He's right in saying that they could give up at some stage and settle into deskjobs instead, or retreat planetside or to another corner of the galaxy, but there's no guarantee they will do so.

I voted no, I don't think that NPC should be immortal.
It would break immersion for me that when I killed OOM-9 that I would meet him again.
When I kill a NPC he should be dead and not be able to return, meaning that that specific npc with his name, personality, reputation won't come back.
When however NPC connections are implemented I think other NPC's (or the player) should be able to inherit possessions from the NPC that died (and maybe part of the possessions would be destroyed as "tax"), the possessions would be distributed under the agents that have the best reputation with the npc (and if familial relations are implemented, family would get a bigger part); this way the dead NPC itself is destroyed but his assets still (partly) remain in the universe.
LT Wiki | IRC | REKT Wiki
Idiots. Idiots everywhere. ~Dr. Cha0zz

With a split between NPC workers and NPC [chiefs/overlords/TBD], does this alter the perspective at all?

It's worth thinking about other ways that Strong AI NPCs can "leave" the game, too.

What if they could retire? Once they've got to the goals that make them happy, if they're old and tired they could take a pension and go live on the beach on Space Barbados, leaving their corporation to a number two, or just selling the assets on.

Or what if they could simply give up, if their company goes belly up for economic reasons or because someone else pounded them into the dirt, leaving them with nothing?

How would that change things?

TGS wrote:If a literal save/respawn/load system is the one employed then I'm not sure why this thread needed to be made other than Thymine trying to be right through a poll which imo contained a loaded question. Completely foregoing the fact that most of his posts I've seen are extremely detailed and deep, yet this one was oddly sparse and asked a question that any reasonable person would answer no to, including myself.
Would you have preferred if I'd made it a longer, perhaps excessively technical post instead? ;)

Minor bump just to point out that I've edited the original post to include logs of the full discussion in IRC, to provide an unbiased source of information with which people can possibly re-evaluate their position on the matter.

Online Now